AK - 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocks Anchorage; tsunami warnings issued for the area, 30 Nov 2018

According to USGS, there's a high risk of a lot of aftershocks from this quake. That includes a small risk of an aftershock that's even larger than this one.

The USGS estimates the chance of more aftershocks as follows: Within the next 1 Week until 2018-12-07 18:20:26 (UTC):

• The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 3 or higher is > 99 %, and it is most likely that as few as 20 or as many as 2,200 such earthquakes may occur in the case that the sequence is re-invigorated by a larger aftershock.
  • The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 5 or higher is 78 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 23 such earthquakes may occur.
  • The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 6 or higher is 27 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 3 such earthquakes may occur.
  • The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7 or higher is 4 %, such an earthquake is possible but with a low probability.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000hyfh/oaf/commentary

My sister's building was evacuated though I'm not sure what the reason is.

When I got the alert on my phone (I have an app for that) I did a double take. I have one sister in Anchorage, one in Los Angeles and one in San Diego. I was not expecting to be concerned about the Alaska sister from a large earthquake.

Ms.F, so it sounds like your sister got out safely? She must be so shaken up. I hope she and everyone are okay!!!

According to USGS, there's a high risk of a lot of aftershocks from this quake. That includes a small risk of an aftershock that's even larger than this one.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000hyfh/oaf/commentary

I was just listening to a lady on CNN saying she hadn’t felt anything so violent in her 37 years there (or similar) and as she was taking an aftershock hit.

ETA:

“It was followed by a series of aftershocks, including one particularly powerful one.

"People went back inside after the first earthquake struck, but the 5.8 aftershock about five minutes later sent them running back into the streets," The Associated Press reports.“

Magnitude 7.0 Earthquake Shakes Alaska, Damaging Roads, Buildings

"There is major infrastructure damage across Anchorage. Many homes and buildings are damaged," the department said in a bulletin. "Many roads and bridges are closed. Stay off the roads if you don’t need to drive. Seek a safe shelter. Check on your surroundings and loved ones."“

Snipped and bolded by me.

How do you know if a shelter is safe??

jmo

BREAKING: 'Monster' earthquake shakes Anchorage, Alaska; Tsunami warning no longer in effect - AccuWeather.com

“The United States Geological Survey also released an aftershock forecast, warning Anchorage residents to be prepared for aftershocks and ensuing damage. "According to our forecast, over the next 1 Week there is a 4 % chance of one or more aftershocks that are larger than magnitude 7.0. It is likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next 1 Week, with 20 to 2,200 magnitude 3 or higher aftershocks. Magnitude 3 and above are large enough to be felt near the epicenter. The number of aftershocks will drop off over time, but a large aftershock can increase the numbers again, temporarily."“

—-

“Some roads, bridges and buildings have been damaged, and schools and some businesses are shuttered for the day. Gov. Bill Walker has issued a declaration of disaster.“

Magnitude 7.0 Earthquake Shakes Alaska, Damaging Roads, Buildings

—-

Giant 7.0 earthquake rocks Anchorage, Alaska; damage reported even at Sarah Palin's house

“"This is a large earthquake and there have been numerous aftershocks," said John Bellini, a geophysicist for the U.S. Geological Survey. He said the largest aftershock was a 5.7 magnitude quake about six minutes after the big one.“

Snip

“Gov. Bill Walker said he had issued a disaster declaration. Besides widespread damage, the earthquake disrupted some communications and electrical service, the state’s Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management said.”

Also per the above link, rockslides were triggered.

——

“Back-to-back earthquakes measuring 7.0 and 5.8 rocked buildings and shattered roads Friday morning in Anchorage, sending people running into the streets and briefly triggering a warning to residents in Kodiak to flee to higher ground for fear of a tsunami.“

Widespread damage reported after 7.0 earthquake strikes Anchorage, Alaska

——

Large earthquake, aftershocks, strike Southcentral Alaska, damage reported around region

“The epicenter was just north of Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, according to the Alaska Earthquake Center. It violently shook the most populous region of the state as people were settling in to work and school.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

There were several aftershocks, including a sharp jolt felt widely in Anchorage around 10:26 a.m. and another series of aftershocks just before 11 a.m.“

Alaska Earthquake Center:
Elmendorf AFB M7.0 | Alaska Earthquake Center

Last edited:
Imagining being in the bathtub and water waves tossing you right out!
Powerful quakes buckle Alaska roads, trigger tsunami warning
image.jpg

"In Kenai, southwest of Anchorage, Brandon Slaton was alone at home and soaking in the bathtub when the earthquake struck. Slaton, who weighs 209 pounds, said it created a powerful back-and-forth sloshing in the bath, and before he knew it, he was thrown out of the tub by the waves.

His 120-pound mastiff panicked and tried to run down the stairs, but the house was swaying so much that the dog was thrown off its feet and into a wall and tumbled to the base of the stairs, Slaton said.

Slaton ran into his son's room after the shaking stopped and found his fish tank shattered and the fish on the floor, gasping for breath. He grabbed it and put it in another bowl.

“It was anarchy,” he said. “There's no pictures left on the walls, there's no power, there's no fish tank left. Everything that's not tied down is broke.”

“Anchorage Fire Chief Jodie Hettrick said at a briefing that authorities were contacted about possible building collapses, but she did not provide more information. The Alaska Department of Transportation said that due to reports of damage in Anchorage as well as surrounding areas, crews were sent out to inspect roads and bridges, but a spokeswoman said this process would take time given the impact across the state.“

‘Major’ damage to Anchorage area after severe magnitude-7 earthquake in Alaska

—-

Largest Alaskan city rocked by big quake

“Around 300,000 people live in Anchorage with 100,000 in the surrounding area.“

Snip

“Officials are encouraging people to use social media and text messages to contact loved ones as phone lines may be overwhelmed.
"Stay off phone lines if you possibly can, we need phone lines open," said Anchorage Fire Department Chief Jodie Hettrick. "Keep an eye on each other, check on your neighbours - especially if they are elderly or disabled."“

——

“The operators of the 800-mile (1,290-kilometer) long trans-Alaska pipeline said they shut the system down as a precaution following the quakes.“

Tsunami warning canceled following 7.0 Alaska earthquake; damage being assessed

Last edited:
Highway collapse, widespread damage from Alaska quake shown in pictures shared on social media

“While the full scope of the damage in and around Anchorage may not be clear for many more hours, pictures of road collapses and crumbling buildings began to surface on social media just minutes after the ground stopped shaking.”

—-

FEMA (@fema) on Twitter

FEMA
FEMA
@fema
·
10m
If you're affected by #AlaskaEarthquake, follow directions from state and local officials to stay safe. Follow
@AlaskaDHSEM
&
@FEMARegion10
for more updates.
Quote Tweet
Alaska DOT&PF
@AlaskaDOTPF
Follow the hashtag #AlaskaEarthquake and visit (link: November 30 Earthquake Updates, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska) dot.alaska.gov/earthquake2018/ for all the updates

#Anchorage #Wasilla #Tsunami #Roads #Bridges #akearthquake

—-

November 30, 2018 Earthquake Assessment Updates
We will post information as it comes in. Check back frequently for updates.

Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska

“A large section of road near the Anchorage airport collapsed, marooning a car on a narrow island of pavement surrounded by deep chasms in the concrete.”

Snip

“Officials opened an Anchorage convention center as an emergency shelter. Gov. Bill Walker issued a disaster declaration.“

Powerful back-to-back earthquakes buckle Alaska roads, tsunami warning lifted

——

My sister says they appear to be evacuating the hospital due to the warning of a possible larger quake.

Where do you even evacuate a hospital to?

Looking for more information, so far this:

“10:45 a.m.

The Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage says it has canceled elective surgeries and that the hospital experienced multiple water leaks.

The hospital says in a statement that there was not a large influx of patients after the quake rocked Anchorage Tuesday morning.

There were no reports of serious injuries or deaths and there were no reports of injuries at the hospital.“

The Latest: Parts of Anchorage highway destroyed by quake

——

“Mat-Su Regional Medical Center Director of Marketing and Public Relations Alan Craft reported only minor damage following the earthquake that rocked Southcentral Alaska Friday morning.

“No injuries to staff, no injuries to patients,” Craft said. “All safe. All staff are coming in.”

Craft said the hospital is in prepared for the potential of an influx of patients should that occur.

“We are fully operational. Nothing has happened that is impeding our ability to care for patients,” Craft said.

Craft said the Mat-Su Urgent Care centers in Palmer and Settlers Bay are also open, fully operational and accepting patients.”

Breaking News Update: Glenn Highway closed

——

BREAKING: Emergency declared for Anchorage earthquake in wake of massive damage

“The Anchorage Police Department will be shifting to an emergency deployment plan, partnering with the National Guard and other agencies to conduct damage assessments.“

Snip

“The Alaska Regional Hospital js reporting damage, but the ER is still open. They have cancelled appointments after a water pipe break due to the quake.”

Power outage map:
Power Outage Map | Chugach Electric Association, Inc.

——

“Office Closure Notice
Due to the earthquake, state offices will be closed in Anchorage on 11/30/2018 for the remainder of the business day as damages are assessed.
Find updates at 1-877-326-5551 and sign up for office closure text alerts here.“

State of Alaska

——

“Anchorage Police Chief Justin Doll says he is unaware of reports of deaths or serious injuries following the earthquake that rocked the state's largest city.”

Snip

“It was felt 350 miles (560 kilometers) away in Fairbanks.“

Bloomberg -
URGENT: The Latest: 'A Gym Full of Screams' as Quake Rocks School

——

5c019e1b1f00003906263bc3.jpeg

The earthquakes destroyed an off-ramp at Minnesota Drive in Anchorage. (Dan Joling/AP)

5c018c2f1d00002c023137b5.jpeg

David Harper via REUTERS

DtRIsHbU8AAwAfr

Photos Show Anchorage, Alaska, After Back-To-Back Earthquakes | HuffPost
-more photos at link

——

“Anchorage Police Chief Justin Doll said he had been told that parts of the Glenn Highway, a scenic route that runs northeast out of the city past farms, mountains and glaciers, had "completely disappeared."

The quake broke store windows, opened cracks in a two-story building downtown, disrupted electrical service and disabled traffic lights, snarling traffic. It also threw a full-grown man out of his bathtub.“

Major damage after magnitude-7 earthquake in Alaska

—-

'Like a freight train': Massive earthquake rocks Anchorage, Alaska

“Dr. Owen Ala, 40, an orthopedic surgeon who was operating on a hand fracture at the time of the quake, said the quake sounded "almost like a freight train is coming through."

A lifelong Alaksan, Ala said that he's lived through a number of earthquakes before but this was the largest one yet.

"It definitely felt the strongest, not just by a little bit. It was by far the strongest that any of us had felt," he said.

"This one you could barely stand up," he said, noting how he and his team were "holding on to the patient to make sure they don't fall off the table."“

——-

Live updates: Earthquake rattles Anchorage, Alaska - CNN

“They also have forecast for estimate economic losses.

Right now they are estimating there is a 35% chance of 100 million to a billion in economic losses. There is a 25% chance that economic losses will be over a billion.”

Snip

“Earthquakes common in Alaska, says United States Geological Survey
Earthquakes are common in this region, says the United States Geological Survey. Over the past century, 14 other earthquakes of 6.0 magnitude and above have occurred within 150 km (93.2 miles) of the earthquake that hit this morning near Anchorage.

Two such earthquakes -- a 6.6 magnitude quake in July 1983 and a 6.4 magnitude quake in September 1983 -- seem similar to today's earthquake.

They were at similarly shallow depths, and caused damage in the region of Valdez, east of Anchorage.

The biggest earthquake that has hit Alaska was a 9.2 magnitude giant in March 1964, an interface thrust faulting earthquake that ruptured over several hundred kilometers between Anchorage and the Alaska-Aleutians trench, and to the southwest.“

0c490b1f-b2d6-4945-9014-9936b4e3c6ac.png

Last edited:
Ms.F, so it sounds like your sister got out safely? She must be so shaken up. I hope she and everyone are okay!!!

My sister is how shall I say it.... extremely high maintenance. I am sure she was freaking out completely. Her building was evacuated because there was water everywhere, it was determined not to be safe so they were sent home.

Her husband, son and grandson were all able to reach home. All are safe, have power and are warm. So, that's all they can ask for. I know both houses have damage but not sure how much as she really didn't say.

Just hope that everyone is somewhere warm tonight!

There was a 9.2 in Alaska in 1964. The Pacific Northwest is also at risk of a magnitude 9+

I hope there aren't any fatalities from this quake. Pager on USGS says fatalities should be low. There was an MMI of VIII for approx 4000 people though, which is very strong.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000hyfh/pager

Yes, that 1964 one was way before my time. There have been two 6's in or near my lifetime. This is the first big one in Alaska since my sister moved up there in like 1990 however.

I am entirely too familiar with the PNW's risk of the enormous one. I'm right here on the fault line. I try not to think about it too much. :(

It's just with 2 sisters in California and 1 in Alaska, when you get an earthquake alert the Alaska sister isn't your first thought, you know? It might not make sense, my brother didn't get it either. :rolleyes:

My sister is how shall I say it.... extremely high maintenance. I am sure she was freaking out completely. Her building was evacuated because there was water everywhere, it was determined not to be safe so they were sent home.

Her husband, son and grandson were all able to reach home. All are safe, have power and are warm. So, that's all they can ask for. I know both houses have damage but not sure how much as she really didn't say.

Just hope that everyone is somewhere warm tonight!

Yes, that 1964 one was way before my time. There have been two 6's in or near my lifetime. This is the first big one in Alaska since my sister moved up there in like 1990 however.

I am entirely too familiar with the PNW's risk of the enormous one. I'm right here on the fault line. I try not to think about it too much. :(

It's just with 2 sisters in California and 1 in Alaska, when you get an earthquake alert the Alaska sister isn't your first thought, you know? It might not make sense, my brother didn't get it either. :rolleyes:

I'm glad your sister and her family are safe and warm, and that you've been able to have contact with them so that you know that.

From what I know, the PNW has been doing a lot of earthquake preparedness stuff over the past 15 yrs or so, and that's what you need. It might be a hundred or five hundred years away, but it's the preparation measures that make the difference where quakes do happen.

I'm glad your sister and her family are safe and warm, and that you've been able to have contact with them so that you know that.

From what I know, the PNW has been doing a lot of earthquake preparedness stuff over the past 15 yrs or so, and that's what you need. It might be a hundred or five hundred years away, but it's the preparation measures that make the difference where quakes do happen.

YES.
This quake would have likely had an enormously tragic outcome had it not been for the 64' quake.

Here’s who to thank that we all survived the quake on Friday

YES.
This quake would have likely had an enormously tragic outcome had it not been for the 64' quake.

Here’s who to thank that we all survived the quake on Friday

“The next time you hear about a developer who wants to build on view property along Cook Inlet — on Bootlegger Cove clay — think about that jolt you felt Friday morning. When a proposal comes forward to break the height limit or bend the geotechnical rules, remember who kept us safe Friday.

It was the engineers and scientists. They were the heroes who saved countless lives on Friday.“

——

Alaska earthquake aftermath: Officials urge residents to avoid roads

—-

Anchorage Police Department (@APDInfo) on Twitter

—-

Red Cross of Alaska (@redcrossak) on Twitter

—-

Alaska earthquake: When will the aftershocks stop?

“USGS starts with generic models to predict aftershocks, Aagaard said, then makes adjustments as they monitor aftershocks on the first day. Its scientists are updating forecasts on a daily basis and making weekly projections, the time range in which they have the most confidence.

"As we get farther into the sequence, then we can have a better fit to our models to be able to see when we expect to get to the background rate," Aagaard said. "That's what we compare against, which is how many earthquakes we have in an area when we haven't had a large earthquake and aftershock."”

—-

What to know about earthquake-damaged roads ahead of Monday’s commute

—-
Power is on, water is clean, landfill is open: Here’s a look at Anchorage’s earthquake recovery so far

——

Alaska residents try to return to normalcy after earthquake rocks region
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/02/us/alaska-earthquake-monday/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

Last edited:
My sister and brother in law as well as my nephew and great nephew escaped any structural damage. Just got their cupboards and walls cleaned out/off nicely.

They report being twitchy from the 1800 aftershocks. However they are so back to normal both leave on business trips tomorrow. So, there's that!

Looks like Alaska isn't wasting anytime getting back to normal!

On Friday this Alaska road collapsed in an earthquake. It's already been fixed - CNN

An off-ramp connecting International Airport Road and Minnesota Drive in Anchorage collapsed in the quake, creating a huge hole that made the unfortunate SUV that fell in look like a toy.

Before and after photos shared on Facebook on Tuesday showed how quickly the repairs were completed. The jagged chucks of broken road are gone, the hole is filled, the road has been repaved and fresh lines have been painted.

Earthquake rodeo: Neighbors track down galloping runaways in Eagle River Valley

---------------------------------------------

“They were a sweaty mess,” Drury said. “You have to blanket a horse at that point.”

Fortunately, Wainamo and Beck knew that, so Beck went inside to get something to keep the horses warm. Not being a horse owner himself, Beck didn’t have any horse blankets. But he did have a Lion King sleeping bag and a fleece blanket with a raven on it.

It took Drury about an hour to get her horse trailer over to Beck’s house. During that time, Wainamo and Beck patted the animals and kept them calm.

“I was just glad they weren’t jerks,” Wainamo recalled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back