Troopers searching for missing boy in Ketchikan

upload_2020-3-28_22-13-42.jpeg
Jaxon Brown
White male
4’ 2” and 70 pounds
Blonde hair
Blue eyes
last seen wearing a black jacket and camo pants

Troopers began a search on Friday for a woman and her child, identified as Jaxson Brown.

The woman’s vehicle was parked at Lunch Creek Trailhead in Ketchikan. A search was initiated and the woman was located alone approximately three miles up the trail with significant injuries to her leg.

Body of missing Ketchikan five-year-old found - KRBD
[...]

The mother didn’t have the boy with her when she was found about three miles up the trail, Kiffer said.

[...]

“She indicated that they had gotten up into deep snow about knee-deep snow, turned around, came back,” Kiffer said.

[...]

The mother reportedly placed the boy in a dry spot underneath a tree before leaving, Kiffer said.

“Her intention was to go down and get help. He was too big for her to carry,” he said.

On her way down the trail, the mother broke her ankle, he said. Troopers say she was found the following day, Friday.

Search and rescue personnel brought the mother back to the trailhead, where she was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, according to Kiffer.

[...]

Searchers find body of 5-year-old Ketchikan boy missing after hike went awry, troopers say
After spending the night together, “Treat left Jaxson to seek help on her own, as he was reportedly tired and didn’t want to hike anymore," troopers wrote. “In her rush to find help, Treat reportedly tripped on a root and significantly injured her leg. Treat was found the following day and search and rescue efforts immediately began for Jaxson.”

Rest in peace, Jaxon.

g10095.gif

So so sad poor little boy all alone in the cold and dark!
But is it just me or is this a bit strange.. why would you be hiking just before dark with a 5 year old? And why would you leave him alone to go and find help. There’s no way on earth I’d leave any of my children in that situation even my 11 year old. Too heavy to carry? Surely when your survival instinct kicks in you’d gather the strength from somewhere to keep you and your child together... I don’t know, this just set my hinky meter off a little.

But is it just me or is this a bit strange.. why would you be hiking just before dark with a 5 year old? And why would you leave him alone to go and find help. There’s no way on earth I’d leave any of my children in that situation even my 11 year old. Too heavy to carry? Surely when your survival instinct kicks in you’d gather the strength from somewhere to keep you and your child together... I don’t know, this just set my hinky meter off a little.

I find it suspicious as well, but maybe she was too disoriente? Maybe if she had not injured her leg she would have gotten help and he would be alive. No way I'm leaving my child though.

It is strange. And was a dangerous hike from every angle. It was reported yesterday afternoon that SAR found JB’s shoe. I’d like to know what COD is- if not hypothermia. I sincerely hope this boy fell asleep to low temps & not a predatory animal.

According to USDA guide to Ketchikan Trails (link p 1):
Lunch Creek Trail is described as “more difficult”, 4.8 miles with an elevation gain of 1300 feet & takes 4 hours one-way. It begins wide & then has sections of boardwalk & bridges. Parts run parallel to the creek. Densely forested on both sides of the trail. So tough to get lost, even covered in thick snow. Just look for clear open swath in trees. With such a rigorous path, why set out 3 hours before sunset. Round trip would be a 7-9 hr day trek for an experienced adult hiker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back