ú

AL AL – Caucasian, Female, 50-60, Grand Bay, Mobile Co, 18 May 1976

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by folieadeuxnola, Aug 6, 2018.

1. folieadeuxnola

folieadeuxnola Miami-Dade Jane Doe - 1979

Grand Bay Jane Doe

Date Discovered: Tuesday, May 18th, 1976
    Discovery Location: Grand Bay, Mobile County, Alabama

Physical Description:
    Race:
    White
    Sex: Female
    Height: 5’3” (63”)
    Weight: 140 lbs.
    Hair: Dark Brown, Short Cut, 4” long
    Eye Color: Green
    Clothing: Yellow pullover blouse, green slacks, strap of brassiere cut in the back
    Jewelry:
    Characteristics
    /Medical/Scars: Barefoot, mole above left side of upper lip, no teeth, hysterectomy scar on abdomen, hands had been removed
    Recognizable: Morgue Photo Available
    https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/13574/Images/34682/Original
    Transportation:
    Postmortem Interval:
    2 Days
    Probable Year of Death: 1976
    Fingerprint Status: Not Available
    Dental Status: Not Available
    DNA Status: Not Available

Circumstances:
    Unidentified woman found floating in Session Creek at Potter Tract Road Bridge @ 1 mile south of Grand Bay. The woman had been found by a teenager that was shooting fish in the creek at @ 4:30 pm Tuesday May 19th, 1976. The unidentified woman had been shot once in the back of the head by a small caliber hand gun, both hands had been cut off, nose had been bloodied, an eye blackened her face and upper body was covered with a plastic bag. The woman did not have teeth and no denture's were found at the scene. The state examiner determined she had been killed Sunday night May 16th, 1976. A small pool of blood was found on the bridge an a tiny piece of plastic that may have come from the bag that partially covered her body.

Investigating Agencies:
    Mobile County Sheriff’s Office
    510 South Royal Street
    Mobile, AL. 36603
    Tele: 251.581.1181
    UID Case # 76MB131799
    Web: http://www.mobileso.com/

Information Sources:
    NAMUS
    MP Case # 13574: https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/13574/details
    Case Manager: Amy Dobbs
    Tele: 865.235.6523
    E-Mail: Amy.Dobbs@unthsc.edu

News/Blogs:
    05/19/76 – The Anniston Star
    05/19/76 - The Enterprise Journal
    09/14/07 - Al.com - http://blog.al.com/pr/2007/09/the_jane_doe_file.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Traymar, Al Ka and madamx like this.
  2. Tanningbed

Tanningbed Member

Why is Detective Amy Dobbs from Knoxville listed as a contact? Do police think the victim could be from Tennessee?

3. folieadeuxnola

From what I gather is that the NAMUS case managers have regions that cover more than one state believe Amy covers AL as well as TN and possibly FL.

4. folieadeuxnola

5. folieadeuxnola

I believe UID #13574 is the one Dt Thornton had come to Mobile to originally investigate when he came across another JDx2 # 17326 that was found in Grand Bay North of I-10 whom is potentially presumed to be Mary Ann Perez their waiting on DNA to confirm. From the news article Dt Thornton investigated both thinking that the two UID's deaths were connected however they were not.

Investigators solve cold case after 41 years

More than 35 years after Courtney’s confession, Thornton was investigating another unidentified body found in Mobile County.

“I actually went to investigate another Jane Doe that was found in ‘76,” Thornton explained. “And behind her, I found Jane Doe X2. So I thought there might be some correlation so I started investigating and found there was no correlation.”

JaneDoex2 # 17326 - Unidentified Person Case

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Traymar and Al Ka like this.
  6. Al Ka

Al Ka Well-Known Member

Murder victim remains unidentified, crime unsolved, 43 years later

In May, 1976, two boys fishing in a creek off Potter Tract Road south of Grand Bay, discovered a body floating face down. The woman had been shot in the back of the head, her dentures had been removed and her hands had been cut off. She was in her 50's or early 60's. She was never identified. No one was ever arrested, although a suspect did emerge almost twenty years later after a similar crime was discovered nearby.

News-5 will talk to investigators and examine this Cold Case Friday night at 10pm on News-5.

Murder victim remains unidentified, crime unsolved, 43 years later

Traymar and folieadeuxnola like this.
  7. wfaygo

wfaygo Former Member

Woman found floating in creek near Grand Bay in 1976 never identified
    A woman found shot, floating in a creek, with her hands cut off. 43 years later her identity still isn't known and no one has ever been arrested for the crime.

On May 18, 1976, two boys were fishing in a creek that runs under Potter Tract Road south of Grand Bay and made a gruesome discovery.

"They're out there at the fishin' hole and found a lady floating face down in the water," said Detective J.T Thornton of the Mobile County Sheriff's Office

Thornton says the woman found in the creek had been shot, her dentures removed, and her hands cut off. Plastic bags were wrapped around her arms and head.

-- more with autopsy photo

Traymar, folieadeuxnola and Al Ka like this.
  8. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Potential match?
    The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Shirley Joann Banning
    Aka Shirley Snow

Female, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact
    May 23, 1975.
    UID 5/18/1975 est. deceased 2 days

Missing From Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Missing Age - 36 Years.

Demographics
    Missing Age. 36 Years. UID 50-60
    Current Age. 80 Years
    First Name. Shirley
    Middle Name. Joann
    Last Name. Banning
    Nickname/Alias. Shirley Snow

SexFemale
    Height. 5' 8" - 5' 9" (68 - 69 Inches) 5'3
    Weight. 160 lbs 140#
    Race / Ethnicity. White / Caucasian

Hair Color Red/Auburn, frosted. Brown
    Eye Color. Hazel. Grey eyes MP wore glasses - cateye style Green
    Pierced ears.

Her vehicle found a week after she disappeared at the Hilton Inn, Hwy I44 & Yale Ave, Tulsa.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Shirley Banning was last seen in Oklahoma (she lived in Broken Arrow with a sister) on May 23, 1975. The mother of three vanished after telling a family member she was going away.

Physically last seen @1230pm at the Beauty Parlor, northwest corner of 31st and Mingo, Tulsa , Oklahoma (later called the Lyon Jack's donut shop).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#

The descriptive features between this UID and Ms. Banning do not match very much but they aren't ridiculously far off either. The date of last contact and discovery dates are only a few days apart but the locations are rather distant from one another (Tulsa, OK to Mobile, AL). Although the MP did tell others she was leaving (per NamUs- "vanished after telling a family member she was going away") and Mobile, AL is a well known spot for vacationers and gamblers I think. Also, her car was found abandoned at the Holiday Inn in Tulsa, OK. Perhaps she left from there with someone who took her to Alabama.

Height and weight are subjective, prone to errors by ppl reporting MPs, purposefully inaccurate, etc. They're not huge differences but enough to give me pause. Blue eyes are sometimes mistaken for hazel/gray eyes depending on lighting, clothing colors, etc. Also, if i understand decomp sometimes the eye color could appear differently during the decomp process. I wonder if thats true when decomp is only a few days along and if this could be the case with this UID? Ms. Banning's hair is described as frosted red/auburn though in one pic it looks dark brown, lighter brown in another, and re in the third pic. The UID is described as brown.

The UID had no teeth and dentures weren't found. The pics of Ms. Banning looks as though she didn't have teeth. The moles for both are interesting. Some show up in Ms. Banning's pics and in other pics they don't but there is a mole on the left side of UID's forehead and on the left side of Ms. B's forehead in this pic.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure I'm thoroughly convinced this is a match but I think it's worth looking into further. MOO I will continue looking into other possibilities. Any thoughts?

folieadeuxnola likes this.
  9. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Other potential matches.

#

[​IMG]

Florence Hector - 72yo
    Date of Last Contact. May 10, 1976
    Missing From. Duluth, Minnesota

Brown hair. Brown eyes. 5'4" 120#

Florence Hector, a retired Duluth East High School English teacher, was last seen on May 10, 1976. She left her apartment in Mount Royal Manor for a trip to Minneapolis. She never arrived. Her car was found in a downtown Minneapolis parking lot.

#

Missing Person / NamUs #MP21402

[​IMG]

Cherry Lee Weaver - 35yo

Date of Last Contact. February 23, 1976
    Missing From. Ft Walton Beach, Florida
    Missing Age. 35 Years
    5'2" 130#
    Hair - strawberry blonde / Eyes - green
    Scars on both cheeks.
    Jewelry - Butterfly Necklace, Roadrunner Necklace and Mood Necklace

Weaver was last seen about 08:30 a.m. on February 23, 1976. Her husband was apparently supposed to meet her at their apartment around lunchtime that day to go look at a house. But when he got home, Weaver wasn't there. Police say that foul play may be involved in her disappearance, but don't have any strong physical evidence pointing toward that. There is also no evidence to indicate that Weaver was experiencing any personal strife that might have prompted her to leave home willingly. Her family said that she never had a history of leaving home, and none of her personal belongings, including her purse and her vehicle, were missing.

#

[​IMG]
    Missing Person / NamUs #MP22893

Esther M Gesler - 37yo

Date of Last Contact. March 14, 1976
    Missing From. Kent, Washington
    Missing Age. 37 Years

5' 6" - 5' 8" (66 - 68 Inches)
    Weight. 150 - 160 lbs
    Brown hair. Green eyes.
    Clothing - Red t-shirt with "Athlete's Foot" on front, red checkered pants, long black leather coat with fur collar

Circumstance Notes
    Missing under suspicious circumstances, foul play suspected.

#

[​IMG]

Missing Person / NamUs #MP330

Milda Dahl McQuillan - 71
    Date of Last Contact. June 17, 1975
    Missing From. Ponsford, Minnesota
    Missing Age. 71 Years

Demographics
    Height. 5' 3" (63 Inches)
    Weight. 130 lbs
    Race / Ethnicity. White / Caucasian
    Brown hair. Light brown
    Blue eyes.

Clothing and Accessories
    Blue and white striped shirt, blue slacks, blue jacket

Eyewear
    Glasses with plastic frames

Jewelry
    Gold wedding ring with oval setting and filigree around stones

Milda was last seen driving her car south on East Bad Medicine Lake Rd. near Ponsford, MN. Her pea green, two door, 1968 Dodge was later located approximately 100 feet off East Bad Medicine Lake Rd. in a heavily wooded area.

#

10. Traymar

Traymar Well-Known Member

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. I grew up in Grand Bay - off Potter Tract Road, and was living there in 1976. One thing I noticed is that they say on Potter Tract Rd, south of Grand Bay - but there is nothing south of Grand Bay down Potter Tract Rd except land's end. I will read up on this some more and see what I can find out.

folieadeuxnola and Al Ka like this.
  11. folieadeuxnola

She was found at Sessions Creek on Potter Tract Road - Google Maps

Traymar, silverjug and Al Ka like this.
  12. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

I live here currently and know that you have to be either from the area or at least familiar with it to find this spot.

Most likely, this woman was killed by a family member.