GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

RSBM

Not sure why this merits quote marks around the word career. Just because a business deals with the accused doesn't mean the business itself is shady.
Never implied any business was shady. However, I thought it ironic (and in the most evil sense of irony btw) that he worked for a business called "BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS UTAH".... One of my favorite clients is a bail bonds man...but of course it is not named "BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS."
Made me wonder how many times he helped men get bonded out of jail, who had been arrested on domestic violence charges?
I am a firm believer in the 8th amendment.....
So far, I have read "youth counselor", "store manager", "insurance agent" and now "bail/bond agent" in regards to "careers."
NADIRCAKE I use quotation marks, a lot. lol And, I noticed you italicized career...... are you implying something shady? Just kidding with you...quotation marks/italics....just expressions tied to words, nothing else.

I think it was premeditated.

Even the daughter was quoted as saying she knew he'd do something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She might have known that he has a temper and felt he could be dangerous. But that does not necessarily equal premeditation. jmo From what little I know about him so far he doesn't seem the calculating type, more like a person who freaks out easily. You could be right though.

Never implied any business was shady.

I sincerely apologize for misinterpreting your intention.

However, I thought it ironic (and in the most evil sense of irony btw) that he worked for a business called "BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS UTAH".... One of my favorite clients is a bail bonds man...but of course it is not named "BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS."
Made me wonder how many times he helped men get bonded out of jail, who had been arrested on domestic violence charges?
RUBBM (Respectfully Un-Bolded By Me)

It is a rather light-hearted name, I agree. However, that's not terribly unusual.

Yes, there is some situational irony in a former bondman being arrested and charged. I see what you mean.

I am a firm believer in the 8th amendment.....

As are we all, I would hope! :)

So far, I have read "youth counselor", "store manager", "insurance agent" and now "bail/bond agent" in regards to "careers."

Not everyone is fortunate enough to find one single line of work that they can succeed in for their entire lives. Unless there is some evidence of misconduct, I see no reason to look down on someone just trying to make a living.

NADIRCAKE I use quotation marks, a lot. lol And, I noticed you italicized career...... are you implying something shady? Just kidding with you...quotation marks/italics....just expressions tied to words, nothing else.

RUBBM

I interpreted your use of quotation marks in that instance as scare quotes. If I misunderstood your tone, I apologize.

Source: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks/
Some writers put quotes around words they want to distance themselves from. Quotation marks used this way are commonly called scare quotes or shudder quotes. It’s a way of implying that you’re using a term in an unusual way or that you don’t necessarily approve of it:

My use of italics for career was referring to your use of the same word in what I understood to be scare quotes.

Source: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks/
You can also use quotation marks to signify words used as words. For example: “inhale” means to take a breath. The quotation marks show that you’re talking about the word itself, not the action of inhaling. However, you’ll often hear that it’s better to italicize words used as words rather than put them in quotation marks—different style guides might prescribe different rules.

Anyhoo...
Whatever lines of work this guy has been in, this situation makes me sick. I feel so bad for those poor kids.

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for interrupting but it is urgent.

For the first time ever Websleuths needs donations to continue on.

If you would like a more detailed explanation CLICK HERE and read the top announcement and the one right below it. This will explain everything.

If you can donate anything will help.

Go to www.paypal.com and use the email address websleuthsdonations@gmail.com to make your donation.

Please DO NOT donate if it causes you the slightest financial difficulty.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
Owner Websleuths.com
Email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

bad boys bail bonds is a chain. we have them in CA too. .

OKAY?? WOW!! Guess what one of his other "career" choices was??
BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS UTAH (I can't make this stuff up, geeez)
Kenny has spent the last 12 years living and working in St. George, Utah. Kenny has three daughters and has been married for 13 years.

I think it was premeditated.

Even the daughter was quoted as saying she knew he'd do something like this.

This was not premeditated. The daughter was in the room with them when this was happening and the wife was laughing scornfully at him, I presume, and the daughter knew he would explode. He probably has a temper. He should have forgiven her and walked away.

If my FIL ever beats someone to death because they laughed at him, I won't be surprised.
However I wouldn't say it was premeditated, just inevitable. He can't control his temper sometimes.
Anyone who "disrespects him" earns his wrath.
(We have nothing to do with my FIL for this reason.)
This guy sounds like he could be similar.

He tried to throw her body overboard.

He knew what he did was wrong and wanted to get rid of the evidence.

He was calculating and worried only about himself. He showed no remorse.

I don't think this was accidental nor a case of poor impulse control.

Premeditated doesn't make sense. Isn't the purpose of premeditation so that you get away with murder? I'm not going to cut and paste all the quotes but other passengers said they heard an argument with women screaming, then heard a man saying something about "you hurt my sister". The guy from across the hall saw one of the daughters run from the room and she was saying that her parents were arguing. Kristy's brother is the one who tried to pull her away when the husband tried to throw her overboard, so it wasn't strangers. Her family was very close by while everything was going on. The passengers 2 decks up saw the husband ( after the argument, bloody) sit on the rail like he was going to jump. And the wife yelled at him to get back in his cabin. They said they didn't see his wife on the balcony.
If we knew the timing of all these events it would be clearer.

I hope there are some close relatives -- aunt & uncle, grandparents, godparents, etc. -- where the children can go as soon as they get back home. It's always such a horrible, horrible irony when a spouse kills (if that is what happened here) the other spouse, and later receives a life sentence if judged guilty, thereby leaving the children without a parent to be at the home at such a sorrowful and dreadful times in the lives of the children. I hope some good, caring friends & relatives are there to meet the kids when they return to their home in Utah. There they'll be -- their lives now so totally different from the day they left their home to go on this cruise. Dammit.

Premeditated doesn't make sense. Isn't the purpose of premeditation so that you get away with murder? I'm not going to cut and paste all the quotes but other passengers said they heard an argument with women screaming, then heard a man saying something about "you hurt my sister". The guy from across the hall saw one of the daughters run from the room and she was saying that her parents were arguing. Kristy's brother is the one who tried to pull her away when the husband tried to throw her overboard, so it wasn't strangers. Her family was very close by while everything was going on. The passengers 2 decks up saw the husband ( after the argument, bloody) sit on the rail like he was going to jump. And the wife yelled at him to get back in his cabin. They said they didn't see his wife on the balcony.
If we knew the timing of all these events it would be clearer.

Of course it's premeditated.

Premeditation took place while she "wouldn't stop laughing" at him.

Time Required

Time alone doesn’t determine whether a defendant premeditated and deliberated. All premeditation and deliberation require is the time it takes to form the intent, ponder the crime, and then act. Defendants can premeditate and deliberate in a matter of minutes, as long as the thought process occurs before the act.
There is no specific formula for determining whether a defendant premeditated and deliberated before acting. Courts and juries will consider the circumstances of each case.
EXAMPLE: A defendant convicted of first degree murder for strangling a victim with a lamp cord premeditated the murder. The evidence showed that the defendant repositioned the cord around the victim’s neck numerous times, each time giving him the opportunity to reflect on his actions. The defendant had also had time to consider his actions during a struggle with the victim prior to the strangulation, further proving premeditation. (Berube v. State, 5 So.3d 734 (Fla. 2nd DCA 2009).)

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-premeditated-deliberate-conduct.html

I don't believe the husband's pathetic excuse of "she laughed at him", I think he had "bottled" up lifelong resentment of his wife's successful career and he was jealous. We don't know anything about him but many husbands resent their wife's successful career and feel it is belittling having a successful wife, (making him feel inferior). I think he is a jealous husband and the cruise ship just happened to enclose them closer together than they normally live, (they can get further apart and keep out of each other's way at home) - bringing a lifetime's resentment to an explosive climax. He had to bash her head in quite a few times. So it was really quite a violent and brutal attack. Witnesses said blood was splattered on every surface everywhere, after which all he could think about was himself....(his life was over according to him). That is how he thinks. JMOO

When I heard the case, the idea that she laughed at him was just a tipping point for Kenneth Manzanares. I thought injustice collector. Injustice collectors bottle up lifelong resentment. I would not be surprised if he is one.

Murderous Envy
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/keeping-kids-safe/200905/murderous-envy

She might have known that he has a temper and felt he could be dangerous. But that does not necessarily equal premeditation. jmo From what little I know about him so far he doesn't seem the calculating type, more like a person who freaks out easily. You could be right though.

I think that she said it because she has seen him all through her life, physically abuse her mother.

Horrible.
Watched a doc. on cruise ship disappearances and thought some of those might have been murders as well.
Wonder what his story would've been if he'd managed to throw her overboard ?
What a monster.

RIP, Kristy !!

bbm

Unless he was able to totally clean their room of all traces of blood, and take a thorough shower & throw his bloody clothes into the drink as well -- all this before the authorities got there & assuming there were no witnesses and nobody heard anything -- he probably would have been in even more trouble -- if her body was found, he also could have been charged with disposal of the body and destroying evidence. IMO. Who knoze?

Yes, a monster.

He also essentially orphaned his children, although there are, apparently family members for them.

He said something like, "My life is over." Did he say anything about his children's lives????

I don't think it was premeditated. If a man planned to kill his wife on a cruise, he could have done it in a less obvious way.
Doesn't make it much less horrific, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back