Afghanistan - American University under attack in Kabul, 24 August 2016

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by KayElJay, Aug 24, 2016.

1. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/08/24/gunfire-reportedly-heard-at-american-university-afghanistan.html

2. Loading...

3. KayElJay

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37178241

4. Momoffourboys

Momoffourboys Active Member

So sad and scary.

5. Momoffourboys

Momoffourboys Active Member

6. LietKynes

LietKynes Active Member

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-37...ican-University-Afghanistan-campus-Kabul.html
    'Complex' raid launched on campus of American University in the capital of Afghanistan, Kabul

Assuming here 'Complex' means a 'well-coordinated and planned in advance' attack ?

www.nbcnews.com/news/world/police-r...-blast-american-university-afghanistan-n63711

A car bomb was detonated at the main gate of the university as the gunmen forced their way inside, said Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.

www.nbcnews.com/news/world/american-university-afghanistan-professors-are-kidnapped-kabul-n625146
    The pair were snatched as they sat in their car Sunday night following classes at the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul. They have not been named publicly on the request of authorities.

The first time I'd heard about this... and they were taken from the same university. :(

7. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

8. Inthedetails

Inthedetails New Member

I knew in the back of my mind there was an American University there....but it still startled me when I heard the news while working in my kitchen today. I thought, "American University in Kabul??"

9. Inthedetails

Inthedetails New Member

Info about the school:

"The American University of Afghanistan is Afghanistan’s only private, not-for-profit, non-partisan and co-educational university. It opened its doors in 2006 with an initial enrollment of 50 students, and today enrolls more than 1,700 full and part-time students. It has produced 29 Fulbright Scholars and maintains partnerships with the world’s most prestigious universities, including Stanford University, Georgetown University, and the University of California network."

https://www.auaf.edu.af/about/

10. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

Is this affiliated at all with American University in D.C.?

11. Inthedetails

Inthedetails New Member

I don't know....I'm watching the video on the site (link above) and it sounds like the students are Afghan, but it's called American because it's based on the American-style of university.

It is co-ed, and I wonder if that made it a target. :(

jmo

12. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

13. Inthedetails

Inthedetails New Member

"CBS News’ Ahmad Mukhtar reports from Afghanistan that several American professors are inside, along with possibly hundreds of students. Many appear to have escaped through emergency doors. The operation to clear the university is ongoing, and students reportedly remain trapped inside.

Head of Kabul hospitals, Salim Rasouli, said they know that at least one guard was killed and 21 students, including four girls, were wounded and brought to hospitals, Mukhtar reports. This might change as the operation unfolds."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-university-of-afghanistan-in-kabul-attack/

14. KayElJay

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/asia/kabul-afghanistan-american-university-blast-gunshots-heard/