aggravated waiting for the Aggravation phase #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the judge does not allow objections during these statements. I do believe the judge can see in advance what statements will be made--which I do not really have a problem with--but beyond that, the DT should be admonished in advance to zip it while the person is speaking in court. IMO.

I agree. If they have written down their impact statements to read from or reference, let the judge view them before hand. She is the one who would be sustaining/over-ruling anyway. Why should Jodi be able to prepare for what is coming her way?

It appeared to me as though for a second or two, Willmott thought the verdict was not unanimous...5 voted for premeditated murder, 0 voted for felony murder...

But when she heard that 7 voted for both, poor JW did the math.

LOL this is how I viewed it. First comes the 5-0, followed by her head tilt, and finally the knock out blow.

I liked that.

"5 voted for premeditation. 0 voted for felony murder..."

Willmott: huh, that's only...

"7 voted for BOTH premeditated and felony murder..."

Willmott: oh...

Yes, I think it was just the vote breakdown that may have confused her. IMO there was absolutely no way either defense atty expected any verdict other than guilty, first degree.

Please Lord...let the family be able to do the victim impact statements in person.

I'd LOVE for Samantha, who always looked to be suffering so much and always had to hold back her tears, be able to do what this woman did at Jeffrey Dahmers case:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A1518C332DE2F923F846A1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE8

What a strong woman AND a strong victim impact statement for a heart broken family.

Yes, I think it was just the vote breakdown that may have confused her. IMO there was absolutely no way either defense atty expected any verdict other than guilty, first degree.
I took it was JW being more surprised that none of the jury agreed with felony murder only as a charge.

And ditto her redirects. She had an inability to pick up any pieces of the puzzles JM had smashed into smithereens.

Hilarious, her trying to morph into Juanderful.:floorlaugh: right? right?

And ditto her redirects. She had an inability to pick up any pieces of the puzzles JM had smashed into smithereens.

Yep...she usually was shaking like a chihuahua when she got back up for redirect.

I don't think she was surprised at all. I think the DT thought they might have had a juror on their side who was leaning toward manslaughter based on the jury questions, though it was a long shot. Then, ouch, they ALL voted for premeditation.

The verdict was probably not in any way unexpected or all that shocking. She's not stupid. She knew what she had to work with which was pretty much nothing. And Jodi did NOT make it any easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuri
I don't understand why the Victim Impact Statements should be limited. The statements by CFJA during trial certainly were not. How could this possibly be fair?

It's a "fair trial" if no rights of the defendant are stepped on. In court, the prosecution has the burden and few rights, and the defendant has all the rights, with little to no burden. Basically, for legal purposes, "fair" has nothing to do with actual fairness, because actual fairness requires a level playing field.

Is she still a "Defendant"???

And that horrid scowl from Wilmott as if she was offended that the family should have a moment of release from this mess created by the DT.

Thanks for mentioning this. It was overshadowed by the verdict & interview.

But it was one of the nastiest looks I've ever seen. Lasted only around 3-4 seconds but 3 days later, it's still so vivid in my mind.

Horrid scowl indeed.

Quote:
I don't understand why the Victim Impact Statements should be limited. The statements by CFJA during trial certainly were not. How could this possibly be fair?

i don't know for sure but i'd say no. she has been convicted. thats how i see it but i am no eggspert :scared:

It's a "fair trial" if no rights of the defendant are stepped on. In court, the prosecution has the burden and few rights, and the defendant has all the rights, with little to no burden. Basically, for legal purposes, "fair" has nothing to do with actual fairness, because actual fairness requires a level playing field.

One of the problems I have with the above, and I agree with your analysis by the way, lies in DP cases. There are also 12 people, who by the nature of the case, will be required to determine life and death based solely on what is presented in court during testimony. I can think of nothing that can make the burden of that decision less heavy upon them than the truth. This case, and a few others in particular, have demonstrated to me that the words prejudicial and probative need to be refined to the degree of insuring that a jury in a DP case decision is never tortured by their ultimate decision whether it includes death or not.

Quote:

After they subjected us to 18 days of her disgusting sex life there should be NO limit to victim statements. Are they kidding? I just hope the Judge takes her pencils and paper away and instructs her to sit up and look at the person speaking... but that won't happen!

that's the only reason she did it. if he'd asked her anything really hard, she would have ended the interview. he did it on her terms.
that's one of the problems i have with it. she didn't say anything new that i know of, but all i know about it i read here.
i went back to school at 33 and got a degree in journalism. studied ethics, etc. i have very conflicted feelings about giving somebody like her a platform. i guess my bigger problem is that this happened while the trial was still in progress, and because of what she said about wanting to be 'free' (dead), she's now on suicide watch, and this could be why the trial stopped thursday so she could undergo a psych evaluation. i don't know that for sure---about the evaluation---but a lot of people besides me think that may be what's going on.
so his big scoop may have impacted this trial. i just wish he would have waited until the penalty phase was over. but that's obviously not what SHE wanted so he went ahead with it.

Not sure what happened in court on Thursday, but the only reason it is not starting until next Wednesday is because Dr. Horn was not available to testify on Monday/Tuesday (from what I read on here). In my opinion the only reason they are keeping her on suicide watch is to make her STFU.

I think we are giving her waaaaaayyy too much power and ability to control things. She does NOT have any control (at least over me :)

I am finally at peace and feel really good nomatter what the sentence. She got M1 and I am ecstatic. I am in the process of letting it all go and will no longer let her have any power over my life.

I have not been reading or posting much since the verdict ... just check in now and again ... well ... just cuz I love you all :heartbeat:. I really do! You're just the best and such a supportive (positive) group of people.

Just want to add that I have read so many sad stories on this site and there are just too many to recite. I hold you all in my prayers and thoughts. I have my own sad stories ... but they just don't compare. All of you sharing your stories have helped me put things in perspective and have caused me to think of others more. Travis has also done that.

Hugs to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member