GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Deceased AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #7

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Jul 21, 2018.

1. cedgison

cedgison Well-Known Member

Oh, Attticus, welcome back! You bring up points that I will not refute/address as they've been hashed out quite a bit in previous conversations. However, I will agree that it has not been treated like a normal missing persons case given that MPD has done 0 searches whatsoever.

misgrn and Traymar like this.
  2. theides

theides Well-Known Member

Definitely not normal for a missing persons case in general, but I'd have to say it does seem normal for MPD. I don't think I've ever heard, at least in recent years, of them actively doing a search, covering ground. Ever.

misgrn, Traymar, 3dzer0 and 3 others like this.
  3. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to do a bit of a 'blast from the past' for the folks that missed out on the brilliance of the missing threads when you were our esteemed VI! Ha Ha! I do have to say that over the years I have seen so much brilliant police work on missing cases and so that when I see a case handled as this one seems to have been that it makes me profoundly sad and justice is never served for the victim. I am truly shocked that there hasn't been more of a local outcry about the overall situation. I wouldn't expect much of JDT and the Mobile 'family' as they frankly probably did the best they could and probably didn't have much to offer to the process of finding DNV IMO. Of all the things that I wished for DNV, I think it would have been a solid and stable family unit and strong and supportive friends and family around her to support her through good times and bad. IMO she sadly had none of this and seemed to be on her own. Even the people that were with her the night she disappeared never demonstrated the courage or had the integrity to step out of the shadows and speak about the situation. The fact that the people there with DNV in her last hours never spoke also was a component of this sad story that I will never understand. From your prior perspective as VI did any of this ever make any sense? I've said now at least 3 times in various posts that I am still absolutely baffled by this case.

4. insearchoflight

insearchoflight Well-Known Member

Truly baffling beyond belief.

So on the day you got your new car, the GPS mysteriously malfunctions right as CCTV catches your car on film (which LE later pulls from the public for safety), then you accidentally drive into a body of water and die.

I mean this is crazy.

5. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

Yes. And the only reason you are found is that MPD was doing a training exercise in the bayou where you happened to drive your car into in the middle of the night after being out with friends for drinks and dinner!

6. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

For what its worth @cedgison I'm not sure we will ever agree on much on this case and we certainly have differed in the past but I guess we do agree that what the Chief said in one of the first press conferences about this not being a 'typical' missing case is true! So, there is some common ground which is good after all this time!! But I do have to say that what makes WS interesting to me is that there are so many different ideas and POV and that its ok to not have to agree all the time and that we all simply keep it moving or 'scroll and roll'. Will continue to follow the comments of @cedgison closely on this case.

7. Xina_Marie

Xina_Marie Well-Known Member

Okie doke. Here are my speculations, observations, opinions and more questions based on being born and raised in Mobile, educated in private schools and living there until I was 21, returning multiple times a year, and having most of my family still living there...

1. I do not know who stated that DW is Old Mobile. I do not recall of it was stated as fact or opinion. From what I can discern DW is not Old Mobile. And neither is his wife/partner. Having money does not make you OM. Being on boards of directors does not make you OM. Being in any old Mardi Gras society does not make you OM. Living on the river and having a boat does not make you OM.

OM is a pedigree and lineage that goes back many, many, many generations. Some signs if he is OM: working as an officer (President, CEO, VP, Owner) in the well-established multi-generational family business, has buildings or parks named after a family member, going to specific schools, having sisters that are debutantes, marrying someone who was a debutante, being a member of a particular Mardi Gras society that you must be born into and you cannot buy your way into. I see no signs of this. If anyone wants to set me straight, please do.

2. My father seems to think that being Old Mobile will not keep you from being arrested, but perhaps the amount of I dotting and t crossing and overwhelming evidence better be there to prove the case in a court of law because OM would be able to buy the best lawyer in the state to get them off. And that lawyer will have connections to OM.

In conclusion, based on what facts I think I know, I do not see this police chief as engaging in anything like a cover up. I think that the CCTV footage led to the identification of a suspect and now they are building a case in radio silence, as is the MO of this police chief in every other high profile case we have seen with him.

Thanks for listening.

8. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this insight into a place that is not home for most of us following this sad and baffling case.

On your 1. point I might have some insight for what its worth. Sometimes it seems like people view others in comparison only to themselves without putting the other person being judged into a larger picture. From what I recall in this case very early on some of the local people involved looked at the group DNV was with the night she disappeared and also at the friends of some of these people and determined that 'Old Mobile' was involved and was being protected. I'm not from Mobile but from a place where there is an equivalent to what you describe as 'Old Mobile' and I think many places are similar in my experience. I also never discounted the idea that locals when in doubt use the fallback to blame 'Old Mobile' for all their ills or at least things they don't understand or can't explain.

I agree completely with your assessment about DW and my sense is that he simply had more money and connections via USA than the people he was being judged by early on in this case and so by default he became 'Old Mobile'. To me he was just a typical middle manager with a house and mortage payment and relationship issues! MK is less clear to me than DW but I'm not sure how important she is to this case either? But again we have zero information from MPD on any of these people that seemed to be in DNVs life the night she disappeared. IMO there could be so many other people involved in what happened other than the obvious group around DNV early the evening she disappeared. Because we have no official timeline from MPD and because there is no CCTV from the Shell, we don't know exactly who else was with DNV the night she went missing. We have a black hole in the timeline from the Shell station to Saraland. Actually the black hole starts sooner as we have no idea other than speculation as to why DW and DNW were even in the area of the Shell station. The last thing that MPD said I believe is that DNV was seen 'in the area of the Shell station'.

Anyway, after some investigating I came to the same conclusion that you did that 'Old Mobile' wasn't obviously visible on the surface of this case. Below the surface of this case, however, could be an entirely different situation and sadly we have no information on this. MPD made no announcement about the people DNV was with the night she went missing. The people DNV was with that night were 'outed' by JDT so far as I can tell in a local paper so we have some details about the group. Some that have followed the case know more about the group than others. At a certain point I gave up following the JDT commentary as it seemed a distraction from what was important and she seemed incapable of repeating the same story twice so in my mind lost credibility. Her agenda so far as I could tell was simply to protect her son and her family and CT custody IMO. But I do think JDT looked at the folks DNV was with the night she disappeared with great suspicion. But I also think JDT looked at these people only in comparison to herself and her position in Mobile and this resulted in a whole series of assumptions that probably weren't helpful in moving the case forward and finding DNV IMO. To this day I wonder how much did JDT really find out about the night DNV went missing? My suspicion is probably not much more than we know but perhaps I'm incorrect.

We do know DNV had a second child, we have speculation as to the baby daddy and family but again no facts or information from LE or MSM so far as I can tell. Could the baby daddy have been from 'Old Mobile'? Was the baby daddy even clued into the adoption process? Did his family know that their grandchild had been given up for adoption? The possiblities for angry and irrational behavior are virtually endless when an infant is involved IMO. Could this be the 'Old Mobile' connection? Sadly yet again we don't know.

We can debate for another 3 threads on whether there was or was not a Car 3 at the Shell station so we don't know exactly how many people were with DNV at the Shell station on the night she went missing. Could the 'Old Mobile' connection that has hung over this case have been at the Shell station that night with DNV? We simply don't know.

I'm glad you have confidence and/or your family has confidence in the Chief and his past accomplishments. Maybe he will surprise me but I lost the faith on the Chief after the second press conference and my view of the MPD has simply gone down hill from that time. But, we can all just hope that MPD does put a timeline together for CT and even if it is just shared with CT privately in the future that would be a good thing IMO.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Old Mobile sounds a lot like Old Charlotte.

ChiCubs2016 and afitzy like this.
  10. Xina_Marie

You have hit the nail on the head 100%. If there is OM involved, it is not DW. It is entirely possible for you to live in Mobile and never encounter any of these mysterious OM people. They run in entirely different social and business circles than most. My father said he would be surprised if an OM person was hanging out socially with a bunch of people in the service industry at dives in West Mobile. A lot of OM don't actually live in Mobile anymore. They work in Mobile and have interests in Mobile, but live in Baldwin County across the bay. Oh yeah another OM trait is that their family owns "a camp" on the bay on the Eastern shore and it is worth more most people's primary residence in the city.

I chalked up JT's various stories and iterations of the truth to something more nefarious, but I think there may be some truth to your more generous interpretation of her motivations.

11. cedgison

cedgison Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what I would post at this point that you could differ with. I’m not VI and haven’t had “inside info” since November.

12. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you about the JDT motivations in all this. MOO one way or another whatever happened ties back to her directly, TT or someone in her extended clan. IMO had I been Chief for a day in Mobile one of my first acts would have been to arrest her, TT and anyone involved with what happened to DNV apartment as I believe that what they did was obstruction and tampering with evidence. For a group of people that in so many interviews talk about "God" and "faith" I'm honestly not sure how they can either sleep at night or live with themselves in terms of how they conducted themselves both pre DNV disappearance and Post DNV disappearance. Strong words but the circle of violence that surrounded DNV and most likely JDT herself was plain and evident and the fact that CT is growing up within this circle of violence is something that I will never understand why it is allowed to happen. We had commentary from friends about ongoing relationship violence that DNV was fearful of and then we had the JCD drama and all that disclosure of extreme violence and torture. We never heard from MPD about the connection between JCD and DNV but rumors of a relationship were there and both JDT and TT were aware of the situation. I could go on and on but rest assured I am in no way giving any of the Mobile 'family' a pass in this. Even if they were not directly involved in anything having to do with the disappearance based on what we learned throughout this case they were no 'family' and certainly not 'friend' in the true sense of the word to DNV. I was trying to be generous to JDT but I agree now with your assessment that I was perhaps a bit too kind and IMO she is simply not deserving of the benefit of the doubt based on all that she did to hinder this investigation. MOO completely!

13. deadfoot13

deadfoot13 Active Member

I'm going to say yes to this, barring the pressure from submersion in water. Not a proud moment for me, but the last time I was "hammered" (in 1993), it involved a 12-pack of St. Pauli Girl and 6+ shots of tequila, after which I punched out my own car windshield. At that time I was 25 years old, 5'8" and weighed 110. The car was a Plymouth Horizon, so smaller than a Chevy Cruze, but not by a whole lot. So yes, IMO, even if DV was at the point of being staggering drunk, I think she would have been physically able to kick out a window, unless perhaps she had hit her head and was stunned. I would also think that if she were conscious, she would begin to panic fairly quickly and that rush of adrenaline would give the extra strength needed to push a windshield or side window out with her feet if the car wasn't yet submerged.

14. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

Makes sense. But as others have pointed out its puzzling to figure out what might have happend by the way the DNV car looked when it was pulled from the bayou. I'm going to go back and look at the Cruze interior as some smaller cars are designed in such a way to make it tough to get from the front seats to the back. But I also wonder like you do whether she experienced some whiplash and hit her head when the car went into the water? Maybe if she hit her head and was stunned for a bit that might have been enough time to make it impossible for her to escape. IDK, I'm just looking at possibilities to explain why the car looked the way it did when it was towed.

15. theides

theides Well-Known Member

On the Old Mobile topic: Old Mobile, IMO, is more about names than anything else. Yes, they generally have money, and yes, they generally are in the Mardi Gras organizations, but it's really about their names: Ladd, Peebles, Van Antwerp. The same names you see on buildings and streets around Mobile.

16. Xina_Marie

I was trying to keep it simple. Many OM people don't have money anymore but they still have the name recognition. My only point was that by no definition does DW fit the profile. From what I can find, he didn't even grow up in Mobile. If people think he is getting a pass for this reason, he is not.

17. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

Where are the details RE: DNV & her car- it was said damage was done getting the car out
    Been said that the back window was open
    Been said there is evidence she was alive when car went into water
    Is there a comprehensive document to see these things as facts -?
    Number one: if she were alive: no seatbelt would be clicked in place she’d be trying to scramble out
    I would expect to try to get out in back window- the boat ramp is an incline: you see that water coming up- you may try to move backwards.
    Do our modern cars electric system go kaput in water - no way to roll down the windows-?....another reason I hate our ‘modern’ techie too-smart-for-you world that gets us killed when we are not allowed to use our own volition.
    Also: unless the evidence is strong that she was alive: no reason to assume it was THAT NIGHT of her disappearance that the car was rolled on into the water with her inside. (Well sadly she could have still been alive but guaranteed no exit)
    TIA & JMO

mks762 and ChiCubs2016 like this.
  18. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

Regarding the damage: Found Deceased - AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #6

Not sure about evidence she was alive or how the window was down - this is the news coverage related to that:
    Police: Danniella Vian death likely an accident
    Accident suspected as cause of death of body found in Danniella Vian’s car
    and yet Who Killed Danniella Vian? New Details On The Unsolved Case Of The Alabama Mom Found Dead Submerged In Car

I agree - if she was conscious, I'd expect the seat belts to be clicked off and if the car was alrdy nose-down, the back window being down could be a clue or indication she tried to escape. The thing is, it was down far enough for her to have succeeded. I have the same questions about you as to safety overrides. I know there is an active proposal for a safety system to be put into car manufacturing in the near future that is specific to submersion but have no idea what her 2014 car had available.

I think often of what clear indication they could have that she drover herself in versus someone else putting her in. They can't determine her cause of death, so they really have no way of knowing she died in the car afterwards unless there is some kind of physical proof.

I do think she could kick out a window or a windshield. I think she could have exited the car before it went under, actually, if she was conscious. The way the boat ramp is positioned and marked etc, its not like a short little driveway that disappears into a river - it requires a mindful left or right turn on a street where she probably wasn't going over 15mph, having just made another turn. I am curious to know if her car had automatic emergency breaking, and if the airbags were deployed to indicate she actually collided (didn't look like it in the photos).

Hey @afitzy you were asking about motive, and I'm with you that custody is the #1 obvious one. The journal. The new job. The car. The jailed ex. The impending custody hearing.

To venture on from there, I'd say TT-related, either via direct violence or related to his drug use/dealing. It is troubling that she had publicly stated she would rat out his friends if she caught them using or dealing around her or her daughter.

DW is also an obvious suspect simply because of circumstances, but I can't work out a motive other than sexual. I also can't see him disposing of her in Saraland. I suppose we'd have to do some deep digging on that block or two to see if there are any connections to him. We already know there is a connection to JDT (and by proxy, potentially TT)

I am also glad you brought up JCD. I don't think that should be ignored.

But we also should not discount that she very well could have, perplexedly, driven into the bayou and then somehow, incredibly unluckily, failed to save herself. While I can't fathom why she would be going there before meeting up or getting her phone, or how she could have gotten so lost, she may have been too drunk to drive, inexperienced and overzealous as she explored the area with her new wheels. I really hope someday we find out.

19. Bryant_Denny

Bryant_Denny Well-Known Member

I wonder what JV knows? What DNV May have told her in the weeks/days prior to her moving back home for that short lived period of 2 weeks. I wonder what she may have confided in her bio mom? From what I’ve read in various groups it seems as though some are saying she has zero credibility. Is this true, or only true from TT and the Thomas family’s perspective? I read where a news anchor said specifically that they were asked NOT to interview her. That’s pretty sketchy, makes me think she will sing like a bird and potentially unleash some information that could be quite damaging. This may have been talked about in a previous thread before I became more involved with this case.

Someone also made a comment that even though she (DNV) had full custody of CT, she was unaware. Which possibly explains why she did not take her with her. IIRC someone mentioned it was because DNV didn’t want her daughter anywhere near JV, but is that true or does that make the more obvious clear?

So she moves back to Mobile still pregnant, gets her own apartment and starts planning her future. Has the baby and not long after vanishes only to be found submerged in her vehicle, dead. She displayed ZERO signs of suicidial ideation.

Traymar, MzAlexis, rtothee and 3 others like this.
  20. Bryant_Denny

Bryant_Denny Well-Known Member

I read somewhere recently that JDT left out a lot of information when initially giving information to MPD. One topic was that of DNV recently giving birth and giving the baby up for adoption. Why though? Has anyone thought of why?

misgrn and ChiCubs2016 like this.