9 year old girl accidentally shoots, kills instructor with Uzi in Arizona

Owner of gun range where 9-year-old shot dead instructor defends his practices - but says he might now introduce a HEIGHT restriction to improve safety

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tructor-defends-institute-minimum-height.html

From this article:
the girl seemed responsible.
'This was a very mature young lady

Well, alrighty then, let's let her drink, vote, and drive a car- she's "mature"!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Maybe she can smoke too!!!

Is there anything else you would like to ban because an infinitesimal number of people were harmed doing it?

I think it's more a matter of common sense. Surely it is a parent's prerogative in teaching their child to handle guns. But some common sense is necessary. An Uzi isn't a BB gun, after all. In my opinion, it would be sensible for shooting ranges to have age and height/weight restrictions for certain guns, just as amusement parks have such restrictions for certain rides.

Danas questioned why the instructor in Arizona was standing immediately to the left of the Uzi,
which would have recoiled in that direction.

"It's an awful shame," he said. He shouldn't have been to the left side of the gun...
But that child should not have been shooting anything other than a single-shot firearm.""

Danas, whose daughters are 11 and 13, said his girls learned to shoot when they were 4 years old, with a single-shot, .22-caliber pistol.

Greg Block, who runs California-based Self-Defense Firearms Training, said not only was the Uzi the wrong gun to use --
"That's not a kid's gun" -- but that instructors should stand to the rear and to the right of the shooter.

"He was literally in the line of fire," Block said of the instructor.
"He did pretty much everything wrong, and I don't like saying that because it cost the man his life."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/us/arizona-girl-fatal-shooting-accident/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"That's not a kid's gun". This sentence makes me want to puke.

If her parent's were irresponsible enough to think that there is nothing wrong with teaching a 9 year old girl to use an Uzi, then they are not going to be the wisest parents to nurture the traumatised child through the aftermath of this tragic death (of the instructor). To tell the girl "it is not your fault" means they have to face the fact that it was "THEIR FAULT". I doubt this poor girls parents want to see it that way, her problems are far from over. Just my opinion.
I think the parents would prefer to think that she was just not strong enough..that makes it her fault..not theirs. She has to go home with these <modsnip> parents, and they have to nurture her, and they are just too <modsnip> to be capable of that. Just my opinion.

I agree with all of this. She's got a very scary road ahead. :(

I think this thread could quickly turn into a gun debate , which would be a shame. The fact is it's legal in the state where this happened, obviously, like it or not. The other fact is any responsible gun owner should agree that this was a bad idea from the word go. I feel her parents must not be familiar with fire arms and this was a glorified photo op for the family. Anyone who is used to using guns would know that is too much.
I live in very rural Texas. So , of course we have guns. Owning, firing or even touching an UZI has never crossed my mind. They scare me and I don't see any reason for a regular citizen to own one. I really cannot believe this facility would allow a child to no matter if her parents gave consent. I mean I can give consent for my kid to go fly an airplane tomorrow . Does that mean the airport should allow it?

According to the review site TripAdvisor, Bullets and Burgers it the #1 review-rated attraction in Las Vegas. (#2 is another 'automatic weapon tourism' style attraction called Battlefield Vegas.)

Wow!

Yes, because when I am looking for family-fun venues, I go for the words "Bullets" and "Battlefield".

WTH is wrong with us as a society?

From this article:
the girl seemed responsible.
'This was a very mature young lady

Well, alrighty then, let's let her drink, vote, and drive a car- she's "mature"!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Maybe she can smoke too!!!

Yeah, well don't you know, mature people never have accidents :rolleyes:

I hear ya', but I;m not saying that it's pointing out someone is an enormous risk taker and knowingly accepted that risk that equals a belief that they deserved it. I'm saying that it's failing to feel any sorrow for them because, hey, whatever, they "knew the risks" and acted anyhow. That is what seems to show a belief that they got what they deserved. Otherwise, there should be, IMO, some sorrow for them.

Oh and I don't believe this guy went into that situation with full knowledge that something like this could happen or that it was a risk. That makes no sense. Should've known and did know are two different things. (I do think he should've known, however).

I hear you, too. I guess I am just at a point where I am frustrated by the lack of common sense being used by some parents. IMO many have an attitude of if it is allowed, it must be ok.
I honestly don't understand not having a mindset of things being ok for some children, but does that mean it is ok for my child, and asking oneself is my child prepared to handle such a situation, before making a decision allowing a child to participate.

Then when I read Mr. Vacca and the tour guide drove this family from their hotel to the shooting range, it was very clear they were out marketing this place. It angers me to no end that this bullets and burgers place was out soliciting in hotels. It's one thing if the parents find and choose the place, it's another if this type of business is soliciting at hotels-or any place that tourists stay.

I hear you, too. I guess I am just at a point where I am frustrated by the lack of common sense being used by some parents. IMO many have an attitude of if it is allowed, it must be ok.
I honestly don't understand not having a mindset of things being ok for some children, but does that mean it is ok for my child, and asking oneself is my child prepared to handle such a situation, before making a decision allowing a child to participate.

Then when I read Mr. Vacca and the tour guide drove this family from their hotel to the shooting range, it was very clear they were out marketing this place. It angers me to no end that this bullets and burgers place was out soliciting in hotels. It's one thing if the parents find and choose the place, it's another if this type of business is soliciting at hotels-or any place that tourists stay.

And probably said words to the effect of '' of course it's safe, kids do this all the time, trust me, i know what i'm talking about, would i let your child do this if it were not safe ? '' Ugh !

hundreds of children died last year riding bikes. It is OBVIOUSLY safer to have them in cars...WHEN WILL WE SEE THE DAMAGE and when is ENOUGH ENOUGH? See what I did there?

Except for every kid that occasionally gets to shoot an UZI, I'm sure there are thousands upon thousands that ride their bikes near daily. And beyond that, there are health benefits to bike riding. I'm not sure of the benefits of shooting automatic weapons.

It's utterly delusional to claim that children "far younger" than nine years of age can be depended on to safely handle firearms. Nope, nope, nope.......NEVER. The notion that people intentionally expose innocent children to firearms is sickening.

Wrong! A bike is not a weapon designed with the sole purpose to kill. There was no good reason for this girl to handle a weapon, let alone a machine gun designed for an army!!!
Even some NRA members are coming out and saying they would not have let a 9-year-old child shoot an Uzi!

I love how you appear to have taken something used for entertainment as well (they PAID to do this), and simply decided it is ONLY for killing.

It's utterly delusional to claim that children "far younger" than nine years of age can be depended on to safely handle firearms. Nope, nope, nope.......NEVER. The notion that people intentionally expose innocent children to firearms is sickening.

I disagree. There is a broad width of what is considered a firearm. While I am quite liberal and pro gun control, I have absolutely no problem with my children learning to handle guns. My father is a hunter, it's what he enjoys, and he likes to share it with my kids.

However there is a right way and a wrong way to expose kids to guns. My children share a pellet rifle. They all three put on safety glasses before it's pulled out, and they most basic rules are gone over before it even comes out of the closet. Never point at anything you do not plan to shoot. Keep it pointed at the ground when not in use. Etc. It's honestly no more dangerous than their bows and arrows- which they have proven they are responsible enough to target with unsupervised. We don't allow them the rifle unsupervised, but that's mainly because it's a lesson every time it comes out.

The only thing I have not liked so far is that the 22 my father has purchased is a bright color. I don't want my kids to equate real guns with toys or novelties.

I think this thread could quickly turn into a gun debate , which would be a shame. The fact is it's legal in the state where this happened, obviously, like it or not. The other fact is any responsible gun owner should agree that this was a bad idea from the word go. I feel her parents must not be familiar with fire arms and this was a glorified photo op for the family. Anyone who is used to using guns would know that is too much.
I live in very rural Texas. So , of course we have guns. Owning, firing or even touching an UZI has never crossed my mind. They scare me and I don't see any reason for a regular citizen to own one. I really cannot believe this facility would allow a child to no matter if her parents gave consent. I mean I can give consent for my kid to go fly an airplane tomorrow . Does that mean the airport should allow it?
Maybe they thought she'd be fighting Al Queda terrorists or a Zombie Army.

This accident IS the perfect argument for gun control. Why do we let kids learn how to use guns? Why do we let the mentally ill get access to guns? It's bad enough that the average citizen has rights to guns to "stand their ground". I think only LE needs guns. We no longer need "well-regulated militias". Today's society was NOT the intention of the founding fathers when they created the 2nd amendment. And this is my opinion. I made my husband give up his guns when he moved in with me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back