AK - Mystery as baby girl found alive in remote home with dead parents

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Dec 20, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Mystery of baby girl found alive in remote Eskimo home where both parents were found dead (Daily Mail)
    more, plus pictures, map, sidebar, at link above

2. Loading...

3. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

Something they ate that the child wasn't given? Drugs more pure than usual so they overdosed?

I am thankful that relatives went looking. It would have been horrible for the baby to have lain there and no one ever checked.

But speaking of that, what concerned the family so much that they went to the home and broke in?

4. Blue_Dolphin308

Blue_Dolphin308 We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some

And why did they "take the baby and leave" without staying around to wait for police to show up?? That seems suspicious too!

5. LadyL

LadyL Active Member

[bbm]

I'm wondering that too ...

the article says they hadn't heard from Gina all day ... well, I can go weeks (sometimes months!) without speaking to various members of my immediate family and no one sends out the calvalry for me

maybe she was supposed to meet them for an important event or maybe they're an incredibly close family who texts/calls a lot (?)

6. jjw

jjw New Member

Maybe, they were so upset from discovering the bodies they had to leave. IDK, but I wouldn't want to stay and look at my sister's body.

Wonder how far away Gina's home was from the sister's? If it's that remote, she must have been really worried to go to the home. The weather in Alaska is another issue. Wonder what the forecast was? I've seen specials on Alaska and if the weather is really bad, it is very difficult to travel.

Another question: With the weather in Alaska wouldn't there be a lot of problems with the phone lines? Curious because when we have bad weather where I live, the phone lines and power can go quickly.

They got worried when they didn't her from Gina on Saturday. So I wonder when they last talked to her? If they talked to her on Friday, it wouldn't be that shocking that the child was still in good health.

Sad. But happy the baby is at least okay.

7. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

Although she is so young she still will probably suffer some kind of trauma. I don't know if they celebrate Christmas but what a thing to be brought up with, knowing that your parents died a week or so before Christmas or some other holiday. I just hope she is brought up with good people who give her a steady and loving home.

8. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Kipnuk Deaths: Alaska Troopers Say Couple Died of Gunshot Wounds
    a bit more at ktuu.com link; article is from 12.23 but most recent I've found

Interesting look at recent rash of area deaths involving parents and young children:

Update: Death investigations in Western Alaska

10. Charlie09

Charlie09 Former Member

I live a state away from my immediate family -
    I talk with my mom daily
    and text or email with my brother daily - if not a phone call.

Not long talks - just quick hello's how are ya?
    When my daughter was an infant the calvary would have been sent too.

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

12. Truthwillsetufree

Truthwillsetufree New Member

My adult children talk to me daily on the phone. If it is just a quick hello and goodbye. My Son learned the hard way while he was in college that when I didn't speak to him one day and going into the next day neither I or his sisters had spoke to him, I called the police, I called the college and college security. I recieved a phone call from DS about 20 minutes later. He was mortified that people came pounding on his dorm door...but I got a phone call and he was fine and that is all I cared about.
    Maybe this family was one that spoke to one another daily and living in Alaska in a remote area could bring all kinds of problems, the family felt compelled to check on their loved ones. IDK, just thankful the baby is okay.

13. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

I am sorry to hear this story, the Yup'ik community is a close one and the loss of these young people impacts the entire community. At least the baby has survived. In their culture when a person dies, the next birth in the community takes the first name of the deceased. A circle of life. One reason for removing the baby so quickly is to keep the young life distanced from the spirits of the deceased.

The Yup'ik culture is, to me, fascinating. Of all the Indian cultures I have studied in university and on my own, theirs' is the one I most enjoyed learning about. One issue in Yup'ik culture is that the younger generations have 'assimilated' and those who have had to go away from the communities to go to school or work have had trouble both in the new environment and then when they return home.

Anthropologist Anne Feinup-Riordan has written a book that was one of my textbooks on the Yup'ik; their beliefs about geese and their integral part in both physical and spiritual aspects was interesting.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Hn...w#v=onepage&q=yupik culture and geese&f=false

Here are some more links about the Yup'ik:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aro...ay-we-genuinely-live-a-look-at-yupik-culture/

http://www.ravenfeathers.com/ravenfeathers2_004.htm

http://www.alaskanative.net/en/main_nav/education/culture_alaska/yupik/

http://www.native-languages.org/yupik_culture.htm

Inuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full...s+in+Kipnuk &id=16923411&instance=alaska_news