AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

STORMONSTER:

All good points.
Northport is full of woods..is rural.......she's probably there somewhere.....

Some additional points:

The mother told us that the morning Shae came up missing that when her alarm went off she (the mother) turned the alarm off and went back to sleep. She never saw Shae that morning.
Shae apparently had a stomach ache the previous night and also was upset with her step father for not being at a party. She went to bed early that night.
Her and her 13 year old sister used to fight over the remote, Alex wanted to watch CMT (Country Music Television) and Shae BET (Black Entertainment Television) seems they had normal differences.
The 16 year old brother didn't live at the same home because of his bad relationship with the step father. Step father was arrested for child abuse against the brother the previous year.
??? Did the sister actually see Shae that morning? The mother didn't.......he says he left about 6 minutes after her to pick her and her sister up because it was going to rain???

Johnny,

You said exactly what I was thinking.
Was she really seen that morning?

Also the mother and step father had a discussion about Shae having cramps

Her last night at home

Two nights after that was Shae’s last night at home. She had returned from school that day, went straight to her room and finished her homework, Thompson said. She came back into the living room at 5:30 or 6 p.m. and fell asleep, he said.

Thompson said that he and Alex locked up the trailer and left Shae sleeping inside while they picked Beth up from work at Partlow. She didn’t wake until they returned home, he said, and she skipped dinner, complaining of an upset stomach. Lowery and Thompson were worried that it might be Shae’s first bout with menstrual cramps, he said.

Shae woke the next morning feeling fine, Thompson said. Her parents said she chose a hot pink shirt with matching capri pants and her new light blue suede tennis shoes, her favorites, to wear on an overcast Tuesday morning. This would be the outfit described on the thousands of fliers distributed since that morning.

Also the quote's ...Kevin saying "There wasn't a place she hasn't been with me"
'Recently she was beginning to behave more like a teenager"
"Shae was eager to begin her adolescence"

“She had just started shaving her legs ' on the sly. She’d come in and I could see where her legs had been bleeding,"

AMBER alert was needed for Ross

Carl E. Lett III
Northport
September 16, 2003

Email this story.

• Discuss this story

Dear Editor: In The Tuscaloosa News for Sept. 2, the following reason was given for neglecting to issue an AMBER alert concerning the disappearance of Heaven LaShae Ross: “For an AMBER Alert to be issued in Alabama, the child must be younger than 16, and police must have evidence that the child was kidnapped, is in danger and be able to provide a description of the abductor."

This prompts me to ask two questions: When an 11-year-old child disappears from a bus stop, doesn’t show up to school that day and isn’t known to be with anyone whom her family would consider “safe," would it not be correct to assume that she is, in fact, endangered?

When a person is kidnapped, isn’t it obvious that the abductor would make all possible attempts to remain hidden and unidentified?

I take pride in the fact that I live in a community that bands together in times of despair to aid total strangers in any way that they can. It’s ridiculous, however, that our state fails to issue AMBER alerts unless the abductor is a monument to ineptitude and actually snatches a child during broad daylight in front of a crowd.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit. ' Cicero

JOHNNY:

Interesting letter from Mr. Lett. However, aren't there some discrepancies now about when she was or was not last seen? And on what day?

I'll bet the police are watching Thompson like a hawk...it's all very weird. You know she was probably being sexually abused by that man. Maybe she ran away.

It would be interesting to hear what the 16 year-old brother has to say about him.....

People seem to get offended when they are questioned like they may be a suspect...I'm offended when they don't question everyone .....down to the postman, family, volunteers, pizza delivery men, and websleuthies......
until the missing person is found everyone is of "a person of interest"

JOHNNY:

You are right.....everyone is suspect. I don't think the brother has anything to do with it, though.

I don't like the very personal things that Thompson seems to know about her and is so free and easy with the information. It's not so innocent I don't think.

Me personally, thats a mother thing, not something to just be talking about, and if you are going to talk about it, it seems the daughter would be the one being asked and instructed how to deal with her cramps, Not the stepfather.

JOHNNY:

You are absolutely right. And actually, he really isn't her stepfather in the strictest sense. Her mother and he are in a common- law marriage.

After watching a program last night "New Detectives" I heard them use the term "significant other" when referencing the boyfriend or girlfriend.

Johnny, points well taken. I missed the child abuse charges and the statements about her adolesence. Just a tad weird.

About her being seen, is the neighbor that saw her considered reliable?

Admittedly not a wholesome situation but under normal (child not missing circumstances) it would be viewed as such but not an indication of sexual abuse.

On an unsavory note, could the cramps have been indications of abuse in one way or another that would bring such to light? Could be motive huh?

I also don't think the brother was involved. I did consider him hiding her if abuse was involved, but again where was the opportunity?

I also don't believe the brother was involved, as he didn't live in the trailer with his sisters and because of the poor relationship with Kevin. Also I agree about the normal....

As far as "could the cramps have been indications of abuse in one way or another" I'm not sure about such matters?

JOHNNY: Maybe she had been molested and was bleeding and hurting.........

That was kind of what I was thinking. Maybe she was getting old enough that someone would be worried that abuse would become obvious ... std's or pregnancy can both cause cramping. I hate think that way but if abuse was involved it could explain somethings.

I still hate to think that at all. I'm hoping that he was just making those references because he was sincere in finding her abductor and putting forth theories that were plausible and her growing into a young woman could support the theory that she was taken for awful reasons. He could not possibly know how things sound, guilty or not.

STORMONSTER:

I know how you feel but there have been things he has said and done which are red-flag in-appropriate I think. Maybe someone has helped her run away.

According to Northport police the mother Beth Lowery was asked for permission to adminster lie detector tests on her other two children 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter. Beth Lowery denied permission stating that they had been through enough.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back