Found Deceased AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile is surrounded by water, so the best place to hide a car and a body is in the water - preferably deep water at an obscure public boat launch. In other places, it may be easier to set the car on fire with the body in the car.

The other side of this though is that this ramp is in a neighborhood! Not some off the beaten path ramp. It just seems like such a strange location, I really wish we knew more about it (if any "random" connections lived in the area). I am curious if someone lives in that house that's RIGHT up on the boat ramp 365 days a year or if it's a rental/summer house?

Mobile is surrounded by water, so the best place to hide a car and a body is in the water - preferably deep water at an obscure public boat launch. In other places, it may be easier to set the car on fire with the body in the car, or send it over a cliff.
But I still can't find a single incident near Mobile, Alabama where a murder victim was dumped this way. When I Google searched I actually turned up more incidents of accidental drownings after mistaking boat ramps for a road in that area.

I totally respect all of this, and understand it. It's definitely not a simple situation with a clear A to B to C explanation. I didn't mean to insinuate LE wasn't being cautious, just that not every comment has hidden or double meaning, at some points it's just a human in front of microphones and cameras and words can flow that cause issues and confusion. I don't see how the video surveillance or the quotes from the dealership provide any facts on the GPS technology, personally, but I know there is disagreement on that. I think pulling the CCTV was to prevent wild speculation and rumors, the picture was so bad you could almost "see" what you wanted to see and I think it would have caused danger for DW and the investigation (or I at least think LE could see it that way).

But for me it always comes back to how often people mistake boat ramps for roads and how rarely a perp. disposes of a victim in this manner. I actually can only think of Susan Smith killing her sons, and can't find any other incidents on Google even where a body was dumped or murdered via their own vehicle at a boat ramp.

JMO and as always I appreciate the thought provoking discussions with you all here.
My apologies, I wasn’t trying to insinuate! I have unintentionally become emotionally involved in this case and I think my emotions are getting the best of me after yesterday’s news. I may need to just take a breather from this case.

My apologies, I wasn’t trying to insinuate! I have unintentionally become emotionally involved in this case and I think my emotions are getting the best of me after yesterday’s news. I may need to just take a breather from this case.
Absolutely no need to apologize or step away, unless you need to. Your thoughts and comments are very appreciated!

A 24 year old who realizes they don't have their cell phone is going to struggle to function and be in complete panic mode. It was her first day driving (in awhile at least), and her first day driving a new car. She didn't have her phone for GPS or maps, and she may have thought she was following someone and ended up following the wrong car in the wrong direction. I think it is possible the GPS malfunctioned after the car hit the water. I also think she could have accidentally lowered the rear window when trying to escape from the car as it sank. It would have been impossible for her to open her door due to the water pressure and I hit the wrong window button all the time in my car. She had been pregnant and sober for a significant duration and her alcohol tolerance was probably down. I personally do not think she was black out or even necessarily drunk. But we do know she had drank and was probably somewhat impaired, even if minimally.

RS&BBM

The car she was driving was the same year/make/model as the car she had prior to this one, so the driving experience should have been familiar. I could see there being some confusion if this was the first car she ever owned, but if the car is identical to one you drove regularly, I tend to think a person would be comfortable with the location of wipers/cruise/gearshift/etc.

With that said, the second bolded line really jumped out at me and gave me pause (and I actually said "Ooohhh" out loud) -- that could explain completely why she was in that location, and makes the possibility of an accident much more plausible. Once she realized that she had followed the wrong car and now she was going to be late to meet her friends and had no way to contact them, frustration could definitely have contributed to accidentally driving into the water. It really makes sense.

I have to completely disagree here...
First of all, she doesn’t panic and realize that she doesn’t have her phone anywhere near the location of the “accident.” Audio recordings provided information that she was looking for her phone while at the Shell station and is supposedly why she stopped at the Shell station.

While GPS may malfunction when it comes in contact with water, this was not the case in this scenario. Video surveillance corroborated her GPS malfunctioned while in the parking lot at the Shell station.

As for LE, I firmly believe they are being very cautious as to every single word they say to the public regarding this case because they realize it is being scrutinized. This explains the annoying vague terms they are using. They are not in any position to not care if their credibility is damaged. I do not believe anyone has questioned their behavior. The public understands this is an ongoing investigation and specific information can not be stated. However, emphasis has been placed on the lack of transparency regarding release of video surveillance. If there is nothing on CCTV then there would be no reason to have it wiped from the internet.

IMHO...Maybe attempts were made in “fear of safety” as a means to get them to give us some type of update on the case? Maybe we are misinterpreting the vague statements, such as “condition of the car as accidental.” Well hell yeah it was an accident by certain definitions, but what caused the accident?? The body shows “no signs of trauma.” Of course they didn’t specify integrity of the bones. Such as blunt force trauma (like with other decomposed bodies-Terri Sullivan). If they did, they would have to yet again recant a previous statement and say this was a homicide, right?
The vagueness is killing me...I’d prefer they wait and not release preliminary anything. The community has been a frenzy over the last 24hrs over the newly released information. I have faith in our local PD and can only pray they continue to DO THE RIGHT THING.

Get out of my head @Bryant_Denny !!

To me it doesn't add up that this was foul play. Any nefarious scenario would be such a stretch in my mind, whereas accidental drownings in cars occur more than once a day in the US (400 avg. annually).

A 24 year old who realizes they don't have their cell phone is going to struggle to function and be in complete panic mode. It was her first day driving (in awhile at least), and her first day driving a new car. She didn't have her phone for GPS or maps, and she may have thought she was following someone and ended up following the wrong car in the wrong direction. I think it is possible the GPS malfunctioned after the car hit the water. I also think she could have accidentally lowered the rear window when trying to escape from the car as it sank. It would have been impossible for her to open her door due to the water pressure and I hit the wrong window button all the time in my car. She had been pregnant and sober for a significant duration and her alcohol tolerance was probably down. I personally do not think she was black out or even necessarily drunk. But we do know she had drank and was probably somewhat impaired, even if minimally.

Snipped ( a lot) by me.

BBM. That is a logical, real-life scenario that I can definitely see happening. I have done the exact same thing in the past, (followed the wrong car) before cell phones existed. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. The "wrong" car in my case was the same brand/color as my friend's car.

Even while driving in the opposite direction of the planned route, I found myself rationalizing that maybe I misunderstood, maybe we were making an unplanned "pit stop" or maybe I was confused about the best way to get to the destination. By the time I reached the shocking conclusion that my friend was not actually driving the car I was following, I was already so far out of my comfort zone, and so deep into a strange neighborhood, I was close to panic-mode.
MOO and IME, etc.

From a medical perspective, I am having a hard time understanding how it has been determined that she was alive when her car entered the water. If she has been in the water for 9 mths....
There would be nothing but bones...are they making this assumption based on the positioning of the bones?
This is just nuts!!
Even if she was alive when she entered the water that doesn't mean it was an accident or a suicide. Something slipped in her drink that incapacitates her, makes it look like an OD?? IDK time will tell, I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but in this case accident just makes zero sense to me. All of course JMO

My biggest issue with the “following the wrong car” scenario is she was very familiar with the area. There would have been no need for her to follow someone to get to Ollie’s or Hero’s or really wherever they were going. So for those who think that might be the case (it’s totally possible. Sorry if this is coming across as rude?? Don’t mean it that way. I’m loving reading all of these different ideas rather than just the one I’m hell bent on) why would she be following someone, who was she thinking she was following and where did she think they were going? DW to his house???

The women being attacked statement is patently absurd. I grew up in Mobile, come back five times a year, and have numerous female relatives that still live there that I discuss this case with routinely and no one is afraid of a lady killer running amok. (West Mobile near where Danniella lived, there seems to be a bigger problem with fugitives being loose in neighborhoods. That happened twice this year alone.)

I pray this is subterfuge and that they are trying to make suspects think they have moved on. The police can use the press as a tool to do its bidding and they are not obligated to tell the truth.

This police chief is whip smart as far as I can see with previous cases. Very capable and effective. He usually doesn’t say anything and then bam, an arrest out of nowhere. He has deviated off course with this one. I have my suspicions of why.
I am glad you have confidence in the Chief as after his comments the other day I had the sense the case was nowhere and they were getting ready to declare the death a tragic 'accident'. I hope you are correct but I can't say I share any confidence in the MPD Homicide team after what we have seen thus far in this case.

A local recorded themselves driving the route from Hwy 43 to the boat launch:
This video is so helpful to understanding the terrain and neighborhood. Thanks much for posting! Has anyone mapped a possible route from Shell to the boat ramp? Also curious how far this boat ramp is from DW house? Will do a quick check. TT was clear in his comments that there was no reason for DNV to be in this area. Have any of her friends chimed on as to their ideas of why she was in this neighborhood late at night after spending the evening drinking with friends? Don't think you just take a right out of the Shell station and then end up at this boat ramp that happens to be located in a residential area? Makes little sense IMO.

This video is so helpful to understanding the terrain and neighborhood. Thanks much for posting! Has anyone mapped a possible route from Shell to the boat ramp? Also curious how far this boat ramp is from DW house? Will do a quick check. TT was clear in his comments that there was no reason for DNV to be in this area. Have any of her friends chimed on as to their ideas of why she was in this neighborhood late at night after spending the evening drinking with friends? Don't think you just take a right out of the Shell station and then end up at this boat ramp that happens to be located in a residential area? Makes little sense IMO.

Yes, it is a 21-minute drive minimum .. And based on the video there is no way she just accidentally showed up at the boat ramp, she would have to know about it at least. Being from this area I can honestly say it is not a common route.

upload_2019-5-15_20-11-46.png

Here’s the interstate route and one taking the backroads. There are a few other backroads I can think of to get to Saraland. Regardless of the route taken from Mobile to Saraland there are only 2 ways to get to this particular area on Hwy 43, both of which have heard have surveillance cameras.

Attachments

• 96131EBD-5C43-4576-8F98-AB9E1B0737C4.png
    96131EBD-5C43-4576-8F98-AB9E1B0737C4.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 95B9D229-E04D-48F7-8672-D6180BDE9D78.png
    95B9D229-E04D-48F7-8672-D6180BDE9D78.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 5
To me it doesn't add up that this was foul play. Any nefarious scenario would be such a stretch in my mind, whereas accidental drownings in cars occur more than once a day in the US (400 avg. annually).

LE has been so tight lipped. I think people have given them way too much credit as well. I doubt they are scrutinizing every word that they state on this matter as much as everyone here is. Saying there is no woman abductor out there can seem strange to us, but it's extremely common to alert the public on whether or not there is a threat. He may have gone home that night and thought, "man, I should not have worded it like that." We don't know what LE knows, we don't know what DW told them. We don't know anything from them, really. Even if they knew whether it was 2 or 3 cars, and even if they knew every person's identity, and even if they knew whether the timestamps added up, and even if they knew certain things about her impairment levels or mood, this LE dept. was not going to tell us. The public interest seemed to make them want to play things even closer to their chests, IMO. They are under so much scrutiny that their behavior makes sense to me.

IMO it's dark, she's freaking out and feeling naked and alone without her phone, she isn't used to driving, she isn't used to navigating roads, she is at least a little impaired, and once she realizes she's lost she probably starts panicking even more. Just being lost and alone as a young female is scary. She stays on the road and doesn't hit anything, sure. But even perfectly sober, non-panicked people who have their phones accidentally drive down boat ramps sometimes. In the dark it looks just like a road often until it's too late.

JMO

It's really sad to say, but this happens more than we think. Some examples from just the first page of a Google search:
2 women, one pregnant, dead after car drives off boat ramp
Narrows Marina boat launch: Dark, deadly and unregulated
Mystery surrounds woman who drove off Lowry Park boat ramp
Man dies after driving SUV off Port Jeff boat launch (quote from this one: "The incident marks the fifth time someone has driven into the harbor in recent years and the second fatal accident at the boat launch in the past six months." This is just ONE boat ramp!)
Leon County aims to improve boat ramp safety after deadly crash
Motorist sinks car in Lake Ontario after mistaking boat ramp for driveway
https://www.caseyshomolaw.com/womans-death-prompts-fort-lauderdale-boat-ramp-warnings/

Respectfully, while I agree with much of what you've said, I do disagree with some important parts. Mainly, I'm feeling wiggly because IMO only, your stated explanation/argument is begging the question.

Practically speaking, your conclusion and any or all parts of your premise may turn out to be accurate. But from a purely logical standpoint I can't go there with you. For example, you state in various parts of your premise that DNV was: lost, freaking out and in total panic mode without her cell phone, driving for the first time in a while, not used to driving, not used to navigating roads, and realized she was lost.

These things you state aren't givens, to my knowledge. In MOO, that's just too many assumptions. But I respect your opinion and respect that you've considered many aspects of this case. If you drop those assumptions, can you see a possibility of foul play?

I can see a possibility of an accident, of course - although the sheer number of drownings by cars accidentally going in the water doesn't exclude other possibilities or explanations. I am trying to stay clear of Hoyle's Fallacy here...

I do really like your idea about her possibly following the wrong car, and this had not crossed my mind in the slightest before. My only hesitation with that is that I wonder why or if she would have been following anyone at that point. I could be wrong, but wasn't she thought to be headed back to Dublin's to retrieve her phone?

Also, as a local, I can tell you that Ollie's, Dublin's, and even that Shell station are on main roads and easy to find - all in West Mobile, and all accessible without getting on the interstate.

Saraland, on the other hand, is a world away to someone who lives, works, and goes to school in Mobile (with exceptions, of course). It's not convenient to get to and is a much different drive than just tooling around West Mobile. I really don't think she could be drunk enough not to know the difference yet be sober enough to drive.

However, if she thought she was - or if in fact she was - following another car somewhere, then it is possible she knew she wasn't in West Mobile and it was nevertheless her intention to follow the (hypothetical) other car.

In fact, possibly she WAS following another car - not the "wrong" one. Maybe someone (Car #3?) who enticed her to follow but had ill intent?

Anyway, thanks for your post. You made me look at this from some new angles - and that is always helpful. I'd be interested to hear if you can see any possibility of foul play (however low the probability).

All MOO, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member