FL - Ajike "AJ" Owens, 35, fatally shot by neighbor, Marion County, June 2023 *arrest*

Cryptic

Reaction score
Another very avoidable shooting with an apparent self defense claim.

The two neighbors evidently had a long running feud featuring a mother with either poorly supervised children or a hyper vigilant neighbor looking for pretenses to call police (evidently called police to report the children trespassing on property belonging to third parties- strange). Or... perhaps the truth is somewhere in the murky middle?

What is known is the final confrontation involved mutual hostilities, threats and counter threats, and ended with an unarmed AJ being shot and killed through the door.

<modsnip: bringing race into the discussion> Police say the shooter is "cooperating".

Last edited by a moderator:
So the kids were annoying her, over time, unclear, but it appears this was an apartment building, where kids were playing in the back.
Apparently the shooter got a hold of one of their iPads and threw it at a boy and the screen broke.
Mother came with boy to confront her and got shot through a door.

I'm getting the hate crime vibe...... sigh.

Snip
......2 1/2-year feud over playing children.

Since January 2021, Woods said, deputies have responded at least a half-dozen times in connection with the feuding between Owens and the woman who eventually shot her.

Before the shooting, Owens’ children had been playing in a field near the shooter’s apartment, officials said. At some point, the woman yelled at the children and threw a pair of skates, which hit one of the children, Woods said. When Owens later confronted the woman at her apartment, an argument ensued, and the woman shot Owens through the front door, investigators said.

Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who is representing Owens’ family, said in a statement that the shooter had been yelling racial slurs at the children before the confrontation with their mother.

They need to name the shooter and give a location. I winter in Ocala with my show horses and I've been lucky enough not to witness any overt racism in my years there, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's the Deep South and there is a stark economic divide between the haves and have nots in Marion County because of hundreds of years of systemic racism.

Marion County PD needs to arrest the woman for assault against a child for hitting a child with a roller skate. I sincerely hope charges are filed for murder as well, but Florida's stand your ground laws are ridiculous and often serve to justify murder.

Hoping to get a bit more info. There's usually more to the story, and we haven't gotten many details yet.
What about the deceased woman's children? How many children are there? Hoping there are close and loving relatives who can take care of them. SMH.

Hoping to get a bit more info. There's usually more to the story, and we haven't gotten many details yet.
What about the deceased woman's children? How many children are there? Hoping there are close and loving relatives who can take care of them. SMH.
Her Facebook page has lots of photos of her 4 beautiful young children. I didn't post the link keep her children's faces from being heavily publicized. Her sister has a site set up for fund raising and she explains some details about the incident.

Susan Lorincz is charged with manslaughter with a firearm and culpable negligence. Sheriff Woods said the culpable negligence stems from the fact that children were present during the commission of a crime. Additionally, Lorincz is charged with assault and battery on Owens' children related to the alleged altercation that happened before the shooting.

Last edited:
Susan Lorincz is charged with manslaughter with a firearm and culpable negligence. Sheriff Woods said the culpable negligence stems from the fact that children were present during the commission of a crime. Additionally, Lorincz is charged with assault and battery on Owens' children related to the alleged altercation that happened before the shooting.

And BOOM there it is.... unjustified hate crime. JMO

Snip
"And we got a bigger picture, the full picture. And my detectives wanted to make sure that we closed all the loopholes, so she would not have the defense of using the 'Stand Your Ground' law, and this is not stand your ground," the sheriff said in an exclusive interview with FOX 35 News. "Let me make that clear – this was not stand your ground. It was an unjustified shooting."

Nearly 100 protestors took to the streets Tuesday afternoon to demand justice for an Ocala mother of four who was shot and killed by her neighbor last week over a dispute about where the children were playing.

About half of the group then made way their way into State Attorney Bill Gladson's office building in downtown Ocala while shouting "no justice, no peace" for his failure to charge the suspected shooter. Though the majority of the protest was peaceful, two participants − a man and woman − were arrested by law enforcement for disorderly conduct after repeatedly being warned about blocking traffic along U.S. 441.

The address in the article is the 1609 block of 108th Ln in Quail Run. That entire road is duplexes and triplexes.
IMG_4350.jpeg

Susan Louise Lorincz, 58, was arrested on charges of manslaughter with a firearm, culpable negligence, battery and two counts of assault, the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

During the argument Lorincz threw a roller skate at Owens’ 10-year-old son and later swung an umbrella at him and a sibling, according to the sheriff’s office. Owens then knocked on Lorincz's door multiple times, and Lorincz shot her through the door, the sheriff’s office said.

Authorities say Owens was shot through the door of her neighbor’s home near Ocala, Florida, on Friday. Owens’ family and attorneys had demanded that her killer be arrested and charged. Her family has also accused Lorincz of yelling at Owens’ children and calling them racial slurs prior to the shooting.

AJ Owens, who was a mother of four children, is seen here in an undated picture.

A woman has been taken into custody 4 days after Ajike 'AJ' Owens was fatally shot after knocking on neighbor's door. Here's what we know

When interviewed, Lorincz claimed that she acted in self defense and that Owens had been trying to break down her door prior to her discharging her firearm, according to a news release the sheriff’s office. Lorincz also said Owens had come after her in the past and had previously attacked her, the release said.

“Through their investigation – including obtaining the statements of eyewitnesses who only came forward as late as yesterday – detectives were able to establish that Lorincz’s actions were not justifiable under Florida law,” the sheriff’s office said.

If you don't like dealing with children playing outside in your neighborhood, there are plenty of over 55 communities in FL.

I hope the shooter will also be charged with a hate crime, if indeed she has been using racist slurs towards the children.

MOO

Susan Louise Lorincz, 58, was arrested on charges of manslaughter with a firearm, culpable negligence, battery and two counts of assault, the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

During the argument Lorincz threw a roller skate at Owens’ 10-year-old son and later swung an umbrella at him and a sibling, according to the sheriff’s office. Owens then knocked on Lorincz's door multiple times, and Lorincz shot her through the door, the sheriff’s office said.
Given the totality, I am really disappointed with the Manslaughter charges and was hoping for murder charges.

Not only would murder charges be appropriate in this individual case where the shooter clearly provoked the victim by assaulting her children, but murder charges would also be a more headlines grabbing deterrent to others.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of the Manslaughter with a Firearm enhancement. I’m sure the defense will say how her just blindly shooting thru the door was fear but I think it shows how reckless she was with kids running around.

I seen this and came looking on here this is definitely a hate crime 2 me also a long time of fighting back and forth I was watching the video and it said stand your ground doesn’t apply just saying

WESH interviewed one of the neighbors, who gives a little background info regarding the shooter Susan Lorincz. The neighbor says that the shooter would call the cops just because the children were playing. And what adult calls children racial slurs??

I couldn't find any police reports beyond 2023 for their addresses. I wonder if any of the shooter's calls to police were even legitimate.

I seen this and came looking on here this is definitely a hate crime 2 me
The sheriff stated that the use of racial slurs by the shooter had not been confirmed. Likewise, there do not appear to be any racist oriented social media references made by the shooter.

Unless concrete evidence is produced, I am thinking that this is going to devolve into a murky status where race could have been an aggravating factor, it did not serve as the motivating cause.

As a side note, my city had a series of murders where the perpetrators seemed very selective in looking for robbery / home invasion victims of a particular race. Another perpetrator of a murdered tow truck drive seemed to go from "angry" to "killing rage" only after learning the race of the driver.

Yet, hate crime charges could not be pursued despite the apparent linkages because one almost needs to show the perpetrator's state of mind. This can be very difficult to do- unless they were say, active in the social media sense or other witnesses can be confirmed.

The sheriff stated that the use of racial slurs by the shooter had not been confirmed. Likewise, there do not appear to be any racist oriented social media references made by the shooter.

Unless concrete evidence is produced, I am thinking that this is going to devolve into a murky status where race could have been an aggravating factor, it did not serve as the motivating cause.

As a side note, my city had a series of murders where the perpetrators seemed very selective in looking for robbery / home invasion victims of a particular race. Another perpetrator of a murdered tow truck drive seemed to go from "angry" to "killing rage" only after learning the race of the driver.

Yet, hate crime charges could not be pursued despite the apparent linkages because one almost needs to show the perpetrator's state of mind. This can be very difficult to do- unless they were say, active in the social media sense or other witnesses can be confirmed.
I found the shooter's FB to be set to very private, only showed pics of horses, so who knows what's lurking beyond public view? Or maybe she's just not active on SM in general, or chooses to participate in a more obscure platform. But that's pure speculation on my part.

ETA: I found her FB earlier today and didn't post it then. When I just tried to link in this post, it seems to have disappeared. At least I can't find it now and it came up easily before.

Also, lots of outcry on FB and some interesting comments from locals if you read some comments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back