Aaron Spelling dies at 83

JBean said:
I LOVED Burke's Law. Gene Barry was a dream. I loved him as Bat Masterson too
I remember thinking it was funny that his chauffeur would cuss him out over the intercom when he would wake him up in the middle of the night to go out and solve crime. I always wondered if "Carlton the Door Man" on RHODA wasn't a tip of the hat to that character.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I remember thinking it was funny that his chauffeur would cuss him out over the intercom when he would wake him up in the middle of the night to go out and solve crime. I always wondered if "Carlton the Door Man" on RHODA wasn't a tip of the hat to that character.
LMAO, never even thought of that..bet you are right!

BillyGoatGruff said:
Think just how cooler/better looking Tori would have been if her biological mom had been her dad's first wife Carolyn "Morticia Addams" Jones.

Oh, wow, she was?? I didn't know that. I LOVED Carolyn Jones...she was so pretty, even as "Morticia"...lol. I had no idea Spelling was married to her first.

Yeah, poor Tori....she just isn't pretty...she has her dad's luminous brown eyes but her mother's facial bone structure and it just isn't attractive.

nanandjim said:
Apparently, the back-to-back marriages are okay. The linked articles say that Tori's parents were estranged from her after she poked fun at the Ebay room in the parents' home. So what??!! They have mega amounts of money. What is the big deal about poking fun of the Ebay room that the mother has??

As Dr. Phil would say, 'It's really not about the Ebay room. The problem stems from something else...' :rolleyes:

ROFL...the 'Ebay Room'...that's hilarious. :laugh:

I have always thought tht Tori was VERY unattractive....

englishleigh said:
Oh, wow, she was?? I didn't know that. I LOVED Carolyn Jones...she was so pretty, even as "Morticia"...lol. I had no idea Spelling was married to her first.

Yeah, poor Tori....she just isn't pretty...she has her dad's luminous brown eyes but her mother's facial bone structure and it just isn't attractive.
Spelling and Jones remained close friends through out the rest of her life. Apparently he paid her medical bills when she succumbed to cancer in the 1970s.

englishleigh said:
What's the problem with the mom? Does it have anything to do with Tori's back-to-back marriages in the past few years? That is a shame. I'm so glad Tori made it up with her father before he passed away.
I'm sure the back-to-back marriages didn't help, but my understanding is that Tori and Candy have always had problems. Candy was supposedly very hard on Tori growing up - constantly critiquing her appearance, her decisions, her friends, etc. Everything just kept building and building. Tori poked fun publicly at her mom's extravagant lifestyle and her Mom was really offended. I feel like she was in a bit of a no win situation here though. Interviewers always ask her about the Spelling mansion's infamous ebay and gift wrapping rooms. If Tori didn't respond in a joking manner and poke fun at that, the tabloids would have had a field day. Needless to say, when Tori's show on VH1 came out, NoTORIous, the problems really escalated. I don't know if anyone has seen the show, but Loni Anderson portrays Candy as a really vapid and shallow, overly-critical, domineering mom. I'm sure the character is overly-exaggerated to some extent, but there are definitely layers of truth there as well.

I feel badly when people criticize Tori because she is a really nice person who is pretty harmless. She might not be the smartest girl, but she has always come off as sincere to me. She is very close with a couple of my good friends and I've never witnessed her acting diva like or anything. I can't imagine that it must have been easy to hear and read about how "ugly" you are when you are a 15 kid acting on a tv show.

nanandjim said:
Apparently, the back-to-back marriages are okay. The linked articles say that Tori's parents were estranged from her after she poked fun at the Ebay room in the parents' home. So what??!! They have mega amounts of money. What is the big deal about poking fun of the Ebay room that the mother has??

What exactly is an "Ebay room"? Is it a room devoted to selling on ebay or a room filled with all of the junk bought on ebay??

I agree that Tori isn't conventionally pretty, but I've always thought she had an interesting face that was different, but still attractive. Her eyes are gorgeous. But I always think the less conventional looking, the better. Hmm, probably 'cuz I fit into that category!!

I happened to watch entertainment tonite earlier and some reporter was saying that Tori found out about her father's death via email or text message (can't remember) while she was out having dinner with her husband in Canada. She was upset to learn that way and not from family.

Also, they didn't mention the 'EBay Room' but they did say that Tori has been upset with her mother because she has been having a relationship with an old family friend - the one that introduced her to Aaron.

I found it sad that Tori's name was not included here (bolding mine):

"Our extreme sadness and grief is comforted by the overwhelming number of heartfelt calls we have received," Candy and Randy Spelling said in a statement released earlier by Sasaki. "We are truly grateful for the outpouring of love and sympathy expressed by so many friends and colleagues who knew Aaron. Our family is truly appreciative of everyone's love and support."

Source link

Years ago, I thought I knew Candy from high school but now I'm not sure it's the same lovely person I remembered. Her maiden name was Mahrer or similar...does anyone know exactly what/how it was spelled or if I even have that right? (My yearbook is in the garage, ha)

Not too long ago when Aaron appeared on Larry King, Tori called in. I thought how fortunate she was to have such a close & loving relationship with her father; but at the same time, I worried what would happen to her when he passed. I had no idea until recently that she and her Mother did not get along. I take all the stories I read with a large grain of salt, per usual, but these latest reports ring as likely and sadly true.

As for her looks, I may not believe the parrot story but I like her face. And yes, it must have been very difficult for a teen girl to learn what ppl were saying...then again, that's the way it is anymore and that is most disturbing.

Ok just bumping this to find out what an Ebay room is!
Someone else asked but noone answered...

And what's the parrot story all about??

narlacat said:
Ok just bumping this to find out what an Ebay room is!
Someone else asked but noone answered...

And what's the parrot story all about??

Hi Naralcat - This eBay room is linked here in post #7 here - it's the 2nd one (socialitelife).

Tori has a new show on VH1 (sonoTORIous). Apparently in the first episode she makes fun of the eBay room in her parents house. A friend said "her mother has a huge shopping problem and has a whole room dedicated to the stuff she buys on the site."

Candy apparently threatened to sue.

Can't help you with the parrot - dunno.

Does the parrot have to do with Tori's nose? Like it bit her, so she had some work done.

jilly said:
I happened to watch entertainment tonite earlier and some reporter was saying that Tori found out about her father's death via email or text message (can't remember) while she was out having dinner with her husband in Canada. She was upset to learn that way and not from family.

Also, they didn't mention the 'EBay Room' but they did say that Tori has been upset with her mother because she has been having a relationship with an old family friend - the one that introduced her to Aaron.

CANDY has been having a relationship? Oh, MY.

I thought it was horrid that they did not include Tori in the appreciation statement made to the press. What a shame.

reportertype said:
Does the parrot have to do with Tori's nose? Like it bit her, so she had some work done.

Ok I get it I think you're right. I googled and it says she admitted to having some nose corrective surgery after a parrot bit her. Maybe some people think that she was making the part about the parrot up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back