GUILTY AK - Ashley Johnson-Barr, 10, Kotzebue, 6 Sep 2018 *Arrest*

Community members gather at Cuddy Family Midtown Park to pay tribute to 10-year-old Ashley Johnson-Barr, who has been missing in Kotzebue for a week now.

Channel 2 News, KTUU.com

"Parents and Guardians send your kids to school wearing purple in honor of Ashley Johnson-Barr. We need to make it known that we are not letting up until she is brought home. The more we do the more it pushes to get information. EVERYONE wear purple tomorrow, Friday, September 14th for Ashley Johnson-Barr"

I really wish we had more information. Would bugging national news to cover this story bring more eyes on this case and pressure to release more information? I mean, I don't want to pressure them to give us more info, ugh, I think I'm just frustrated.

Currently, there are 17 FBI special agents, 10 Alaska State Troopers and three dog teams working with the Kotzebue Police Department, under the leadership of AST. Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are also assisting efforts.

A bloodhound named Abby was brought in and could be seen searching around Kotzebue on Thursday, including the area close to Rainbow Park.

A search and rescue dog named Taku was working with her handlers in the afternoon outside of town on the tundra. She ran through thick brush on shorelines and swam through ponds, directed by her handlers on shore.

The teams on the ground were assisted by a crew flying in a helicopter owned and operated by the Northwest Arctic Borough that spent the day taking aerial photos for investigators. Two United States Coast Guard helicopters also performed two flights.

In the southern end of town, three divers searched underwater near the Ralph Wien Memorial Airport.

An Anchorage-based forensics team is currently examining Barr-Johnson's cell phone that was recovered last Thursday evening.

Meanwhile, local volunteers were partnered with FBI special agents Thursday morning to knock on doors around town and follow up on leads.

No plan to scale down search as efforts move toward investigation

I think it could be because it is such a remote, contained location with very little to go on.

For me, living over the other side of the world, a small isolated place in Alaska is also almost as far from my ken as you can get. I can't even tell if people have off-island access using those little motorized one-person things ... But people up there are going to have such different ways of seeing the world around them...they catch caribou, I go to a supermarket, they ride those things, I travel by bus (or car if I can get a lift). If it snows a foot here my village is cut off and I stay indoors...they aren't restricted by snow and ice. I feel like those differences in thinking, seeing the world, interacting with the environment could be the keys. One thing I wanted to ask was that, when hiding a body in 'our world' we often find bodies within a few hundred feet of roads...but would a person in Kotzebue have that kind of restriction to their thinking/actions?

I care, but I just don't feel I have anything to suggest :(

In MOO this is not a runaway or a child who had an accident while being away from home. My hinky meter is going based on what I believe are the changes to dad's story about when she left home as well as all the RSO in the area. One of those RSOs just updated their address in August to nearby where she disappeared and their conviction was sexual assault of a minor...that's a huge coincidence if they aren't involved. They need to haul him in for questioning and get a search warrant to check his property.

September 14, 2018 updated 19 minutes ago

However, Taylor said weather conditions are becoming a factor.

“I think in the briefing this morning to volunteers there was a comment made that we are getting to the point now where it is getting cold outside and so we need that urgency because if she is in an area where there's exposure, things of that nature, we need to find her and we need to get her where she would be safe from cooler temperatures that are coming," said Taylor."

Community prays, searches for missing AK girl

Hi! New here. I’ve been lurking on Websleuths forever but only recently made an account. Are we allowed to mention anything seen on her parents Facebook pages?

No, we aren't supposed to. Posters get around this rule by alluding to comments on posts, directing others to go look, but without specifically bringing the information here.

Hi! New here. I’ve been lurking on Websleuths forever but only recently made an account. Are we allowed to mention anything seen on her parents Facebook pages?

I am in a dilemma about posting what I read too. I have deleted this information two times. Comments I read on KTUU CBS FB that pertains to AJB's family and we can't write about them.

I can't find any comments on the news page that are relevant. We can't talk about the content of comments here anyway.

I do see what I interpret as a sense in the community that their hopes are very low for Ashley to still be alive after all this time :-/

@cass523 could you link to the KTUU FB article, please, so that we could see what is being referred to? TIA

Some days I feel like an idiot and this is one of those days. My apologies. I can't show it now. I have been on that page searching everything that is there, it is now deleted. The person received a lot of flack for posting their opinion on taking a close look at divorced parents, checking to see if there is a criminal history, just stating their opinion when children go missing.

(The best I can do- and my apologies)

Last edited:
A member here who used to live in Kotzebue said upthread that it's a small town where many people are related to each other. Maybe there is some sort of reluctance to give information to LE because of that. If you give them information about a relative you might get yourself in trouble with half of the town you live in... only speculation.

ETA I hope that makes sense, just couldn't get the wording right...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back