Found Deceased AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #7

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Jul 21, 2018.

1. mks762

mks762 Well-Known Member

I think there was a lot of $$$$ involved early on. I'm not saying actual money was exchanged I'm just saying I believe that there were some wealthy people tied into this case- whether that be who she was with that night, whose house she was supposedly going to, who a baby was adopted to, who acquaintances were, etc... I think that muddied up the investigation almost immediately (ETA: I honestly don't think any of those wealthy people were directly involved in her death I just think the investigation was not conducted the way it would have been had some of those people not been involved). I will always believe she was murdered, but I also do not think the truth will ever come out. The (social) media circus also buried any truth deep in the mud as well. It's such a shame.

The one bright spot I will always keep in mind is that Danniella's body was found. She was able to be properly laid to rest. That's something that so many families / friends do not get the chance to do with their missing loved ones.

Now that she has been found and supposedly COD has been ruled accidental- seems as though the case is closed, why can't we get a look at that Shell station footage??

2. afitzy

afitzy STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES!

Well said!

Your question about the Shell footage is interesting and I wonder if that too could be gotten via FOIA? If LE fights that request then its just another indication that the entire investigation such as it was is under a cloud IMO. Will have to give this some thought.....

MOO

JenNJ, MimosaMornings, mks762 and 3 others like this.
  3. ChiCubs2016

ChiCubs2016 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Shell footage was removed as LE stated it could cause DNV danger. Well of course that came from. JDT so who knows. But if LE still refuses to release the footage than Something is amiss.
    MOO

JenNJ, MimosaMornings, mks762 and 3 others like this.
  4. mks762

mks762 Well-Known Member

I just emailed one of the reporters listed on the original story that had the Shell station surveillance footage with NBC 15 asking her if she'd send me the footage. If not, I do plan to move forward with a FOIA request. I'll keep yall updated.

5. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

Awesome. Thanks for doing so.

misgrn, MFH, Trinitee and 4 others like this.
  6. 3dzer0

3dzer0 Well-Known Member

Going back and reading some of these posts and something no one has asked about yet (At least I have not seen or heard of) is what about the Toxicology Reports?

I know it was sent off but we have never heard anything about it at all.

It was stated by LE that it may have been an accidental death. To date they have never expanded on that comment nor have they given any official cause of death.

As far as the FOIA request, it is completely possible that Danniella's case is still an open investigation.

misgrn, MFH, cedgison and 4 others like this.
  7. afitzy

@3dzer0, yes it could possibly be an 'open investigation' but sadly reading through the limited Press it seems like the Chief has packed up the files and shipped them off to the archives. All in all about as disappointing an investigation as I have ever witnessed. FOIA will need to cover the Shell video, autopsy, and any associated toxicology testing done as part of post mortem analysis.

I think one of the aspects of this case that I find so profoundly disappointing was the absence of leadership from the Chief on this case and his inability to embrace outside assistance from the FBI and State Crime groups. This insular approach IMO virtually insured the result that was obtained in this case which was absolute failure and no justice for the missing victim and her daughter.

Even if there weren't a 'cover up' by LE and Mobile Police Department, by virtue of their secrecy and hazy strategy, unclear actions and then ultimately total inaction, it appears that there was zero commitment from MPD to solve this case or obtain justice for the missing victim.

IMO if there ever were a case that could be a 'poster case' for the need for a victims rights advocate it would be this DNV case as we saw MPD not secure the missing victims apartment of a crime scene and then allow the Mobile 'family' to ransack her personal effects in a totally shameful manner.

DNV really had nobody in her corner on the ground in Mobile and at the end of the day it simply seemed that MPD didn't have the will or interest to solve the case.

I do think that perhaps Dateline or First 48 returning to Mobile to do a followup might perhaps wake up the Chief and the case Detectives but based on their performance in this case throughout the investigation I'm not confident that much of anything would prompt action from MPD if it meant actually solving the case.

I remain profoundly sad and disappointed that justice in this case IMO was never served and NOT ONCE did we hear anything from the Mayor of Mobile, any State Official of Alabama, no comment from the Governor of Alabama and not a peep from the City of Mobile District Atty's Office. The Chief of Mobile PD never really had much to say about the case either and was so anxious to close the case and chase off the Press that he made a declaration of findings in advance of autopsy results and forensic testing.

One more young female goes missing in Mobile, no suspects, no POI, no information, no substantive investigation, no outside assistance from experts, no closure for daughter and no-one cares.

IMO it was a pathetic display from LE.

MOO

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    MzAlexis, momsof3, G.Keelie and 15 others like this.
  8. insearchoflight

insearchoflight Well-Known Member

Is LE under any responsibility to give the public a detailed report of the decision of cause of death and the evidence that led to it?

I honestly don’t know.

But if LE determined that yes, this was indeed a tragic accident. Case closed. Do they need to tell us why?

9. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

Nope, but then they don't have much reason to deny an FOIA in that case.

10. afitzy

ID Channel segment on DNV case - too many issues to discuss but for those that have been with this case awhile IMO you will know the points where some revisionist history might just be in the making. Curious what folks think about the segment.

momsof3, missingm, misgrn and 7 others like this.
  11. Trinitee

Trinitee aka "BullyBuster"

Wow, seems the story has changed quite a bit!!

misgrn, afitzy and ChiCubs2016 like this.
  12. ChiCubs2016

Wow is right! So many thing left out, changed. No mention for the Shell Video. And it makes it seem like they did not go to the second bar. And of course JDT was pointing her finger in so many directions. I will have to watch again and write down all the discrepancies!! In a few days. Busy with the Holiday. Hopefully other think!!

13. chaste

chaste Member

As a Mobile County native, I can assure you that Alabama does not care about cases that cannot be solved within a few weeks. It’s very sad that we, the citizens have to go without answers to a lot of crime that happens within our city.

misgrn, afitzy, ChiCubs2016 and 4 others like this.
  14. chaste

chaste Member

afitzy likes this.
  15. afitzy

@chaste, its sad to hear such a commentary about Mobile. I'm truly sorry you have to live with not having confidence in the LE in your area and I believe that its a horrible way to live!

If you any any suggestions on how to possibly motivate Mobile LE to comment further on this case, I'd love to hear it as I'm not sure that LE has disclosed all they know about this tragic case.

I've followed missing cases for a very long time and I have to say that this particular case and the way it was handled was unlike anything any other cases I've seen. I could talk endlessly about what I think about the Chief of Police in Mobile and his team of Detectives on this case. There was never a sense of urgency and I'm convinced the only reason the Chief addressed the Public the few times he did was because National Press got involved.

But, I think it was the Chief making comments about the cause of death in advance of forensic testing being done and autopsy being done that really convinced me that there was no way that justice for DNV would ever happen in Mobile. I am usually pro LE and support their efforts but in this case what seemed to happen was something akin to a coverup from Day 1 for reasons we in the public never understood.

MOO

ChiCubs2016, Vail, misgrn and 2 others like this.
  16. chaste

chaste Member

Many cases seems to be paved over like the DNV case. I feel as though the team of detectives in Mobile are not as motivated to take on such cases, and they look for a quick and easy way to tell the public what “apparently” happened to many of the victims of such crimes. This case hits very close to home, being that the bayou DNV was found in, is less than 10 minutes from where I live.

I hope that one day, we will receive the answers we deserve for DNV and all of the other victims whose crimes remain unsolved in our community. I’ve been studying a lot of cases around my area, many of which are missing persons cases. I would like to educate the community on what is happening, and why these things get very little attention.

Also, thank you for your insight on my response, it’s very nice to hear what others think about these topics. ~ Chaste

17. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

18. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

Wow that was bad. Was it narrated by a computer?

Here are the things that stood out:

1. They open on T being a veteran and addict and having PTSD and JDT's claim that DV and T gave up custody of C to them after she was born. There is never any roundabout to why this is relevant.
    2. The assertion is DV didn't know RC's friends and she 'tagged along' to the bar (which they show as being Ollies)
    3. Totally glossed over the story about DM and DV driving to the Shell. Instead, the tale goes she hits up a gas station on the way from Hero's to the first bar(shown as Ollies), THEN notices she lost her phone, and DM goes back with her to Hero's to get it.
    4. DM arrives, she doesn't. As he is looking in the parking lot, the bartender comes out and asks if hes looking for a phone - it was left inside. He takes the phone and waits.
    5. Skip forward to the next morning when T calls her phone from jail and DM answers. T tells DM to call JDT. When he does, JDT tells him to drop the phone off at PF Changs (which he doesn't do). JDT admits to going through the phone DM brings over days later before turning it over to LE. They see the last text was at 8:25pm to one of her girlfriends. "She was saying something about...'I'm happily drinking at a sports bar, should I drive?'
    6. JDT 'remembered' there was a dealer-required GPS and claims they told her it stopped pinging at 11:07pm
    7. DV had been logged into FB on JDT's computer which enabled JDT to check her messanger history. There were two short voice messages capuring DV and a male talking. "They're really hard to listen to - her voice sounds drugged like she could barely talk." JDT turned this info over to LE and was told to stay off DV's facebook (good advice)
    8. There is a shot of an apartment when the narrator notes LE then searched it. This is NOT DV's apartment (probably stock photo)
    9. According to Rachel Wilkerson, who originally posted the surveillance video on FB, the friends and T were cleared by LE early on.
    10. DV's friend Shanna is the one talking about the Shell being out of the way and it being troubling.
    11. Enter Mary, a victims advocate for JDT who is more emotional than anyone else interviewed. Not sure what she had to add
    12. JDT claims she returned to the dealership to get the GPS logs and then learned how easy it would be to disable it intentionally. The documentary is putting this sometime after the Aug 17 presser in their timeline.
    13. Her goals list is now described as being written on a whiteboard. Shanna comments indicate she was part of that apartment search or knew of this firsthand.
    14. According to JDT the last person DV texted was one of her girlfriends, who went to the apartment just days after she disappeared and took things out. According to Mary, "She requested from JDT if she could go to DV's apartment and take some things as a keepsake - it hadn't been 24 hours." JDT says she believes this girl cut pages out of DV's journals which were found missing pages.
    15. There is so much stock footage being used it is difficult to know what is accurate.
    16. The documentary infers the case as still being open and homicide not being ruled out.

There are a few things missing from this that are critical elements of good/effective coverage IMO: comments from LE, investigation into facts, profile of loved one's grief/loss.

If you are drunk enough to drive into Bayou Sara, you’re too drunk to safely make it there all the way from downtown Mobile

ETA: Comments on this segment Investigation Discovery

Also came across DV's case on the unresolved podcast and don't remember seeing it linked before. I don't think there is anything here we don't know but it is a nice researched primer for anyone looking into the case for the first time Danniella Vian — Unresolved (Note that it uses a lot of our work on these threads, including the missing 4 & 5 so should not be taken as facts from a casefile or something)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  19. Claireishere

Claireishere Well-Known Member

First she wasn’t in downtown Mobile she was closer to West Mobile than downtown. Next did they ever establish if she knew anyone in that area? I don’t understand how no one saw it. The area her car was found had a number of houses fairly close by.

MFH, Trinitee and Steph8angels like this.
  20. ChiCubs2016

I have been thinking about Daniella the past few days. Thinking how you go about filing a FOIA and if anyone can do this. I feel like LE made a blanket statement about the manipulations of the car and hoped this case would go away. Which it has. MSM never asked further questions or cared to provide further information.

misgrn, missingm, Trinitee and 2 others like this.