AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by bessie, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

3 Men and a Mystery are going to have a live on this case today at 10:00 AM PST. It will be on Gray's YouTube channel

Gray Hughes Investigates

2. CuriousD

CuriousD Active Member

It sounded like they told him that they wanted to see about a family tree that they were looking at when they asked for his DNA the first time.

3. Crazy Mama

Crazy Mama Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you for that link. Amazing.

Bit Analyzer, Andreee and Gardenista like this.
  4. somequestions

somequestions Well-Known Member

I am starting to think the police do not have much more than DNA evidence to associate the suspect in this case with the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. If police had a 25 hour interrogation with the suspect, why would they not tell him the evidence? And yet he still pled not guilty. I can understand why they would not tell the general public. Still that DNA evidence is very persuasive in court when explained properly about how it was obtained and verified. This is a strong case if the DNA evidence is correct. Both girls provided evidence. J.B. Beasley had the physical evidence and Tracie Hawlett provided the circumstantial evidence concerning their location that night. Tracie also stated what their intentions were in a conversation with her mother.

So the question remains. It is the main question I am interested in. After J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett left the Big Little gas station on the night of July 31, 1999, where did they go next that ended up being the place they met their killer?

crhedBngr, Bit Analyzer and Blacklist like this.
  5. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

6. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Setting Date: Wednesday May 29, 2019
    Time: 2pm

26-DC-2019-000216.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
    26-DC-2019-000217.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
    26-DC-2019-000218.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
    26-DC-2019-000219.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
    26-DC-2019-000220.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

crhedBngr, Traymar, shark315 and 2 others like this.
  7. Andreee

Andreee Well-Known Member

Link to a UT follow-up look by John Lordan about Coley McCraney's defense strategy.

8. Blacklist

Blacklist Active Member

Please expand to read full post.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  9. Andreee

Mainstream media WDHN (an ABC affiliate) is the one who tweeted re. preliminary court hearing
    'So key takeaways from today’s hearing: — McCraney has previously been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and assault of a child under the age of 16. Law enforcement contended that the weapon in question, a 9 mm Hi-Point pistol, belonged to him.'

10. Blacklist

Blacklist Active Member

Thank you. I could not find anything criminal on the courtnet. But I only checked Harrison county. Nothing on PACER except a bankruptcy.

Suglo likes this.
  11. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Wednesday, May 29th:
    *Bond Review Hearing (@ 2pm ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
    Dale County #26-DC-2019-000215 to 220.00
    Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
    4/3/19 Update: Dale County judge has found probable cause to bound the murder case against McCraney to a grand jury on June 6.
    5/7/19 Update: Bond hearing was set on 5/22, but DA will be out of town. Rescheduled for 5/29.

12. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

I can't wait until this goes to trial.

This was one case I doubt would have ever been solved.

I still don't understand HOW they got so lost since the directions to the party were crystal clear.

13. Andreee

I do understand completely. In the dark, and in a rural area, also I've read there were confusing street directions. There are those of us out there who have had what seemed like clear and easy directions to a destination, on paper, but who have become completely disorientated when the route is actually being followed. Lots of variables. And sometimes the directions giver does not explain things well. :)

14. shark315

shark315 Well-Known Member

15. SavageMarkIII

SavageMarkIII Well-Known Member

They had only a hand drawn map written on napkin. And as someone else said, driving in the dark. And they were only “lost” for that brief time. They made it to the BP gas station in Headland before continuing on with the evening.

16. Blacklist

Blacklist Active Member

This hearing was certainly an interesting soirée. I knew Mr. Beasley had different thoughts on the murder and the perpetrators involved. I certainly did not expect to see his appearance pretrial.
    The comment by the reporter (Ken Curtis) in that we will not likely see this type of testimony in the future because this is only a bond hearing is flawed thinking. I think we will see this (being Mr. Beasley as well as several other individuals ) again.

As such a Pandora’s box that is being opened will be another contentious point that will bring strong considerations for a change in venue.

I am surprised but not shocked.

Even though it would not exonerate Mr. McCraney, it would be interesting to know the details of what Mr. Beasley’s “investigators” are purporting. Coming to a 3M podcast in the future?? I doubt it.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  17. Catmammy

Catmammy Well-Known Member

This has been a high profile case in Alabama and will become an even more high profile trial. I'm expecting all types of legal wrangling from both sides. Time to wait and watch. It's certain to be interesting. Justice be served at last for Tracie and J.B.

18. LR1

LR1 Well-Known Member

That "investigator" imo is a nut job and his tired old theory is crackpot and garbage. Mr. B might want to reevaluate the company he keeps if he's interested in justice for his daughter and Mrs. Tracie.

19. Andreee

It is very understandable how they could have gotten lost briefly or even longer!

Hazelnutty and Blacklist like this.
  20. Blacklist

Blacklist Active Member

I tend to agree. It was pretty outlandish. Probably a bounty hunter/ bondsman if the truth were known ..... wink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.