Found Deceased AL - Ben Stanford, 17, Anniston, Nov 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14535003/detail.html

November 7, 2007

Law enforcement in Alabama and Georgia are searching for the 17-year-old grandson of an Alabama state senator. Officials say Ben Stanford of Anniston has not been seen since Monday morning. He's the grandson of state Senator Jim Preuitt of Talladega.

Family members say Stanford was driving a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and they know he bought gas Monday morning near Interstate 20 in Lincoln.

Stanford is described at 140 pounds with brown hair and green eyes.

no pic at link

http://www.dailyhome.com/news/2007/dh-talladegacounty-1107-cnorwood-7k06v4312.htm

11-07-2007

The vehicle may have been seen in Villa Rica, Ga.

Ben is the son of Bill and Lynne Stanford, and the grandson of state Sen. Jim Preuitt (D-Talladega).

no pic at link

There's a picture at the following link. Strange how it says his SUV was found that same day on I-20 ramp with the passenger door left open, and the keys gone. I would imagine that he missed school that day, Donoho is a private school in Anniston...between where his car was found in Georgia, and Lincoln---where the credit card was used is north of Anniston.
Nice looking young man. Prayers for his safe return.

More at link
www.dailyhome.com/news/2007/dh-localnews-1108-cnorwood-7k07u5549.htm

Ben is still missing. I received some updates today at my work email....I am a secretary at a golf course here in east-central Alabama and the lady who does my same job at a sister site in Gadsden (very near where Ben is missing from and 2 hours north of me) says he is still missing but police found no signs of foul play around his vehicle, no blood or signs of trauma or a struggle.

Ben's mother gave an interview to abc3340 in which she says she saw the surveillance video at the gas station and does not believe it is her son driving. She says she is afraid someone has hurt her son. She adds that his cell phone is full, and he hasn't logged in to his email accounts, which he did everyday before his disappearance. It was also mentioned that the car was out of gas when found in Villa Rica Georgia.

Ben's mother gave an interview to abc3340 in which she says she saw the surveillance video at the gas station and does not believe it is her son driving. She says she is afraid someone has hurt her son. She adds that his cell phone is full, and he hasn't logged in to his email accounts, which he did everyday before his disappearance. It was also mentioned that the car was out of gas when found in Villa Rica Georgia.

I believe he was car-jacked on his way to school, for that flashy 2007 Jeep Cherokee. :(

http://www.annistonstar.com/showcase/2007/as-open-1109-ncenegy-7k09i5717.htm

Nov 9 2007

...the family decided to offer a $20,000 reward...

and

His 2007 Jeep Cherokee was discovered on Interstate-20 East by Georgia state troopers on Monday. It was later recovered and searched by the Carroll County, Ga., Sheriff’s Department.

The sheriff’s department also searched the area around the highway by foot patrol, with police dogs and by helicopter.
Talladega District Attorney Steve Giddens said Wednesday the vehicle “did not appear to have been wrecked and was still operable.”

and

Stanford was last seen wearing rust-colored Carhartt jeans and a long-sleeved, fleece, dark gray and purple shirt with a white Polo baseball cap. He weighs approximately 140 pounds and has brown hair and green eyes. He was driving a silver 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

(It sounds like the community where Ben lives is pulling out all stops to locate him, according to the article.)

I still think he was carjacked or robbed at gunpoint....I think whoever did it abandoned the car in GA after realizing (duh) the police would be looking for it. But where is he?

His Aunt Leigh Leak was on Greta last night, and even she seemed sedated. The whole family is devastated by this.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, but I have been a lurker here for a long time. I live in the Anniston area and after searching the website for ABC 3340, found the video ShowerSinger spoke about and have provided the link below. His mom gives her feelings on what she thinks and it is heartbreaking, but also so many of his friends and co-workers of his mom have worked very hard in getting Ben's information out, that is it actually bittersweet. It is very hard to watch his mom, but uplifting to see so many working together to find this young man. I pray their hard work is rewarded with Ben's safe return.

http://www.abc3340.com/abc3340video...jla.com/abc3340/1109-missing.wmv&stat=abc3340

I live in the area also, Jacksonville actually. I had looked for this video after seeing it on tv last night and couldn't find it. Thanks! I'm seeing flyers everywhere I go. But I believe he may have been forced to drive to GA and is no longer in this area. It's about 70 miles of interstate from Lincoln AL to Villa Rica GA. I believe gas was purchased in Lincoln, must not have filled it up though, because even though this vehicle probably uses a lot of gas, if filled up, it should not have run out in 70 miles should it? Ben may not have still been with the vehicle at this point because, just guessing of course, he seems like the kind of kid who would have debit/credit cards and wouldn't they have used them for more gas? I'm just thinking here....
Bless him and his family.

Hello, raindrops300. You are very welcome for the link. It took me several attempts until I found it and I hope it is available online long enough for those who missed it, or are not in this area to see. Yes, I have been amazed at the number of flyers I see everywhere. I am so glad his face and name are out there in so many places for people to see.

I am one that usually pays at the pump because I am always in a hurry! I understand what you are saying, though. If Ben was not in the jeep at that time, the person driving may have been afraid to go inside in case someone might remember what they looked like and reported it to the police. I hope that makes sense. Otherwise, yes, I think they would have purchased more than gas.

My biggest question is, if Ben spent the night in Anniston with a friend, as his mother states in the video and has been repeatedly reported in the news, why was gas purchased in Lincoln, which would appear to be going in the opposite direction from Anniston, his school, and even Georgia? I hope it has been confirmed by law enforcement that he did, indeed, spend the night where he said he was, and that has been confirmed by those investigating the case. That would be a big factor, in my opinion at least. There are so many questions here, and I am hoping law enforcement may have information that cannot be released to the public at this time.

Praying for Ben’s safe return to his family.

retrobrooke88

I just wanted to provide the link below, which includes a downloadable poster/flyer of Benjamin Stanford and a couple of links to information about him. There is not a lot of information on this site yet, but a message does indicate there will be more added, at least more links.

Thanks,
retrobrooke88

http://www.eraking.com/index.php?page_id=330

Hello, raindrops300. You are very welcome for the link. It took me several attempts until I found it and I hope it is available online long enough for those who missed it, or are not in this area to see. Yes, I have been amazed at the number of flyers I see everywhere. I am so glad his face and name are out there in so many places for people to see.

I am one that usually pays at the pump because I am always in a hurry! I understand what you are saying, though. If Ben was not in the jeep at that time, the person driving may have been afraid to go inside in case someone might remember what they looked like and reported it to the police. I hope that makes sense. Otherwise, yes, I think they would have purchased more than gas.

My biggest question is, if Ben spent the night in Anniston with a friend, as his mother states in the video and has been repeatedly reported in the news, why was gas purchased in Lincoln, which would appear to be going in the opposite direction from Anniston, his school, and even Georgia? I hope it has been confirmed by law enforcement that he did, indeed, spend the night where he said he was, and that has been confirmed by those investigating the case. That would be a big factor, in my opinion at least. There are so many questions here, and I am hoping law enforcement may have information that cannot be released to the public at this time.

Praying for Ben’s safe return to his family.

retrobrooke88
Hi and welcome, retrobrooke!

This was brought up by a reporter on Greta Van Susteran's show the other night (about going the opposite direction from where the car was found). I remember getting goosebumps and thinking exactly what you wrote. I hope they check this character out that he slept over with.

One thing I haven't heard asked that usually gets asked is "was he the type to just take off" etc etc. Was this young man responsible? Was he under any pressure that might have caused him to run away?

Although it does sound to me like he headed home, got gas and then may have been carjacked. :( I hope not. I hope he's found soon, alive and well.

This was posted in the Talladega newspaper on 11-11-07:

A prayer vigil for Stanford and his family will be held today from noon until midnight in the family chapel at the home of William Killough, located at 570 Lovely Lane in Sylacauga. If Stanford is found before the prayer vigil, it will be cancelled. For any questions concerning this event, Killough can be reached at 256-245-4868.

Directions to prayer vigil: From US 280 in Sylacauga turn onto Coaling Road at Pinecrest School. Go three miles and turn left onto Lovely Lane. Follow the private drive through a gate to the chapel. On US 280, markers stating “PRAYER” will give directions

Nothing new on tonights local news. Still no sign of this young man.

Prayers going up for Ben and his family for word to come, and comfort.

Hi and welcome, retrobrooke!

This was brought up by a reporter on Greta Van Susteran's show the other night (about going the opposite direction from where the car was found). I remember getting goosebumps and thinking exactly what you wrote. I hope they check this character out that he slept over with.

One thing I haven't heard asked that usually gets asked is "was he the type to just take off" etc etc. Was this young man responsible? Was he under any pressure that might have caused him to run away?

Although it does sound to me like he headed home, got gas and then may have been carjacked. :( I hope not. I hope he's found soon, alive and well.

Thank you for the welcome, Taximom, and for the info regarding a reporter asking about this on Greta Van Susteran's show. In my opinion, this is very important if he was absolutely confirmed to have spent the night with a friend.

You are right, I haven't heard any questions asked or any statement made regarding Ben and whether there is any possibility that he might have left on his own. On the video of the very brief interview with his mom, she does say she does not think he had run away. I hope with him missing a week tomorrow, that more news will be available. I feel there are things that have not, or I should say cannot, be reported to the public right now that may be known by law enforcement, but that is just my opinion. I just pray that Ben is safe and returns home soon to his family.

Here is another confirmation of Equusearch organizing a search to be conducted in Villa Rica, Georgia tomorrow, in case the Fox News link does not work or becomes unavailable.

They are seeking between 30-50 individuals with four-wheelers to help with the seach.

http://www.eraking.com/index.php?page_id=330

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back