Found Deceased AL - Garrett Walker, 20, left bar, University of Alabama student, Tuscaloosa, 6 Nov 2021

I'm wondering how sure the witness is who says she saw him at 4:30 a.m.
Me, too….I think the witness statement was that he saw him near 17th Ave. It makes more sense, if the account is true, that this is near the Queen City Park, not necessarily Queen City Avenue as both avenues run parallel…they do not intersect.
ALGO has many traffic cameras stationed throughout Tuscaloosa- many along his path. Hopefully, TPD and UAPD have scanned the camera history to see if he may be spotted. There are some businesses that may also have camera security feeds if the authorities can get them before each has looped.

6FE6EE30-11A2-41B0-BBD9-190C06BB935C.jpeg

Here is a screenshot of the area using the ALGO app. One may see the cameras indicted with a camera icon. The Grey Lady (in red) is located top left, 17th Avenue (in magenta) is just on the southern tip of Queen City Park, and his residence is in Wesley Place (in blue), just off of 15th Street (in green).

Yikes- clothing found in the river?? Doesn’t sound good-
I wish we could stop these young men and women from leaving bars or parties alone! Always go with someone…that’s what I am trying to instill in my own kids. Maybe if they hear it enough it will come to their mind once they’re out on their own.
Prayers to this family…

Is this a place a person who has been drinking might decide to go for a swim at night? Could he have placed his phone and his coat (or whatever, I don't know which clothes were found or how the phone looked when found, placed carefully somewhere away from the water or dropped accidentally close to the river?) to go into the river for a night-time "dip" under the stars?
(I realize the water was probably very cold.)

I'm just trying to figure out if he fell into the river accidentally, why his phone didn't go in with him. No matter how, it sounds like a true accident at this time.
Poor guy. :(

My heart goes out to his parents and other relatives .

I live in Alabama - still don't understand the intoxicated male/water connection. And it happens ALL THE TIME.
Yes. It happens ALL THE TIME, and it's only college age boys. You'd think if falling in the river were a common thing for drunk people, you'd find a lot more variety in demographic than just college age boys.

This also seems to happen during the cold months, when a recreational swim by moonlight would be unthinkable.

Is this a place a person who has been drinking might decide to go for a swim at night? Could he have placed his phone and his coat (or whatever, I don't know which clothes were found or how the phone looked when found, placed carefully somewhere away from the water or dropped accidentally close to the river?) to go into the river for a night-time "dip" under the stars?
(I realize the water was probably very cold.)

I'm just trying to figure out if he fell into the river accidentally, why his phone didn't go in with him. No matter how, it sounds like a true accident at this time.
Poor guy. :(

My heart goes out to his parents and other relatives .

It was pretty cold late Saturday into Sunday morning in Tuscaloosa. No sober-minded person would have gone for a swim, especially in the Black Warrior River.

So… unless they are right under the bridge where Lurleen Wallace crosses the Black Warrior, I could see absolutely no search activity east or west as far as I could see up the river. The river walk has been a work in progress over the years. It started out as a rough rest area where drugs deals and prostitution were rampant. UA bought it a few years back and have, in conjunction with the city, worked hard to make it an asset to Tuscaloosa and I feel they succeeded. I would (and have) felt completely comfortable going there alone during the day. It’s a long paved walk/run path with playgrounds along the way. Lots of people take professional pictures on or near the multiple bridges that cross as it runs parallel to the river. It ranges from large drop offs to completely flat areas you can walk down to the river’s edge. The Black Warrior is deep, swift, and dangerous. I’ve got a meeting at 11:30 on 8th St so I’ll ride down by the river afterwards and see what I can find out.

Yes. It happens ALL THE TIME, and it's only college age boys. You'd think if falling in the river were a common thing for drunk people, you'd find a lot more variety in demographic than just college age boys.

This also seems to happen during the cold months, when a recreational swim by moonlight would be unthinkable.
Not trying to be argumentative but it is not just college aged boys. It is also autistic boys, and a lot of the other autistic people, including adults and children, male and female. And even sometimes neurotypicals (adults & children).
m()()

Not trying to be argumentative but it is not just college aged boys. It is also autistic boys, and a lot of the other autistic people, including adults and children, male and female. And even sometimes neurotypicals (adults & children).
m()()
Yes, you're right.

But I'm not talking about overall drownings. I should have been more specific. Of people who leave bars in the wee hours intoxicated, and are missing after that situation, it seems only young college age males are the ones who end up in the river after encountering a river on their path home. Or in some cases, the river was miles and miles away. And yet, they still end up in the river. Ruled accidental drowning.

Among neurotypical people who are capable of caring for themselves, it seems only young college age men end up in the river in the wee hours walking home.

Ok… I’m down here at the search and rescue command center. It’s by the old Bama Belle dock. Lots of his friends here, camera crews, family. I’m about to walk as close as they will let me

qmcb87B

5hf6nQx

6DbKnJW

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads