Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019 #2 *ARREST*

Thanks for all of the info on meth. I'm not able to look it up right now myself, and wasn't sure if it was enough on its own to trigger a violent frenzy. I've heard mention of other substances doing that, like those "bath salts" crimes, but never really looked into it. I just thought OMG, how awful.

The video showing where/how she lived makes this even sadder. Those are very small, very old mobile homes. They look like one I lived in as a kid for awhile almost 50 years ago. Poor Amberly. I think her life was very hard. I also feel very sad for her little brother, and her cousins.

True, but there are many children in the same situation and most of them are not abducted or murdered.

Elizabeth Smart was in the exact opposite situation and she was abducted and repeatedly sexually assaulted. She was not even left alone at the time.

I’m just not sure there’re any lessons to be learned here. :(:(:(

ETA sad faces

I think there are plenty of lessons to be learned, but I worry that we’re preaching to the choir here.

Like another poster said, for every case that’s more of a rare anomaly (Elizabeth Smart, Jayme Closs, etc.), there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of horrendous crimes committed against more vulnerable kids (AB, Cherish Perrywinkle, Lucas Hernandez). And, these poor kids aren’t vulnerable because of any choices they themselves have made — they’re just children. Kids are stuck in the interpersonal & environmental webs we weave for them, as adults.

Think of it like this: what more could’ve been done to prevent the Jayme Closs case from happening? Likely, nothing to very, very little. What could’ve been done to prevent little Cherish Perrywinkle from being snatched from Walmart by a demon, or to prevent what happened to AB? Likely, several to many things.

***I’m not saying this to victim blame. Responsibility for crime lies solely with the perpetrators.*** But, as parents &/or guardians/adults, it’s up to us to make it harder for perps to gain access to our children/children that we love.

I would just like to mention that there has been quite a bit of negative things said about local LE in this case. I'm not sure I agree with that at least not with what I have seen. They quickly Located AB and quickly apprehended CM. Now as far as weather CM should have been locked up already and should have never had the opportunity in the first place is somewhat unclear to me. Based on the documents I have found CM had A TPO issued against him and that order was based on written statements by his then GF. It seems that TPO had expired and no criminal charges were filed. I'm not sure what the proof was outside of that TPO so its hard for me to speculate what LE should have or shouldn't have done. Based on what we now know I will say its highly likely that many of the things on that TPO probably did happen. Sometimes a prosecutors hands can be tied because they don't have the evidence that they needed to make charges stick. I have no idea if that was the case in that particular previous incident. I'm sure we may eventually find out more. Also based on a video from WZDX local tv station linked upthread, neighbors said they often heard CM and his GF screaming at each other. MOO

Last edited:
May I suggest, for those of you/us who feel so passionately about protecting innocent children that you look for ways in your home communities to get involved...whether it is mentoring an at-risk family, fostering a child, encouraging or bringing meals to a foster family, serving as a CASA. There are MANY, MANY ways (large and small) that you can take your passion and contribute to the solutions.

Even if you are homebound or on a limited income, you'd be surprised how much encouragement or a listening ear can help! (It also helps with the sense of outrage and powerlessness you may be feeling)

(Edited by me for misspelling and a closing statement)

I wonder. I was surprised to learn awhile back that not all child predators are classic pedophiles and that many are simply degenerate and opportunistic monsters who simply see someone vulnerable and defenseless and go for it. They may not be particularly "attracted" to children. So while you might typically see things like domestic violence, assault, drug and alcohol histories, you might not see patterns of child sexual predation in their histories.

http://www.calcasa.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/pedophiles-and-child-molesters.doc

Very well written and interesting read. Thank you!

Probably not. Because those who neglect children aren't going to stop due to this or any other child murder.

But I knew someone would bring up Elizabeth Smart or Polly Klass. Well cared for children from affluent or upper middle class families who were still taken and killed.

They are anomalies.

For every Elizabeth Smart there are a hundred Katie Beers or Cherish Perriwinkles, IMO.
I’m not going to argue with any of that. :) All children deserve to be protected and that’s our number one job as parents. I just don’t know enough yet to know that she was neglected. Maybe she was. She wasn’t in an ideal situation for sure, but her being on SM or in makeup or at home alone or even living in a crowded trailer with family to finish out the school year doesn’t equal neglect to me. Now, subjecting her to a drug fueled environment, particularly meth, or knowingly letting your child live next door to a violent person is something else, but I don’t know enough of what was known yet.
Right now I am blaming the piece of trash who murdered her and I feel so sad for her mother.

Absolute joke how women are expected in today’s generation or any generations to cover themselves. It’s a choice made by these perps regardless of their mental health or temptations to act on these horrible acts and sexual abuse. Everybody makes choices in life and know right from wrong. It’s unbelievable how most of these criminals have children/partners/aunts/grandmothers and mothers and they choose to do these things to vulnerable females. The *advertiser censored* thing is, it’s not going to change. Its only going to get worse.

Thanks for all of the info on meth. I'm not able to look it up right now myself, and wasn't sure if it was enough on its own to trigger a violent frenzy. I've heard mention of other substances doing that, like those "bath salts" crimes, but never really looked into it. I just thought OMG, how awful.

The video showing where/how she lived makes this even sadder. Those are very small, very old mobile homes. They look like one I lived in as a kid for awhile almost 50 years ago. Poor Amberly. I think her life was very hard. I also feel very sad for her little brother, and her cousins.
Do you have a link to this video? Cheers

Also based on a video from WZDX local tv station linked upthread, neighbors said they often heard CM and his GF screaming at each other. MOO

The lot with the 2 mobiles is large enough that CM and his GF must have been quite loud to be often heard by neighbors.

People have no obligation to report a noise disturbance, and might opt not to, in order to avoid a feud, with an angry neighbor.

In a different neighborhood, where houses were closer together, a call from neighbors, might have lead to a DV arrest.

Neighbors urged to report domestic abuse

Most of the folks that come to our shelter have not called the police at any point in their relationship. And if they have had police involvement, it is usually because of neighbors calling the police on their behavior,” Terwelp said.

If police find evidence that physical abuse has occurred, they are required to arrest the offender, even if the victim doesn’t want to press charges.

Last edited:
I think our responsibility extends past limiting opportunity to ourselves and our daughters but overall, how we parent our children -- specifically our sons. I have a son and I am going to do everything in my power to make sure he grows up to understand how to manage his emotions, how to express them in healthy ways, what a healthy loving or sexual relationship looks like, how to treat another human being. How to have empathy.

This is, I think, where we have the MOST impact -- and the largest ripple effect. The work done in our homes, in our families, is eternal.
True......but some people IMO, are just born wired differently than the rest of us.

True......but some people IMO, are just born wired differently than the rest of us.

It's very difficult for me to buy the idea that people are born wired to sexually desire children or to be wired to be sadists or whatever deviant desires they act on. If people are wired that way then in reality that absolves them of a lot of guilt or responsibility for those desires. (Obvs not acting on them though). But I'm just not comfortable with saying some people are born that way.

I believe everyone makes choices. They encourage the thoughts and desires that come to mind. Many or most people put out of their head thoughts that would automatically strike people as off or wrong. But other people cultivate thoughts like a garden rather than weeding them out. They do everything possible to encourage the growth of those thoughts in their mind. They seek out one thing leading to another and then another. And when they act on it? I think it's the fruit of encouraging a deviant mind rather than the fruit of biology.

True, but there are many children in the same situation and most of them are not abducted or murdered.

Elizabeth Smart was in the exact opposite situation and she was abducted and repeatedly sexually assaulted. She was not even left alone at the time.

I’m just not sure there’re any lessons to be learned here. :(:(:(

ETA sad faces
Word!
Sadly, if the parents are poor or had problems, they will often be blamed and shamed in ways wealthy, connected parents do not face.. Money talks. Nice house, Harp lessons, beautiful studio family portraits...

(Yet Elizabeth was taught to believe LDS teachings, that she has said, kept her from trying to escape from her kidnappers).

Peoples often judge others to try and make sense of crazy, so they can feel safer or simply because humans are a judgmental lot.

I think there are plenty of lessons to be learned, but I worry that we’re preaching to the choir here.

Like another poster said, for every case that’s more of a rare anomaly (Elizabeth Smart, Jayme Closs, etc.), there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of horrendous crimes committed against more vulnerable kids (AB, Cherish Perrywinkle, Lucas Hernandez). And, these poor kids aren’t vulnerable because of any choices they themselves have made — they’re just children. Kids are stuck in the interpersonal & environmental webs we weave for them, as adults.

Think of it like this: what more could’ve been done to prevent the Jayme Closs case from happening? Likely, nothing to very, very little. What could’ve been done to prevent little Cherish Perrywinkle from being snatched from Walmart by a demon, or to prevent what happened to AB? Likely, several to many things.

***I’m not saying this to victim blame. Responsibility for crime lies solely with the perpetrators.*** But, as parents &/or guardians/adults, it’s up to us to make it harder for perps to gain access to our children/children that we love.

It's all very true. But in a sense, there wasn't much that could be done to prevent this either, without major changes in our society, IMO. Like a lot more help to people with issues. More social programs for single parents. More affordable housing. Free and high quality childcare. Parenting programs and assistance. Better treatment of addiction and mental health issues.

Tall order. High cost.

I would just like to mention that there has been quite a bit of negative things said about local LE in this case. I'm not sure I agree with that at least not with what I have seen. They quickly Located AB and quickly apprehended CM. Now as far as weather CM should have been locked up already and should have never had the opportunity in the first place is somewhat unclear to me. Based on the documents I have found CM had A TPO issued against him and that order was based on written statements by his then GF. It seems that TPO had expired and no criminal charges were filed. I'm not sure what the proof was outside of that TPO so its hard for me to speculate what LE should have or shouldn't have done. Based on what we now know I will say its highly likely that many of the things on that TPO probably did happen. Sometimes a prosecutors hands can be tied because they don't have the evidence that they needed to make charges stick. I have no idea if that was the case in that particular previous incident. I'm sure we may eventually find out more. Also based on a video from WZDX local tv station linked upthread, neighbors said they often heard CM and his GF screaming at each other. MOO

Agreed. They've done a great job and seem sensitive and affected by this.

I’m not going to argue with any of that. :) All children deserve to be protected and that’s our number one job as parents. I just don’t know enough yet to know that she was neglected. Maybe she was. She wasn’t in an ideal situation for sure, but her being on SM or in makeup or at home alone or even living in a crowded trailer with family to finish out the school year doesn’t equal neglect to me. Now, subjecting her to a drug fueled environment, particularly meth, or knowingly letting your child live next door to a violent person is something else, but I don’t know enough of what was known yet.
Right now I am blaming the piece of trash who murdered her and I feel so sad for her mother.

I'm not blaming anyone but the murderer. I've said that clearly and am not sure how I can make that any clearer.

Those of us who have the sense that this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected as she should've been aren't blaming anyone else. Not victim blaming. Not blaming her family. It's simply a fact and noteworthy that vulnerable children are more at risk of this kind of thing.

The only reason I brought that up was due to the discussion about make up and social media access and whether those are or can be relevant to what happened to her.

My opinion is that they may be relevant to whether she was vulnerable child or even neglected.

Of course I don't know if she was neglected. I can't say that definitively. But:

1. She wasn't living with her parents. So something went wrong.
2. She was living in close proximity to a violent criminal. Something her caregivers had to have known, IMO.
3. Despite that, she was left unattended.
4. She had multiple social media accounts. At age 11. Which included photos of her in very heavy, adult-style make-up. Pouting and posing.
5. This child is featured in various social media photos heavily made up and not just for dance class, from what I can tell. Her make up is very adult.

All of that combined signals something to me. That this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected by those responsible for her.

But more importantly, all of that signals that she was a vulnerable child to predators who would then see her as easy prey.

That's the issue.

I can't blame anyone else because there are various reasons why a child can become vulnerable and at risk which aren't anyone's fault, such as mental illness, physical illness or financial issues of the parents, among other things.

My only point is for those demanding we not mention her appearance or social media access, as s if those of us discussing that issue are victim blaming, they're not understanding the issue.

I see a lot of things that make it appear that this child had major difficulties in her life and was easy prey for the monster who came across her path.

I don't even think much can reasonably be done to make all our children less vulnerable or even most of them. It's all so complex. But whoever mentioned getting involved, like becoming a CASA. That's a great idea. There are small things we can do to make a child's life better.

Absolute joke how women are expected in today’s generation or any generations to cover themselves. It’s a choice made by these perps regardless of their mental health or temptations to act on these horrible acts and sexual abuse. Everybody makes choices in life and know right from wrong. It’s unbelievable how most of these criminals have children/partners/aunts/grandmothers and mothers and they choose to do these things to vulnerable females. The **** thing is, it’s not going to change. Its only going to get worse.

Can you point to any post or any article that suggests women (and little girls), need to cover themselves? How is this at all relevant to the conversation? Maybe I missed something?

This kid should've been able to walk down the street naked and not been subject to assault and murder by some weirdo. What's your point?

From your link.....

“Police were called and it didn't take long for family members to question why Madison was searching the same spot.”

“He says, well, I’m going to go back up there and search one more time and he went back up there in the same spot and kept saying nothings up here and that’s where they found her body,” said John Wayne Barnett.”

“Crane says cadaver dogs found Amberly's body about two hundred yards behind Madison's home Saturday morning.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back