A Serial Killer, a Receipt, and My Mom: Haunted by the Murder of 33 Boys

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by Brubeck, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Brubeck

Brubeck take five

A Serial Killer, a Receipt, and My Mom: Haunted by the Murder of 33 Boys
    My mom’s role in capturing the prolific serial killer, John Wayne Gacy, has haunted me
    since I was a child. This summer, I sat down with her after he re-emerged in the news
    cycle to get an insight into how he affected her motherhood—and ultimately my own

My mom first met Gacy on December 11, 1978, a particularly cold evening in suburban Illinois. That night, my mom, then 17, and her friend and co-worker, Rob Piest, were working a shift at Nisson Pharmacy. A large strange man thudded to work a contracting job at the pharmacy. My mom thought he seemed out of place and asked her boss, “Who’s that?” It was slow, typical of a Monday, so Rob spent time restocking shelves and my mom worked the cash register. At some point she developed a roll of film. She had forgotten her jacket that night, so she asked to borrow Rob’s favorite blue parka. Every time the front doors opened, a frigid cold wind would swoop in. So he lent it to her. At around 8 p.m., when his shift was almost over, when Gacy asked to speak with Rob out back about a summer job that would pay him double what he made at the pharmacy, he took his jacket back, went outside, and was never seen again.

2. BraveMom

BraveMom New Member

I've always felt Rob and Kim were the ones who actually stopped the killing. The police were not even aware of the scope of Gacy's crimes til "a good guy" like Rob was taken. He brought justice for all the boys and young men that Gacy victimized.

Catmammy and Damarna like this.
  3. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

WOW. I actually didn't know anything about how he was actually caught. Amazing story.

Betty P likes this.
  4. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the WS for the unidentified victims of Gacy.

IL - IL - The Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

I hope they're all identified soon.

Gacy was abominable, monster is an apt description. He was a textbook sociopath, capable of turning on the charm, putting up a good appearance when necessary, but hiding a twisted, cruel, manipulative personality. Many articles state his friends and neighbors described him as a nice guy, but in reality he seldom exhibited those traits. I've read a couple of books about him in which co-workers, family members and others describe him as cruel, insulting, verbally abusive, angry, mean. He treated his wives and children very badly. Most chilling was the book by Jason Moss, who corresponded with an interviewed Gacy in prison.

Jason Moss (writer) - Wikipedia

Catmammy likes this.