About the ransom note...

Discussion in 'JonBenet Ramsey' started by blackcatsarecool, May 24, 2019.

1. blackcatsarecool

blackcatsarecool Member

If JBR was murdered by an intruder, why was the ransom note in pristine condition without any creases or folds? If the note was written before the murder, it seems unlikely the murderer would leave it out in plain sight, on a desk or bench while he snatched JBR from her bed, carried her down several flights of stairs, carried out the crime then come back upstairs to lay out the note before leaving the house. If he wrote the note before the murder, would he have carried the note while he carried JBR downstairs? In that case the note would have been crumpled. So that either means (A) the ransom note was written before the murder and left out in plain sight while he crept through the house, snatched her from her bed, carried her down to the basement risking being caught red handed or someone waking up during the night and finding the note Or (B) the ransom note was written after the murder, leaving himself vulnerable to being caught writing a lengthy letter after having murdered a 6 year old child. I doubt a murderer would hang around the crime scene leaving himself vulnerable to being caught after murdering JBR by coming back up stairs to write the ransom note. He would have wanted to get out as quickly as possible. The more i think about it, there would be no benefit to the murderer to potentially expose himself by wasting time writing a 3 page note and walking to the middle of the house out in plain view to leave the note on the stairs. It doesn't make sense.

2. DeeDee249

DeeDee249 Well-Known Member

So little of this case DOES make sense, including how the investigation was conducted. But it smacks of a cover up. No real kidnapper would have done that note- as you say, wasting time but also chancing leaving evidence on it. No kidnapper expects ransom when the victim is left behind IN the family home. Even dead, the victim's body is important to the loved ones. Had she died under the kidnapper's control, remove the body and ask for ransom anyway. No parent in this situation is going to as for proof of life. They want her back either way.

3. wonderllama

wonderllama Registered Snoozer

I can't even carry a bit of paper from the printer on the desk on the other side of the room to my own desk without it being crumpled!

I think it's well established that the paper and pen originated from within the house. Like pretty much everything else in this case!!!

Veronica Lodge and Tadpole12 like this.
  4. Veronica Lodge

Veronica Lodge Active Member

Ooh I like you wonderllama. :)

yup, that about sums it up :(

Tadpole12 and wonderllama like this.
  5. neednewhobbie

neednewhobbie Member

hi all - I have another thought on the ransom note; I am a newbie, but have read and read and read so hopefully I can contribute to this forum positively. Others have wondered about the seemingly excessive spacing between words on the ransom note, and compared it to double computer spacing. My thought is a little different; a person that is usually right handed (PR), using her left hand to would not be used to writing w left hand whereby the word you have written is covered by your left hand, making the spacing between words hard to judge and thus potentially larger.
    I tried it - My unnatural left hand writing has large spaces between words.
    What do you think?

Tadpole12 likes this.
  6. UKGuy

UKGuy Well-Known Member

neednewhobbie,
    Yes that sounds quite likely. Patsy with her cum laude english degree is the number one suspect for writing the ransom note, as it is filled with literary devices unknown to the average american, particularly some brain-dead psychopath prowling the streets of Boulder late at night!

Also for those in the loop the tropes and finesse applied to the RN, e.g. the use of film genre quotes, etc tell us how premeditated the RN was as the elements are mainly fictional in character, i.e. they do not point back to Patsy, evidently this was not accomplished by accident.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  7. neednewhobbie

neednewhobbie Member

Thanks UKGuy! It is abit exciting getting my first post reply!!

Tadpole12 and DeeDee249 like this.
  8. DeeDee249

DeeDee249 Well-Known Member

Welcome. It was often said that the note looked like Patsy had tried to disguise her handwriting. After the crime, one of the teachers at the children's school made a comment that after JB's death, any notes written by Patsy did not look the same as the previous notes sent when JB was alive. We'll never know for sure, of course, but it is a very possible theory.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  9. chaussome

chaussome New Member

Interesting thought. It is important to point out that if one takes the risk of murdering someone inside his/her own home, I'm sure it is a walk in the park for that person to stealthily write a note in the home. In other words, if the killer was willing to murder poor JBR while other family members were asleep (presumably), he/she would have no qualms about sitting down to write a ransom note, and leave it in a convenient spot. I highly doubt that this was even a problem for the killer, as he/she was most likely a member of the family. If the family theory is the truth, the killer was probably comfortable hanging around at the crime scene, because the crime scene was unfortunately also the killer's home .

Tadpole12 likes this.
  10. Aquaman

Aquaman New Member

I do think Patsy wrote the note with John dictating some parts to her, I just can't figure out why they would. I don't think they had anything to do with the death or even that they knew she was dead.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  11. UKGuy

UKGuy Well-Known Member

Aquaman,
    They had to know she was dead, or thought she was as she likely fell into a coma so appeared dead?

The RN has stuff in it that looks like it is the result of John and Patsy brainstorming who to point to, possible motives, etc.

All intended as staging of course which is why the RN, by extension, is part of the wine-cellar crime-scene.

It was intended to point away from the bedrooms upstairs and down to the basement which JonBenet disliked as it was windy, cold and dirty.

One thing is for sure, that is Burke Ramsey never wrote the RN, so that leaves both parents as prime suspects and Patsy in particular, which is probably why so many think the case is PDI?

Tadpole12 likes this.
  12. Tadpole12

Tadpole12 Well-Known Member

Heyya neednewhobbie.
    Welcome newbie!
    Newbie to the WS's site, and /or newbie to the JBR case?

" Others have wondered about the seemingly excessive spacing between words on the ransom note, and compared it to double computer spacing." - nnh

Oh, that's so interesting. Will have to find source, ty.
    iirc voynich or hotyh, had measured spacing.

nnh,
    When I write with my left hand, the spacing between words or within a word (ie prefix/ suffix) is comparable to my natural right hand.
    I can easily recognize it as my handwriting.
    The vertical slant differs by a few degrees.

When writing with my left, the issue is the baseline.
    'W's have the odd first hump, that is raised from the baseline.
    I raise my wrist when I write using my left; but if I draw the "rounded" 'W' as a shape, then both humps hit the baseline.
    The tails of g's are erratic, and less rounded in my left.

But left or right handed I cross the 't's from left to right.

Right hand wRiting vs. left hand wRiting of one
    peRson. a compaRative study
    http://www.forensicscience.pl/pfs/94_Dziedzic.pdf