8.05.10 -Sources: 2 friends gave Terri Horman cell phones

Shows what a "good friend" Terri is to her friends, to ask them to get involved in her legal mess by "aiding and abetting" and buying her cell phones.
With friends like that you don't need enemies.

I did a favor for a "friend" (someone I barely knew but considered a friend) when I was in my very early 20''s, she asked me to cash her grandmothers income tax refund check because her grandmother had no bank account. I was dumb and naive back then and deposited the check in my account then withdrew the money and gave it to her for her "grandmother". It turned out to be a stolen refund check and I did 8 years on federal probation for that. Thank God I had no previous record or I might have gone to jail- Federal Prison! So, that's why I say she must not think too much of her "good friends" to get them involved in her legal problems. The Feds don't care if you are naive and think you are just doing a friend a favor. They might wind up in some serious trouble. "Thanks, Terri!"

BBM

Wow, Abbie. That's a tough lesson to learn. Sheesh with "friends" like that...

That's what I don't get. Maybe some information is being left out. If the police took her phone why would they be baffled by her friend buying her a new one? Would they still need to investigate why her friend bought the phone? The police can't be that dumb that this is a big question to them.

Also, if her attorney told her she should get a new phone. Why won't he just say that's what he did. Why is he responding with a no comment type answer? What did he say? "I can't comment on that outside of court." Something like that? If my lawyer asked me to buy a new phone, and then left me out to dry like that, I think I would fire him.

Am I understanding this right?

Maybe her atty DIDN'T tell her to get a new phone, as all conversations would be traceable via bill and texts could be retreived later on by LE. If Terri was running her mouth on her new cell(s) and says incriminating things, that would be easy enough for LE to get, right? So I would think Houzer would DISCOUARGE all kinds of electronic communications by Terri, phone, email, FB, twittering, etc.
I could be wrong.

And JMO.

Maybe her atty DIDN'T tell her to get a new phone, as all conversations would be traceable via bill and texts could be retreived later on by LE. If Terri was running her mouth on her new cell(s) and says incriminating things, that would be easy enough for LE to get, right? So I would think Houzer would DISCOUARGE all kinds of electronic communications by Terri, phone, email, FB, twittering, etc.
I could be wrong.

And JMO.

Oh, I think it is very possible that Houze discouraged TH from all kinds of electronic and verbal communications. That kind of advice makes perfect sense for a defense attorney to give.

I disagree with the traceability of a new phone though. If the phone she was given was one of the throw away types, there would be no way to trace the calls or texts. She would have had to have been caught with the phone. If she used the phone then disposed of it no one is any the wiser.

That's why these phones are often associated with criminal activity. You don't have to sign up for anything like you do when you purchase a cell phone plan. When you're done with it, you pitch it. Nothing to connect the phone with any particular user.

You can bet that if Houze did want TH to get a new phone, he would have arranged the purchase through his firm in order to avoid exactly what is happening right now. Maybe her friends knew there was someone she HAD to talk to every day and they took it upon themselves to provide the phones. I believe the GJ is the best thing that could possibly happen in this case right now and it is the only way we can ever possibly find out what happened to little Kyron.

Oh, I think it is very possible that Houze discouraged TH from all kinds of electronic and verbal communications. That kind of advice makes perfect sense for a defense attorney to give.

I disagree with the traceability of a new phone though. If the phone she was given was one of the throw away types, there would be no way to trace the calls or texts. She would have had to have been caught with the phone. If she used the phone then disposed of it no one is any the wiser.

That's why these phones are often associated with criminal activity. You don't have to sign up for anything like you do when you purchase a cell phone plan. When you're done with it, you pitch it. Nothing to connect the phone with any particular user.

It could be she called one or more people who reported it to LE. She would then be connected to that number.

Thanks, Tuffy. I don't know anything about these types of phones. If the person who provided the phones to Terri had the purchase and/or activation info, could LE possibly retrieve records through that info either with permission of the purchaser or via subpoena?

I would like to know more about the "throwaway" phones. I don't believe they would be 100% untraceable. If LE determined that XYZ phone number was a number that did indeed belong to TH, I would think they could still contact the carrier and get the texts and history of the phone. Obviously, getting the phone with phony information might initially throw them off track about phone ownership. People have communicated with her on these phones. They know it was it her phone. I would think that many of the pay as you go plans are major carriers that would still retain information like a contracted phone, although that is JMO.

Seems like it would be good option for short-term criminal use to communicate with your other criminal cohorts but not sure it would be as "useful" in a case like this. :waitasec:

Also, I would be willing to bet that she texted from the phone and would therefore identify herself and her association with the phone because the recipient's records could be traced (even if hers couldn't).

Yeah, like Steadfast was saying, if she used throwaway phones and someone she called with them can produce the actual phone numbers for LE, maybe the carrier would have the records?

If you know the number of the phone, you can go online and see all calls made from and to the phone. My daughter had one of these phones and started getting lots of "crank" calls so she called the provider and they told her what to do. It's really kind of neat, even if the caller blocks their number, it will still show up online! Imagine my daughter's tormenters reaction when she called her and said I know who you are, so cut it out!

I have a feeling her atty gets "shocks" regarding this case pretty much on a daily basis. I wonder if he's sorry he took this case on? I also get the feeling she is NOT being anything close to honest with him about the truth of the event(s). That will come back to bite her in the butt if this goes to trial. Also he can't arrange a plea deal for her if shes not telling the truth. Looks like Terri might be modeling her behavior after our little PPOF, Casey Anthony. Lie, Lie a little bit more, blame others, have a wild, outlandish, and unbeleiveable story/ alibi and keep your mouth shut if all else fails.

JMO

What Is ppof? Sorry, my brain is raw from the latest doc dump in Casey's case. Go read it if you haven't. Makes me so glad that there are no sunshine laws in Kyron's case. OMG as if things could not get crazier in Casey's case.

I really hope Terri quits taking cues from Casey. And also from personal experience, I was going to start a business with a "friend" (an EBay shop), and charged up a credit card to get web cameras and other equipment for the business with a promise from my "friend"'to pay me back. Not only did that never happen, but this same person later broke into my car, stole my purse, and tried to cash a check at my bank using my driver's license. If it wasn't for a bank camera at a really bad angle, I would have got her a jail term for it. That was in my naive days, and now I don't trust people as much, even if they are friends. I'm betting Terri's friends aren't so naive anymore either and I don't blame them. Realizing you were used and you get the police looking into you for it has to make her friends just sick to their stomachs.

To me, the LEAST likely reason for the phones was so Terri could discuss killing Kyron and hiding his body.
I'd guess the first one was bought for privacy, and the second one, because the minutes ran out on the first.

I totally agree, this makes sense.

I also think that it's possible the one or both of the people she got phones from went straight to LE.

Maybe one of the phones was from the person she was sexting with and that was her reason for him to get it for her.

Oh absolutely ITA, she'd have to be "caught" with them, like if it started ringing in her purse as she sat in his office during an appointment, LOL BUT we all know she has 2 cells from "friends", so Houzer does too, and so does LE. Wonder if LE has gotten warrants for the 2 phones that its apparently general knowledge to "everyone" now that she has?

I would like to know more about the "throwaway" phones. I don't believe they would be 100% untraceable. If LE determined that XYZ phone number was a number that did indeed belong to TH, I would think they could still contact the carrier and get the texts and history of the phone. Obviously, getting the phone with phony information might initially throw them off track about phone ownership. People have communicated with her on these phones. They know it was it her phone. I would think that many of the pay as you go plans are major carriers that would still retain information like a contracted phone, although that is JMO.

Seems like it would be good option for short-term criminal use to communicate with your other criminal cohorts but not sure it would be as "useful" in a case like this. :waitasec:

Also, I would be willing to bet that she texted from the phone and would therefore identify herself and her association with the phone because the recipient's records could be traced (even if hers couldn't).

You're right, its not the phone itself that makes it untraceable. It the transaction and the lack of paper trail. If purchased with cash, the transaction to buy it wouldn't have a name attached to it. So unless I have the phone on me when I'm caught, the police have no way of tracking my calls if I had a couple of throw away phone previously.

I ued to have one of these phones, which were called Boost Mobil phones before the term "throwaway" was coined. I thought it wold be less expensive to buy minutes than pay for a cell phone w/ contract, plus they had the walkie talkie feature which everyone in my family had and that was before regular cell phones (contract & monthly bill kind) had the walkie talkie feature, which I assume now isn't as big of a deal as it used to be cos I never hear that "bloop bloop" sound in public anymore like I used to everywhere I would go, which was the sound of someone contacting you via walkie talkie. Anyway, when I got my "throwaway phone" I still had to provide my name, addy, home phone, etc etc info to activate it. Dunno if I could have done that w/ a made up name or not, I had no reason to be shady about it.
All LE needs to know is the phone number that Terri is supposedly calling from, which is info they could get in grand jury questioning I suppose from her friends who she called w/ her throwaway phones, I dunno. Anyway they then find out who that number is belonging to (which is info given when the throwaway phone was activated) and there they have the name of who provided the phone. Get a warrant for that phone and find out who she has been calling.
One question tho- do the new "throwaway" phones have camera feature cos mine didn't. This was several (like 6) years ago. Also is there a texting ability w/ the throwaway phones, cos there wasn't even such thing as texting when I had mine.
And are we sure the phones were throw away's or did her "friends" just add her to their cell phone plan, get her a phone and a number of her own? I am on family plan w/ 2 other people, we could add a few more if we wanted to for only $9 more per month each, and we have unlimited text and phone usage on our contract. So its do-able this way too, but definately traceable back to the original person on the contract...
FYI and JMO

Sorry, my brain is raw from the latest doc dump in Casey's case. Go read it if you haven't. Makes me so glad that there are no sunshine laws in Kyron's case. OMG as if things could not get crazier in Casey's case.

I really hope Terri quits taking cues from Casey. And also from personal experience, I was going to start a business with a "friend" (an EBay shop), and charged up a credit card to get web cameras and other equipment for the business with a promise from my "friend"'to pay me back. Not only did that never happen, but this same person later broke into my car, stole my purse, and tried to cash a check at my bank using my driver's license. If it wasn't for a bank camera at a really bad angle, I would have got her a jail term for it. That was in my naive days, and now I don't trust people as much, even if they are friends. I'm betting Terri's friends aren't so naive anymore either and I don't blame them. Realizing you were used and you get the police looking into you for it has to make her friends just sick to their stomachs.

I will have to go read the latest doc dumps, have kinda dropped Casey for Kyron lately...

I ued to have one of these phones, which were called Boost Mobil phones before the term "throwaway" was coined. I thought it wold be less expensive to buy minutes than pay for a cell phone w/ contract, plus they had the walkie talkie feature which everyone in my family had and that was before regular cell phones (contract & monthly bill kind) had the walkie talkie feature, which I assume now isn;t as big of a deal as it used to be cos I never hear that "bloop bloop" sound in pblic anymore like I used to everywhere I would go, which was the sound of someone contacting you via walkie talkie. Anyway, when I got my "throwaway phone" I still had to provide my name, addy, home phone, etc etc info to activate it. Dunno if I could have done that w/ a made up name or not, I had no reason to be shady about it.
All LEneeds to know is the phone number that Terri is supposedly calling from, which is info they could get in grand jury questioning I suppose from her friends who she called w/ her throwaway phones, I dunno. Anyway they then find out who that number is belonging to (wich is info given when the throwaway phone was activated) and there they have the name of who provided the phone. Get a warrant for that phone and find out who she has been calling.
One question tho- do the new "throwaway" phones have camera feature cos mine didn't. This was several (like 6) years ago. Also is there a texting ability w/ the throwaway phones, cos there wasn't even such thing as texting when I had mine.
And are we sure the phones were throw away's or did her "friends" just add her to their cell phone plan, get her a phone and a number of her own? I am on family plan w/ 2 other people, we could add a few more if we wanted to for only $9 more per month each, and we have unlimited text and phone usage on our contract. So its do-able this way too, but definately traceable back to the original person on the contract...
FYI and JMO

My husband has a boost mobile. They have text, voicemail, cameras, and internet connections. Anything any other phone would/could have.

my so-worker also has a "throw away" phone and it has text messaging on it also. it isnt a boost though

You're right, its not the phone itself that makes it untraceable. It the transaction and the lack of paper trail. If purchased with cash, the transaction to buy it wouldn't have a name attached to it. So unless I have the phone on me when I'm caught, the police have no way of tracking my calls if I had a couple of throw away phone previously.

But you buy the phone, and then have to call a number to activate it before you can use it to make and receive calls. To activate it you have to give the usual info, name, addy, home phone if any, and some other stuff I can't remember. Possibly you could just make up name and stuff to activate it, I dunno....
Also, cheaper to buy more minutes than it is to buy another phone to use.
I beleive the phone was something like $35, might have been more but definately less than $50, and you can buy more minutes in groups of $10, and up in increments. It comes to $1 a minute when you use those phones.

But you buy the phone, and then have to call a number to activate it before you can use it to make and receive calls. To activate it you have to give the usual info, name, addy, home phone if any, and some other stuff I can't remember. Possibly you could just make up name and stuff to activate it, I dunno....
I beleive the phone was something like $35, might have been more but definately less than $50, and you can buy more minutes in groups of $10, and up in increments. It comes to $1 a minute when you use those phones.

I guess the point of the throw away phone in criminal use is when the criminal is arrested there is not really a way to know if they had used a throw away phone or not. If they did how many did they have, and which companies did they get them through?

If you have to use credit card info to activate them, I guess they (the criminal) would use someone else's card.

My ex just bought my daughter a pre-paid phone to use while she was staying with him for a few weeks. I know he doesn't have a credit card so I'm not sure how he did it. (maybe debit cards work?)

The article didn't specify that TH was provided with a throw away phone though. I guess I'm just speculating about it being one. If she just got a new phone and phone plan, no problems documenting that.

The ones at the dollar store - all one has to do is call a number with the activation code provided on the receipt and it is activated. There is no name, registration, nothing. Most of them come with at least 60 minutes of time. After that, one simply buys the "credit card" type of phone minutes and enters that activation code to add more minutes. Those are the phones I required for my kids before putting them on a plan so that they could learn to manage their cell phone time/texting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back