Able-bodied woman wants to become a paraplegic

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
I don't know what to say.... other than this woman is very sick.

Many people dread not being able to use their legs – but for one woman, it’s her dream come true.
Chloe Jennings-White suffers from a rare psychological condition known as Body Integrity Identity Disorder. An able-bodied 58-year-old woman, Jennings-White fantasizes about being a paraplegic and wants to undergo spinal surgery to make her legs stop working, The Sun reported.
An overseas doctor agreed to perform the surgery, in which he would cut her sciatic and femoral nerves. But the operation would cost her nearly $25,000.
“I’ll never be able to afford it, but I know I won’t regret it if I ever can, and I don’t know why it upsets people,” Jennings-White told The Sun.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...er-paraplegic/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2ZPidnvsC

I just don't understand. This must be a HUGE slap in the face to those who have suffered such tragic accidents and are paralyzed - or if they were born paralyzed.

Seriously, as I suffer from diabetes and have horrid neuropathy in my feet that makes it difficult to walk (add to that a broken ankle with 2 plates and 10 screws). I can't imagine anyone wanting to be paralyzed.

I can only say that I hope she gets the mental help she needs.

MOO

Mel

Years ago I worked with a man that wanted his left leg amputated. At first I thought he was joking..but no. He went to doctor after doctor all refuses him. He refused therapy.
Years later I read in the paper he removed it himself.

I wonder how he's doing now?

how is this different from sex changes? There is something in their brains telling them they aren't right they way they are and need to surgically redefine themselves right?

how is this different from sex changes? There is something in their brains telling them they aren't right they way they are and need to surgically redefine themselves right?

Because a man doesn't walk on his testicles. Legs are a whole 'nother ballpark IMO.

As a person with mobility issues, I think this is just insane. Life is so hard when your legs don't work as they should - and mine aren't paralysed. I can't believe someone would wish to be -less- able to get around. :(

Because a man doesn't walk on his testicles. Legs are a whole 'nother ballpark IMO.

As a person with mobility issues, I think this is just insane. Life is so hard when your legs don't work as they should - and mine aren't paralysed. I can't believe someone would wish to be -less- able to get around. :(

I can't believe someone would want to remove what they were born with either, but I'm still not seeing a difference between this and gender re-assignment.

Years ago I worked with a man that wanted his left leg amputated. At first I thought he was joking..but no. He went to doctor after doctor all refuses him. He refused therapy.
Years later I read in the paper he removed it himself.

I wonder how he's doing now?

Yes, he submerged it in a bucket of liquid nitogen and froze it and it had to be removed. It's just insane IMO.

I can't believe someone would want to remove what they were born with either, but I'm still not seeing a difference between this and gender re-assignment.

If you mean from a moral standpoint, well - morality is everyone's own business and there's really no point arguing that.

But if you're still wondering why other people are more outraged about a limb removal than genitals - it's likely because gender re-assignment does not disable the person involved. In fact, in some ways it could make them -more- functional.

Limb removal is not even on the same planet, IMO. Because, you know. Legs = losing the ability to walk. Testicles = can still get about unimpeded. It's not hard.

This woman needs to talk to Larry Flynn (sp?) And people like my husband who have suffered spinal nerve damage. There can be excruciating shooting pains that a person can suffer in attacks even though feeling is lost. Any doctor who'd do it is no doctor, imo.

Someone needs to put both her legs in casts and strap her to a wheelchair for about 6 weeks. See how she feels after that.

Wasn't this same woman in the news awhile back? It seems familiar and surely not another different story.

I just don't understand. This must be a HUGE slap in the face to those who have suffered such tragic accidents and are paralyzed - or if they were born paralyzed.

Seriously, as I suffer from diabetes and have horrid neuropathy in my feet that makes it difficult to walk (add to that a broken ankle with 2 plates and 10 screws). I can't imagine anyone wanting to be paralyzed.

I can only say that I hope she gets the mental help she needs.

MOO

Mel

AGREED!!! And I am very sorry to hear what you go through. It is, like you said, a real slap in the face. She doesn't need surgery, she requires psychiatric help immediately. JMO

A while ago I fell down the rabbit hole of Youtube and ended up watching an interview with a man who'd managed to cut both legs off with a band saw.

IIRC, he cut the first one off and a few years later did the second one. It was NOT a pleasant thing to watch. The man was clearly, clearly, severely mentally ill.

But what really got me was that he'd approached surgeons, who obv. refused him - and that, after lopping one leg off, he was still free and still inclined to lop off his other leg. I wondered -- why he didn't get the help he obviously needed? Did nobody care enough to force him into treatment? And he was SO happy in his wheelchair, with his stumps...

It's just horribly sad, like seeing how happy anorexic women are when they've whittled themselves down to skeletons.

Whatever problems I have today, I feel blessed to not have such a terrible illness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back