5-year-old-girl trampled to death at rodeo

kahskye

Inactive
Reaction score
TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- Rodeo parade spectators watched in horror Thursday as a 5-year-old girl was thrown off her mount and trampled by an out-of-control team of horses pulling a wagon. She later died.

The girl, identified by police as Brielle Boisvert, was three years younger than the age minimum stated in the parade's online entry form.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/22/rodeo.death.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Oh my, how sad!

kahskye said:
TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- Rodeo parade spectators watched in horror Thursday as a 5-year-old girl was thrown off her mount and trampled by an out-of-control team of horses pulling a wagon. She later died.

The girl, identified by police as Brielle Boisvert, was three years younger than the age minimum stated in the parade's online entry form.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/22/rodeo.death.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Oh my, how sad!

That is truly very sady...
:(

Absolutely tragic. :(

Authorities said they would determine whether criminal charges were warranted.

i have no doubt everyone involved in this is desperately upset and will never forgive themselves, so i don't see as criminal charges would be any point. how would punishing them hurt them more?

Floh said:
Absolutely tragic. :(

Authorities said they would determine whether criminal charges were warranted.

i have no doubt everyone involved in this is desperately upset and will never forgive themselves, so i don't see as criminal charges would be any point. how would punishing them hurt them more?
Just terrible, that poor child was probably so excited to be in that parade. I think besides the parents. LE will want to see if the wagon driver or someone else was neglegent and or, caused the horses to spook and go out of control.

bigbuck said:
Just terrible, that poor child was pobably so excited to be in that parade. I think besides the parents. LE will want to see if the wagon driver or someone else was neglegent and or, caused the horses to spook and go out of control.
I don't know about Arizona but in Florida if a horse causes injury the owner cannot be held responsible.
IMO the only neglect here was the parents who permitted the child in the parade when she did not meet the minimum age requierment.

Amraann said:
I don't know about Arizona but in Florida if a horse causes injury the owner cannot be held responsible.
IMO the only neglect here was the parents who permitted the child in the parade when she did not meet the minimum age requierment.
exactly- :mad:

Wouldn't you think that after they had the problem with the spooked horses before they might rethink things? The mayor and his wife had been injured in a previous parade.
I think maybe criminal charges should be brought. I'm not sure though who they should charge. The people who organized the parade and let the underage child in or the parents for neglect. I'm sure they feel horrible already but it might keep other people from putting their children in the parade.

lizzybeth said:
Wouldn't you think that after they had the problem with the spooked horses before they might rethink things? The mayor and his wife had been injured in a previous parade.
I think maybe criminal charges should be brought. I'm not sure though who they should charge. The people who organized the parade and let the underage child in or the parents for neglect. I'm sure they feel horrible already but it might keep other people from putting their children in the parade.

I think the death of this child will keep parents from putting underage children in the parade and i believe the organisers are likely to be more vigilant next time.

Amraann said:
Even if the child HAD been the minimum age requirement, it sounds like she would have been killed by the runaway horses. It was a freak accident. I certainly can't blame the parents who must be shattered by this.

Very tragic but I have to say it was also preventable. Just the year before, the mayor and his wife were injured in this parade. This girl was to young to be in control of the horse with so many other horses all around her, it mentions 2 other girls were able to get out of the wagons way. I have no doubt they were older than the 5 year old. I'm sure the parents did not see this coming and she may have been an expert horse rider for a 5 year old but she still was to young to be in the parade like she was, it would have been so much better if the family had riden together somehow, maybe in a cart, she could have been in the parade but not alone like she was.

Vegas Bride said:
Very tragic but I have to say it was also preventable. Just the year before, the mayor and his wife were injured in this parade. This girl was to young to be in control of the horse with so many other horses all around her, it mentions 2 other girls were able to get out of the wagons way. I have no doubt they were older than the 5 year old. I'm sure the parents did not see this coming and she may have been an expert horse rider for a 5 year old but she still was to young to be in the parade like she was, it would have been so much better if the family had riden together somehow, maybe in a cart, she could have been in the parade but not alone like she was.

I feel horrible for the parents but I agree with your post. I was going to mention the girls who were able to get out of the way but you already did.
They probably were older.
She shouldn't have been out there. It's just tragic for everyone involved, including the spectators. How terrible it had to have been to see that happen. Terribly sad.

montana_16 said:
I feel horrible for the parents but I agree with your post. I was going to mention the girls who were able to get out of the way but you already did.
They probably were older.
She shouldn't have been out there. It's just tragic for everyone involved, including the spectators. How terrible it had to have been to see that happen. Terribly sad.
I don't think we can assume that the girls who got out of the way were older. It's apparent that under age people were participating.

southcitymom said:
I don't think we can assume that the girls who got out of the way were older. It's apparent that under age people were participating.
The age requirement was 8.. I would hope there was not many parents who ignored that.
I hold the parents more responsible then the parade organizers.

The parents of Brielle Boisvert — the 5-year-old killed while riding in the Tucson Rodeo Parade on Thursday — never saw or were told any rules about the age of children allowed in the parade, the child's grandmother said Friday.

"It has really been a rough day. What can you do at a time like this, when you lose a little granddaughter, a twin?" asked Cindy Boisvert. Brielle has a twin brother, Braden. Noting that her son and his wife home-schooled all four of their children, she said: "Their children are so well-behaved. This is a family that follows the rules. They are just an excellent family."
And she repeated what so many who know the family have said — that Brielle was a skilled and capable rider. "She has been riding for years. She rides very well, and she has a very dependable horse."

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/rodeo/170749

Here's another article.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/breakingnews/43004.php

Brielle was from a ranching family and grew up with horses, riding since she was 3, family friends said. She was riding her own horse in the parade. Family members could not be reached for information about the animal.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/43003.php

southcitymom said:
The fatal accident occurred while Brielle — who was the Sonoita Rodeo's "Little Miss" — was riding with three older girls as part of the Sonoita Rodeo Royalty entry in the Fiesta de los Vaqueros Rodeo Parade.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/rodeo/170749

Here's another article. If you scroll down to the bottom right, there's a picture of Brielle w/ her 11 yr old sister and the two other riders in the parade.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/42906.php

Well, #13 of the instruction sheet specifically states that no child mounted under age 8.

http://www.tucsonrodeoparade.com/Pages001/Entry_form_instructions.htm

Here's the entry form, which specifically states

PLEASE Read The Instruction Sheet Before Filling Out This Form

http://www.tucsonrodeoparade.com/Pages001/Entry_form.htm

This is just a tragic accident that took the life of a beautiful little girl and it could have been avoided, but now is not the time to lash out at her parents or the Rodeo. I think her parents have already been dealt w/ the worse punishment, they lost their precious daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back