80 years ago ultimate 'Duster' swept Great Plains

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Apr 14, 2015.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

4. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

How interesting that it is today that we are having a huge wind storm in another part of the country. :dunno:

5. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Two things:

Ken Burns 2 part, 4 hour piece for PBS, The Dustbowl was astoundingly good, and prior to seeing it my knowledge of the actual history of the events over about a decade was miniscule. Its still available to watch for free, just Google it. It should be required viewing in all households.

And, number two, speaking of Google, in addition to Black Sunday, today also marks the 155th anniversary of the first mail delivered by Pony Express on April 14, 1860.
    Today’s Google logo has been replaced with a Pony Express game. It's fun but difficult! Try it!

6. SophieRose

SophieRose New Member

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-pc-california-dust-bowl-drought-20150409-story.html

With a slew of statistics projected on the slideshow behind him, California's state climatologist had a stark warning during a Thursday presentation on the severity of the drought.

"You’re looking on numbers that are right on par with what was the Dust Bowl," said the climatologist, Michael Anderson.

Scenes from California's Dust Bowl
    http://www.latimes.com/local/great-reads/la-me-c1-drought-timeline-20141210-html-htmlstory.html

7. RLynne

RLynne Verified Expert

"The Worst Hard Time," by Timothy Egan, is a good (if depressing) read on the subject.

8. SophieRose

SophieRose New Member

1992 article

Okies--They Sank Roots and Changed the Heart of California : History: Unwanted and shunned, the 1930s refugees from the Dust Bowl endured, spawning new generations. Their legacy can be found in towns scattered throughout the San Joaquin Valley.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-18/local/me-622_1_san-joaquin-valley

An exact count does not exist, but one study estimates that as many as 3.75 million Californians, one-eighth of the state's 30 million population, claim Okie ancestry.