AL AL - Diane Leigh Avera, 22, Mount Vernon, 28 May 1982

@amandaleigh2012 I am so sorry to hear about your missing aunt and how horrible the situation has been handled by the hospital designated to care for her. I was wondering if your aunt had an accent of any sort? Did she have ties to Louisiana? Again, I am so sorry for what your family has been through.

@amandaleigh2012 I am so sorry to hear about your missing aunt and how horrible the situation has been handled by the hospital designated to care for her. I was wondering if your aunt had an accent of any sort? Did she have ties to Louisiana? Again, I am so sorry for what your family has been through.
Thank you. There are ties to Louisiana and she most likely had an accent. Not a strong Louisiana accent but a southern accent.

Thank you. There are ties to Louisiana and she most likely had an accent. Not a strong Louisiana accent but a southern accent.
Did she ever use the name "Donna" or hitchhike? I know that was a common practice back during the 80's.
Also, any ties in the family to Las Vegas? Thank you for responding!

Did she ever use the name "Donna" or hitchhike? I know that was a common practice back during the 80's.
Also, any ties in the family to Las Vegas? Thank you for responding!
As far as I know, she didn't go by Donna, but I'm not 100% certain on that. She has hitchhiked before. And no ties to Las Vegas that I'm aware of.

The last time she was seen by family was May of 1982. As far as anyone can remember, no one seen her after she was sent back to the hospital. The hospital said she escaped in August of 82
Hello sorry to greet you in these circumstances, I do know that one of the unfortunate things about dealing with schizophrenia is that the disorder makes the person very unpredictable. Hitchhiking is not a leap for someone with schizophrenia, I also know that mental hospitals are notorious for being abusive to their patients. I say that to say don't real out foul play, but I also encourage your family to consider the hitchhiking theory. I am actively working on a podcast that shines light on missing people and your aunt's case is one that has me puzzled. I have ran my head into a wall with my theories, once I have edited the podcast I will upload a link here so that you all may take a listen.

Hello sorry to greet you in these circumstances, I do know that one of the unfortunate things about dealing with schizophrenia is that the disorder makes the person very unpredictable. Hitchhiking is not a leap for someone with schizophrenia, I also know that mental hospitals are notorious for being abusive to their patients. I say that to say don't real out foul play, but I also encourage your family to consider the hitchhiking theory. I am actively working on a podcast that shines light on missing people and your aunt's case is one that has me puzzled. I have ran my head into a wall with my theories, once I have edited the podcast I will upload a link here so that you all may take a listen.
Thank you for that! Any exposure we get for Aunt Diana is so helpful. I would love to listen. We have not ruled out either of those theories. This hospital was notorious for abuse of patients. They also had their own police force and cemeteries. The graves are marked with patient numbers instead of names. It’s so sad.

I’ve recently created a Facebook group to kind of centralize info and get the word out. Here’s the link:

I plan to most more letters soon.

I’ve recently created a Facebook group to kind of centralize info and get the word out. Here’s the link:

I plan to most more letters soon.
Thank you for sharing the FB group with us. It's nice to see more pictures of your Aunt. I did submit her for a potential match to NamUs# UP1272 a few months ago but I have not heard back yet. They have some similarities & per Doe Network, UP1272 does not have DNA available so I'm not sure she has been ruled out yet.

The Vanished Podcast just released an episode about Diana's disappearance.
@amandaleigh2012 I am so glad you are getting your Aunt's story out there. The Vanished Podcast is my favorite podcast that covers missing persons.

<iframe src="Diana Avera" style="width: 100%; height: 200px; border: 0 none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

1692617857839.png
In the spring of 1982, 22-year-old Diana Avera was sent to Searcy Hospital, a mental health facility in southern Alabama. Diana was arrested for disorderly conduct in Foley, Alabama, where she lived. The details of her arrest are unknown because we only truly know what happened after her arrest. Diana had several mental health diagnoses, and the decision was made to send her to the mental health facility. Just three months later, around the beginning of August 1982, Diana allegedly escaped from the hospital and was never seen again. But is that really what happened 40 years ago in a case shrouded in secrets, abusive hospital practices, and unanswered questions?

If you have any information about Diana’s disappearance, please call the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office at 251-581-1181.

@amandaleigh2012 I am so glad you are getting your Aunt's story out there. The Vanished Podcast is my favorite podcast that covers missing persons.

<iframe src="Diana Avera" style="width: 100%; height: 200px; border: 0 none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

View attachment 442149
In the spring of 1982, 22-year-old Diana Avera was sent to Searcy Hospital, a mental health facility in southern Alabama. Diana was arrested for disorderly conduct in Foley, Alabama, where she lived. The details of her arrest are unknown because we only truly know what happened after her arrest. Diana had several mental health diagnoses, and the decision was made to send her to the mental health facility. Just three months later, around the beginning of August 1982, Diana allegedly escaped from the hospital and was never seen again. But is that really what happened 40 years ago in a case shrouded in secrets, abusive hospital practices, and unanswered questions?

If you have any information about Diana’s disappearance, please call the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office at 251-581-1181.
I just saw this on my new episode list! So glad you were able to help get her story out there & so quickly. Listening to it now!

View attachment 442149

thank you so much for sharing!

I just listened to the Vanished podcast episode yesterday. It's worth a listen, and I feel empathy for the family. I listened to the podcast yesterday, and then went to look at the photographs posted online in the Facebook group.

The photographs of Diana immediately reminded me of a photograph of a Jane Doe from Mississippi in the 1980's. About eight years ago, I had looked at the photograph of the unidentified Jane Doe over and over again while looking at missing person cases from the 1980's and never spotted a missing person who I suspected could her identity. This time I think there's a strong possibility that it could be Diana Avera. I've called and emailed a Sheriff's Office in Mississippi, and I will do it again in a few days if I do not hear back.

I hope that the disappearance of Diana Avera can be resolved soon.

I just listened to the Vanished podcast episode yesterday. It's worth a listen, and I feel empathy for the family. I listened to the podcast yesterday, and then went to look at the photographs posted online in the Facebook group.

The photographs of Diana immediately reminded me of a photograph of a Jane Doe from Mississippi in the 1980's. About eight years ago, I had looked at the photograph of the unidentified Jane Doe over and over again while looking at missing person cases from the 1980's and never spotted a missing person who I suspected could her identity. This time I think there's a strong possibility that it could be Diana Avera. I've called and emailed a Sheriff's Office in Mississippi, and I will do it again in a few days if I do not hear back.

I hope that the disappearance of Diana Avera can be resolved soon.
Thank you so much for taking the time to call Mississippi. We did get a new primary detective assigned to the case and he is reaching out to them as well. If I hear any news I will keep everyone updated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back