6-year-old found dead in backyard microwave

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 24, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Missing girl found dead in backyard microwave (San Antonio Express-News)
    (more at link above)

2. Loading...

3. Quiche

Quiche New Member

It boggles the mind! Poor child, man... :cry:

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Mind-boggling is right. I had to blink twice (maybe three times) when I saw that headline, while perusing the Express-News online. Poor parents, poor siblings, and poor neighborhood too. And I can't imagine that large of microwave oven, though I did find this pic of an ancient one. (It's from 1947.) A microwave oven in the backyard - was it operable, or just junk setting around? Mind-boggling.

5. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

Terribly tragic. :( I hope this story will cause people to double-check to make sure they don't have something large enough to trap a child just laying around.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I did a Google aerial view of that street & neighborhood and nobody's back yard looked like a scrap pile. The ones I could see looked very clean; trees blocked the view on some though.

7. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

Oh dear. Just a reminder to everyone, take any doors off things you are not taking to the dump right away, and any feet of furniture, btw.

There are microwaves large enough out there for a child to think it is a cool cubby hole for hide and seek or a fort/club.

Shivers, reminds me of the drug films they showed us in the late '70's early '80's. Shiver. Horrible, horrible things. Those films should be shown to all preteens and teens. I will not tell you what we were shown, but most of you will know.

8. BeanE

BeanE Inactive

This is worth repeating!

9. Logger

Logger New Member

Any unused refrigerator's doors should be removed.

10. BeanE

BeanE Inactive

[​IMG]

Rest in peace, Becky Herrera :blowkiss:

11. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

tragic. When looking around our neighborhoods, it is important to remember to look at it from child's perspective and viewpoint. get down on your knees to get to their eye level. Think like a child. What to an adult may look like an obvious hazard or a dark dirty smelly place, to a child would look like a perfect hiding spot, a secret hideout, etc.

Rest in peace child. My Prayers for her loved ones. What an awful awful thing to have to accept.

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Some new info added to the Express-News story:
    much more at link below:

Missing girl found dead in backyard microwave

13. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

Poor baby!!! :(
    I can not imagine what all she went through and what all went through her head.

The thought of it makes me shiver.

Poor baby.

14. Nova

Nova Active Member

It's possible she simply went to sleep while waiting for someone to find her and let her out. She may not have realized the danger she was in. I hope she didn't.

15. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

I really hope you are right.

16. UFO

UFO Member

Again and again. Reminds me of a similar tragedy 4 years ago. Unimaginable horror in both cases.

http://www.ketv.com/news/13697801/detail.html

Rest in peace Becky and James.

====================================
    MOO

17. Fairy1

Fairy1 No Country for Old Men

I'm having a bit of trouble buying this story. Neither one of my kids could have fit into a microwave oven at the age of 6.

Am I the only one???

18. Lucid

Lucid Reality continues to ruin my life.

The really big huge ones from the 80's - I think my 7 year old could fit. He's very small. He was the shortest in his class last year, and is not even 4 feet tall yet (and he's been in a growth spurt recently! A couple of months ago he was even smaller!). There's preschoolers taller than he is...

I think he could fit, no problem. Might be an uncomfortable position with head at an angle... but he could fit. And apparently, others can too, as this has happened before... What a terrible way to go.

What I wonder more about is how they close the door from the inside... There's not really a latch to grab onto. All the microwaves I've ever seen require pressure to close the door that last inch.

19. Dave AHFB

Dave AHFB Guest

Usually a microwave is about 1 - 1.2 cubic feet, this was 4 cubic feet. Combine that with the fact that this girl was very small for her age due to health issues.