After 39,000 years, mammoth still woolly

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 9, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

2. Loading...

3. FigTree

FigTree New Member

Ah! So cute! So small! I want one!

4. Show Me

Show Me New Member

The eventual plan is to plant an implanted egg into a live elephant for a 22-month pregnancy.

Earlier this year a group of scientists from around the world met for TEDx conference in Washington, sponsored by National Geographic.

The group were discussing the possibility of bringing 24 animals back from extinction, also known as 'de-extinction'.

De-extinction....hmmm. Not to sure what to think. Be neat to see a woolly mammoth and yet...is it possible we'd unleash Pandora's box messing with natural selection? Hoping we don't find an ancient virus transferable from mammoth to man.

5. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

A few years from now a company will be marketing a 'Grow Your Own Woolly Mammoth at Home' kit. It will be a great Christmas/Hanukkah gift for a gradeschooler. :)

6. Show Me

Show Me New Member

Ooooo Chia Mammoth! I want one!

7. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

She doesn't look a day over 35,000! :)

8. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

The pics of her show her as being relatively small, like a baby one. But she is supposed to be 50-60 years old. I thought Mammoth's were huge?

9. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

It's a bonsai mammoth

10. justbeachy

justbeachy "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond

Doncha know you're not supposed to wash wool? It shrinks.

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Poor little thing got herself into a predicament and now 39,000 years later, here we are.

12. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

And people ask me why I wear make up every time I leave my house, even to get the mail. I don't need anyone digging me up 39,000 years from now looking at me at some exhibit... And I have no make-up on!

13. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

DH: if that mammoth is still woolly after 39,000 years, how come I'm going bald at 39?

14. Nova

Nova New Member

I thought about your post overnight. I too am leery that science will overreach its ability to control unintended consequences. (We have plenty of examples from history.)

But natural selection isn't a force per se, it's just Darwin's way of describing the cause-and-effect relationship of environment and heredity.

In theory, a cloned mammoth would be more at risk than humans would be. In theory, we may well still have whatever genetic immunities our ancestors developed when they were hunting and eating such creatures. (Or at least a percentage of us would have.)

The mammoth, on the other hand, would have no acquired immunity to any virus that has emerged since the mammoth died. (The exception to this is whatever immunity the fetus might acquire from the elephant in which it is implanted. IIRC, there is considerable evidence that mammals acquire some immunities while in utero and by nursing after birth.)

I'm not a scientist, but I suspect it's more likely they'll have trouble keeping the clone alive than that the clone will trigger a pandemic. OTOH, I just rewatched Jurassic Park on cable the other night...