AL - Angel Downs, 45, fatally shot, Gulf Shores, 9 May 2010

11556098-db8.jpg

JD Crowe 5/26/10
http://blog.al.com/jdcrowe/2010/05/nodine_1.html
Editorial cartoons and commentary from J.D. Crowe of the Press-Register

Steve Nodine's life and career are being dragged down by his demons.

The Mobile County Commissioner, already awaiting an impeachment trial for fraudulent use of a county vehicle, belligerent behavior and prescription drug abuse, has now been charged with murder in the death of his mistress.

Baldwin County Sheriff Huey "Hoss" Mack says the murder of Angel Downs is the end result of a history of domestic violence.

Nodine's erratic behavior and personal life have been on extraordinary, and now tragic, public display for several weeks. How long have his actions been covered for by colleagues, officials, friends and lawyers? Had Nodine been held accountable sooner, perhaps a life could have been spared.

Cha Cha, thanks again for the updates & background on this case(s). What a cast of characters!

11556571-ec1.JPG

Steve Nodine's not so secret life Watch Video

"I totally think Steve was a different person out of work," said Chassity Ebbole.

Ebbole, owner of L.A. Body Art, has known Nodine for years. She remembers one particular night she spent with him.

"This was back in 2003 for the Snoop Dogg concert. And after I tattooed the promoters and we all made contacts, I was invited to the VIP trip to the concert and I took the invitation. And I stepped into the limousine, and there was Steve. And Steve and I knew each other and it didn't surprise me that he was there," Ebbole said.

Ebbole said Steve made himself known, and he never gave much thought to how he came across to others.

"I just remember, Steve had a drink and he was just shucking and jiving and having a good time with everybody," Ebbole explained.

No one seemed to ever question Nodine on his behavior out of work.

"We would see him in the bars, and you know, it's not a secret that Steve liked to drink, that's not a secret at all and he was very much a butterfly. You'd see Steve here and there and there and there. Nobody stopped for one minute to say, 'Hey wait a minute, this is a person within authority within our city council.' Steve had the ability to hang out with the common man, have a blast, then go over to Government Plaza and handle business," Ebbole said.

Nodine also had a love for women, despite the fact that he was married.

"Steve was a flirt, hands down and across the board. Any female out there is going to tell you Steve's a flirt. That's not a shock either; that's common information," added Ebbole.

Watch Cassity, Uncle Henry and Steve Nodine talk about her stripping, posing for Hustler Magazine and Tattoos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCstXXY5TwY&feature=player_embedded

11562320-c6b.jpg

Judge Takes Nodine’s Bond “Under Submission”

WKRG Video and story June 1, 2010

BALDWIN COUNTY (WALA) - Steve Nodine had a bond reduction hearing this morning, however the judge did not make a ruling.
The judge wants to wait for the federal indictment on firearms possession charges to be dealt with before addressing the bond reduction on the murder charge.

Nodine says he wants to spend time with his son. His Pastor and friend spoke on his behalf.

Angel will never get to visit her father or mother again, there will never be any more joyful moments, nor hope and promise of a future.
That’s what I think of when I see Nodine smile smugly.

Steve Nodine, the man, the myth, the murder suspect?

Interesting story by Shane McBryde about Nodine being in charge of a juvenile offenders program while in Atlanta. Of course there's no actual proof of what he tells the Palm Beach Post. His car is also stolen back in 1993.

Thanks so much ChaCha for keeping us updated on this murderer. What a Piece of work. He really should just try to deal his sentence down. it would save everyone from having to testify to what an *advertiser censored****** he is. Thanks again.

The inmate search shows Nodine is still in jail in Baldwin County.
http://www.co.baldwin.al.us/Pageview.asp?edit_id=510

IF AND WHEN HE MEETS HIS BOND ON THE MURDER CHARGE HE IS TO BE RELEASED INTO FEDERAL CUSTODY AND HE WILL HAVE TO MEET A BOND THE THE FEDERAL WEAPONS CHARGE WITH THEM.

11580695-815.jpg

Nodine's friend Mickey Dearmon is posting it. Mikey is the friend who was seen on TV at the bond hearing and prior saying Nodine had stayed with he, his wife and daughters.

Nodine's bond will be paid WKRG

Nodine close to posting $500K bond WKRG Nodine will remain in jail on a federal detainer even after posting bond on the murder charge, but posting the bond gets the ball rolling on his federal proceedings. Nodine’s first appearance in federal court is expected to be scheduled within 24 hours of posting bond. A federal judge will then schedule a detention hearing within three days to decide whether he should be held in jail through his federal trial.

Steve Nodine's Friend Comes Up with Bond Money Local 15TV

Mickey was recently in the news because of a problem with one of his daughters and 7 friends. They were arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit criminal mischief.

Naughty Cheerleaders Arrested WKRG

Nodine's bond posted by Mickey Dearmon

BAY MINETTE, Alabama (WALA) - Steve Nodine's bond has been posted by long-time friend Mickey Dearmon.

Dearmon said he thought long and hard before putting up the bond.
"That's what friends do. I have talked to Steve every day since he has been in the Baldwin County Jail. When I told him I put up the bond he started crying," said Dearmon.

Dearmon put up his Semmes home, a separate piece of land, and some cash.

Nodine's bond was $500,000.

"There are two sides to every story, and when Nodine gets out you'll hear his side," added Dearmon.

Dearmon said Nodine is facing tremendous legal fees, and can't contact people from jail to help.

"It doesn't work with me calling these people and asking for money," said Dearmon.

Dearmon said he went to a local bank to see about opening a Nodine defense fund.

"The bank said it wasn't interested. I've got six accounts with that bank. I will be pulling all of them," said Dearmon.

Once Nodine is released from the Baldwin County Jail, he is scheduled to appear in federal court.

Breaking News from the Press-Register Update: Sheriff approves bond in Stephen Nodine case, but former commissioner remains jailed, officials say By Kim Lanier

clipped for length

Circuit Judge Charles Partin reduced the bail for Nodine's bond from $500,000 to $250,000, according to the Baldwin County District Attorney's Office.

Friends and supporters came up with the bail late Wednesday, but ran into problems with the property bond which were later straightened out, according to defense attorney Dennis Knizley.

Nodine remains in the Baldwin County Corrections Center in Bay Minette charged with the May 9 shooting death of his girlfriend, Angel Downs.

Nodine's bond posted by Mickey Dearmon, Dearmon put up his own home, land, and cash Fox10News

clipped for length

This horrible picture that has been painted of him You know it is tragic what happened to Ms. Downs but there are two sides to every story," said Dearmon. "You're about to hear both sides."

Nodine's Bond Reduced By Half WKRG-TV

Wow, the bank didn't want to have anything to do with the defense fund. Imagine that.
This Dearmon guy is going to regret putting up all his worldly good, imo. I think he is also covering for his daughter and her "friends" about the vandalism. What a guy.

I would like to hear the rest of the story. This should be a "Whopper". LOL

Feds enter Gulf Coast murder saga by Kevin Lee June 6, 2010
Kevin is an excellent writer and gives a colorful yet accurate account of this story with many tidbits of unknown information. He's always an entertaining read.

Press Register - Full report: Stephen Nodine pleads not guilty to gun charge By Brendan Kirby June 05, 2010, 5:18AM

Press Register - Editorial: Mobile County Commission needs ethics reform By Press-Register Editorial Board June 05, 2010, 5:50AM
The comments are always very informative and fun reading.

Steve Nodine Can't Afford Private Lawyers for Federal Case Local 15TV by Irika Sargent 6/04 6:17 pm

Nodine Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges by Jessica Taloney WKRG

11642214-2cd.jpg

Breaking News from the Press-Register Businessman who put up bond for Stephen Nodine facing criminal charges

Clipped for length:
Norris "Mickey" Dearmon Jr., 37, who has testified on Nodine's behalf and volunteered to take him in if he's released from jail, pleaded guilty to several misdemeanors as a young man, according to the records, and was arrested in March, accused of threatening a volunteer firefighter with a pipe wrench.

The records contradict statements made by Dearmon in court last week as he testified on Nodine's behalf. Dearmon said on the stand that he did not have a criminal record.

Press Register: Federal public defender asks out of Stephen Nodine gun case

Clipped for length:
Federal Defender Carlos Williams said he sought the recusal because his wife, Merceria Ludgood, serves on the commission. Williams said that if his wife for any reason were to become a witness, it would mean that he or one of his assistant federal defenders would have to cross-examine her.

Mickey Dearmon's attempt to post bond for Stephen Nodine rejected, say police by Robert McClendon Published: Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 5:30 AM

DA: Stain on Stephen Nodine's truck unlikely to be blood by Brendan Kirby Published: Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 5:32 AM

clipped for length:

Law enforcement officials said Downs' neighbors called 911 at 7:53 p.m. after finding the 45-year-old dead in her driveway.

Newcomb said that about five people told investigators they heard a gunshot and then saw Nodine's red pickup truck driving away.

Here is a look at the calls Stephen Nodine made and received just before and after the death of Angel Downs on May 9.

• To Angel Downs, 7:38 p.m., 1 minute.
  • To Angel Downs, 7:42 p.m., 1 minute.
  • To Angel Downs, 7:43 p.m., 1 minute.
  • To Angel Downs, 7:44 p.m., 1 minute.
  • 7:53 p.m. - Downs found fatally shot in her driveway.
  • To Greg Peterson, 8:47 p.m., 2 minutes.
  • To Mark Erwin, 8:51 p.m., 4 minutes.
  • From Matt Green, 8:58 p.m., 2 minutes.
  • To Mark Erwin, 9:01 p.m., 1 minute.
  • To Matt Green, 9:09 p.m., 1 minute.
  • From Matt Green, 9:13 p.m., 6 minutes.
  • From Nodine's home number, 9:32 p.m., 4 minutes.
What was he doing for almost and hour? Cleaning up? Changing clothes? I am thinking of motive and opportunity? Who else could have had either of these?

Cha Cha, Thanks so much for all the updates. I'm over in Pensacola and heard about this case on the news a few nights after it happened. What a tragedy. RIP beautiful Angel.

Murder suspect Nodine's first call on day after Downs shooting was to Sheriff Sam Cochran Published: Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 11:54 AM by Brendan Kirby

MOBILE, Ala. -- Murder suspect Stephen Nodine's first telephone call on the day after his girlfriend died from a gunshot wound was to Mobile County Sheriff Sam Cochran, not the county's top road construction official.

The Press-Register originally reported that Nodine called County Engineer Joe Ruffer at 7:09 a.m on May 10. Ruffer said Tuesday that he remembered the call and that it concerned the county's Pay-As-You-Go program that finances road projects.

But phone logs provided by Mobile County show that call actually took place the previous morning. Ruffer said today that that was the call he remembered.

See the bill for Stephen Nodine's cell phone covering the period from April 26 to May 25, 2010.

DivShare File - nodinephonerecords.pdf

Nodine stands accused of murder in the shooting death of Angel Downs, a Gulf Shores Realtor with whom he had been having an affair. Nodine contends that he was not present for the shooting.

It is unclear what Nodine and Cochran discussed during the 6-minute call. Cochran is out of town this week and did not immediately return a call this morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back