Identified! AL - Bibb Co, WhtMal UP13483, 14-17, MVA/hitchhiker, tattoo: RY + LOVE Mar'61 - Daniel Armantrout

So, he claimed to be from SC and was possibly Catholic. I found this on Catholic community in SC in the 1950's:
''In 1950 only 96 priests and 230 religious sisters served the 17,508 Catholics in the state, spread across forty-two parishes and twenty-six missions... Most Catholics were concentrated in Charleston and Columbia, the only places with Catholic infrastructures of high schools, hospitals, and other associations necessary for a full Catholic institutional life.''

Minus all the African-American Catholics, that number should be even smaller. So, it's not a large number of people.

Other possibility is that the girl was Catholic and she gave him the medallion.

I just got a YouTube notification for Gray Hughes. It says this Doe has been tentatively identified?! I can't get the video to load right now....

ETA: No offense, not a fan of GH. I have no idea what he's saying here. Hopefully there's a MSM link soon.

Last edited:
Has there been any name announced or any info? I have no idea who Gray Hughes is, is he trustworthy?
He has been working closely with Colleen Fitzpatrick to fund and raise awareness for this case for several months.

Apparently they will "explain the process" on the weekend on the Youtube channel, though I don't think they can release the name yet until it's confirmed.

Last edited:
This is an interesting case and so sad since the boy is easily recognized by his PM pics. I have few thoughts regarding where he may have come from.

First of all, I think he may have told a few fibs to those who picked him up hitchhiking. Saying you ran away because your parent split might have elicited a bit of sympathy from the driver and also be less suspicious of you than if you told them you'd run away from a boy's camp or reform school.

Even though the cigarettes he carried were from SC it is possible he came from the Sheriff's Ranch for boys. I don't know if they would advertise if some of their charges ran away since it'd be bad for business. Maybe the ranch is where the belt buckle comes in, since they were trained to ride horses. The numbering system on the clothes he carried could also refer to being in a dormitory setting like the ranch. Even though posters have commented on the fact they seemed to be heavier fabrics for a warmer climate they could also be the kind of clothes you wore while working in a ranch setting since they'd be pretty sturdy.

Even though he looks quite young I think it is possible he is in the 17 year age range. He seems to have a lot of scars on his body, especially around his legs and ankles. When it was suggested he may have walked with a slight limp, I wonder if the scars had something to do with it.

I also wondered if he was going to enter the military somewhere and that somewhere was on the west coast, maybe in the San Diego area where there are quite a few military bases like Pendleton and Miramar.

I'd like to think if he was going to the west coast to enter the service perhaps he was making his way up to Route 66 which was pretty iconic even then. It would have brought him almost to his destination if a military base was his focus.

If you have been accepted into the military and are expected to show up on a specific date like March 30, would there be records of tentative recruits before they arrived? I entered that date, March 30 1961 in my browser adding recruitment classes Camp Pendleton and it came up in the Marine Review as the following:

"Those accepted for enrollment in technical training courses will be required to complete Individual Combat Training ... will enter the program starting March 2 , 1961 ; three more March 9 ; three on March 23 , and three on March 30 ."

The Reserve Marine

According to the video the “boy” who they think could be him was 14 years old and a runaway. It also seems that the boy wore braces on his leg when he was growing up that he was supposed to have a limp and the scars on. He also had two other siblings don’t know if they are still alive but he was identified by a 2nd cousin on GED Match. According to the video there waiting on the boys birth certificate but sounds like this kid is defiantly Bibb, fingers crossed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back