ABC Cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live'

Daisyjane

"All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're ov
Reaction score
I just spotted this on the breaking news wire, so it's no longer rumor, but fact:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/04/14/abc-cancels-all-my-children-one-life-to-live/

ABC has pulled the plug on its long-running soaps 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'According to the network, the final episode of 'All My Children' will air this September. 'One Life to Live' will air January 2012. The network will replace the soaps with two new shows, 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'

"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture's history," Brian Frons, president of daytime at Disney ABC/Television Group, said in a statement. "Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history."

Full article can be read at above link

The first time I watched All My Children was in grade school! It was on in the afternoons, as was Dark Shadows, lol.

The first time I watched All My Children was in grade school! It was on in the afternoons, as was Dark Shadows, lol.

I'm a hardcore addict of both shows since their inception. I expect I'll go into some kinda withdrawal when they go dark!

so sad -- but I think soaps have been going by the wayside for a long time. SAHM's would watch them, but so many moms work today (even if they TIVO it), I guess it's not the same. My mum used to watch Young and the Restless every day! I was a Days of our Lives fan for many years, but now have a rule that I don't turn on the tele unless it's about a case that I just can't miss. Otherwise, I turn it on at 3:00 to see what Dr. Phil is up to, or spend time with my son helping him with homework and whatnot.

Sad, but not really shocking.

MOO

Mel

Even though I don't watch any soaps anymore, this makes me sad. They are a staple of daytime TV. I guess it's one more thing to add to the long list of changes in the times. :(

I've felt that soaps were going downhill for a number of years, for sheer lack of storyline material. In the sixties, divorce and living together before marriage were considered controversial. In the seventies, interracial relationships and abortion were still shocking. But nowadays all those issues are commonplace. So the writers resorted to stories of gangsters, kidnapping, murder etc. Whereas we once tuned in to see 'Love in the afternoon', we are now subjected to 'Blood in the afternoon'. Maybe if the writers had tried exploring areas like parenting, aging, social issues etc, perhaps they could have retained more viewers. Just my opinion.

I get a little misty every time I hear a soap has been cancelled, which seems to be happening more often lately. I haven't watched them much in recent years, but I grew up watching them every summer with my mom - nice memories. I can't imagine Susan Lucci and Erica Slezak not being on TV!

Okay, I'm saying it-- Susan Lucci has aged really well! Her plastic surgeon is to be commended, assuming she has one. jmo

The "soap opera" genre has, at long last, jumped the shark. Daytime drama often dared to go where prime-time television couldn't (or wouldn't), but reality TV programming and cable access to a plethora of alternative networks has more than filled the void. Scripted "sensational" drama is a thing of the past.

Now to where will we turn to satisfy our need for long lost twins who come back from the dead after being abducted by aliens only to kidnap their sister's husbands to force him to artificially inseminate her so she can replace her uncle in line to inherit the family publishing business, because she doesn't know the uncle is being tracked by the mob for his secret involvement in last sweep's major airplane crash that killed Cort's new wife Penelope on their way to their honeymoon, even though his first wife wasn't really dead and only had amnesia???

Man, you really can't beat the classics. :crazy:

I'm sad for nostalgic reasons because I used to be addicted to those shows. First it was "All My Children", then "Ryan's Hope", then "One Life to Live", then "General Hospital" then "Days of Our Lives". I would move on from one to the other. But that's been years... One day I just got fed up with how stupid the serial killer plot was, where they killed off most of the major characters, only to find out they didn't really die, and how much time I invested/wasted in watching them, and wallked away without looking back. That was years ago...

Im sad to see soaps getting canceled. I use to watch GH and sometimes catch a glimps at it. I would be sad to ever see it go. I watched it with my mom when I was young, and watch the same characters. BUT the shows are soooo slow. The drag and drag for months, and seriously is Days on??? how many times did Marlana need to go crazy... I usaully just look up spoilers and don't even need to watch.

Now to where will we turn to satisfy our need for long lost twins who come back from the dead after being abducted by aliens only to kidnap their sister's husbands to force him to artificially inseminate her so she can replace her uncle in line to inherit the family publishing business, because she doesn't know the uncle is being tracked by the mob for his secret involvement in last sweep's major airplane crash that killed Cort's new wife Penelope on their way to their honeymoon, even though his first wife wasn't really dead and only had amnesia???

Man, you really can't beat the classics.
I remember Cort! He was a hunk- he turned up as a janitor in an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch!!!

I'm sad for nostalgic reasons because I used to be addicted to those shows. First it was "All My Children", then "Ryan's Hope", then "One Life to Live", then "General Hospital" then "Days of Our Lives". I would move on from one to the other. But that's been years... One day I just got fed up with how stupid the serial killer plot was, where they killed off most of the major characters, only to find out they didn't really die, and how much time I invested/wasted in watching them, and wallked away without looking back. That was years ago...

haha yeah Days really has some weird, not even real, couldn't ever happen story lines.

I haven't seen AMC or OLTL in several years but I still try to keep up with what's going on with General Hospital (very poor writing there these days so it's not hard to follow the show even checking in just once or twice a week) and you have to wonder if GH's days are not numbered as well. It makes me sad to see the soaps go away- they were a big part of my life growing up - watching GH with my great grandmother, watching AMC, OLTL and GH with newly married friends (cutting college classes to do so), and even getting my own daughter interested in some of my favorite soap characters (Lucky on GH, Anna Devane etc). Very sad to read about this- but ultimately not very surprised :(

Okay, I'm saying it-- Susan Lucci has aged really well! Her plastic surgeon is to be commended, assuming she has one. jmo

No one can age THAT wonderfully! She does look good! She's about as big around as my little finger is though - I always think "feed her a sandwich" whenever I see her on TV - she's SO tiny! I have to wonder if she's ever eaten a full meal in the last 40 years!

haha yeah Days really has some weird, not even real, couldn't ever happen story lines.

That's why I stopped watching it. Right around the time Deidrea Hall turned into a demon!

This was not to be the end of their turmoil, because soon afterwards Marlena was possessed by a demon called Sucubus. John, who due to Stefano's manipulations now believed that he had been a priest in his former life (in 2000 this was found to be untrue), was able to perform an exorcism and Marlena was saved. However, the two could not resume their relationship at that time, and after John left the priesthood he fell into yet another affair with Kristen Blake, a former lover who was the adopted daughter of John's worst enemy, Stefano DiMera, the man who had brainwashed John to believe that he was Roman. Kristen eventually grew insecure about her relationship with John and cooked up one scheme after another to keep him away from Marlena. However, Kristen was exposed and John and Marlena were finally able to reunite.

And people wondered why I stopped watching it! LOL

Mel

I still miss Another World! I just loved Calliope and Eug', Cass and Felicia.

I'm surprised by this too. I wonder when Day's and GH will follow....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back