GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

This is interesting and a bit surprising for me. Only 30% of the potential jury pool summoned for today showed up. 75 out of 250 Summoned. I am going to have to really think on this. But I still have faith in the Dale county residents to form an objective jury.

Tuesday, August 9th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial set to begin on 8/15/22. Jury selection began on 8/8/22.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 8/5/22 reference post #601 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-31

8/7/22 Update: Dale County Judge William Filmore’s ruling came on Sunday, 8/7/22 in response to a defense request that he clarify an order that he had issued on Friday. In that order, Filmore refused to permit testimony implicating others after one witness recanted her claims that a police officer killed the girls & he determined other evidence did not meet the threshold of relevancy. Jeanette McCraney’s (Coley's wife) testimony will not fully alibi McCraney because the victims were last heard from about 90 minutes before her husband arrived home in Ozark where they resided near the crime scene. However, McCraney’s attorneys are hoping Judge Filmore will permit testimony from a man who delivered newspapers in 1999 that could indicate that Ms. Beasley & Ms. Hawlett were still alive at near 3 am. The judge will rule later whether that testimony will be permitted.
8/8/22 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: Of 250 prospective jurors who had been summoned only 75 showed up at the Dale County courthouse on Monday & 17 of those were quickly excused for various reasons. The 58 remaining prospective jurors cited other reasons they should be excused, though most of those were not immediately discharged. Afterwards, all were questioned individually about their knowledge of this media frenzy 7 it is reasonable to assume some will be disqualified due to pretrial publicity. They were also questioned about their death penalty beliefs. Jury selection continues on 8/9/22.

This is interesting and a bit surprising for me. Only 30% of the potential jury pool summoned for today showed up. 75 out of 250 Summoned. I am going to have to really think on this. But I still have faith in the Dale county residents to form an objective jury.

I think people are concerned about the repercussions of being on the jury after the trial. There are a LOT of very vocal people backing innocence and just as many convinced he is guilty. It's a small community. Personally, as many on here know already, I have looked at and weighed in on numerous rumors, theories, etc, and having lived local for 30 plus years I have heard plenty. I believe I could be objective, but would never be considered. And wouldn't want to be. Emotions are running high, and when the trial is over and jury members are revealed or leaked I honestly believe jurors and their families will have repercussions no matter what the verdict is.

Sadly, this is happening in a lot of areas. MOO: A lot of society simply takes the attitude that if they don't want to do something, they simply ignore it. Sad. Why do they do it? They believe there will be no repercussions.

Sadly, this is happening in a lot of areas. MOO: A lot of society simply takes the attitude that if they don't want to do something, they simply ignore it. Sad. Why do they do it? They believe there will be no repercussions.
What happens to the ones that don't show up for jury duty? Do they get penalized by the law?

What happens to the ones that don't show up for jury duty? Do they get penalized by the law?
You can be. A lot of the time nothing happens, but they can reissue summons, put out a bench warrant, and you can face jail (3 days I think?) and/or fines up to $1000. Particularly if the judge gets upset because nonappearances are delaying the trial, like what may happen here.

So - any news on how many prospective jurors were picked yesterday? Or there were none?

We're still being hit hard by Covid in Alabama - I wonder if that could have affected potential juror turnout.

You can be. A lot of the time nothing happens, but they can reissue summons, put out a bench warrant, and you can face jail (3 days I think?) and/or fines up to $1000. Particularly if the judge gets upset because nonappearances are delaying the trial, like what may happen here.
I can't believe so many of them were no shows.

New Flash!!!! Congress and SCOTUS have overturned the 6th amendment of the U.S. constitution. No speedy trial required!!!
Seriously though, I am surprised at the number who did not at least respond to the subpoena. If you can’t fairly serve, you will get struck off. It is as easy as that. A potential juror can make it happen easily; specifically in a capital penalty case especially with the strict jury selection rules that Alabama has for felony trials.

I just wonder how many or few subpoenas were returned as undeliverable.

I am concerned that this will only serve to give the State more powder for their change of venue cannon If they decide to raise it Again.

Last edited:
Update!

Tuesday, August 9th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2)-POSTPONED! (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial was set to begin on 8/15/22 has been postponed until 2023. Jury selection began on 8/8/22 & ended on 8/9/22.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 8/7/22 & Jury selection (Day 1) 8/8/22 reference post #605 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-31

8/9/22 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: There had been concerns about the prospects of finding an impartial jury, but those concerns deepened on Monday when only 75 of 250 summoned showed up. Quickly reduced to 58 for a plethora of reasons, the pool was whittled down even more during individual questioning of prospective jurors that centered largely on pretrial publicity. Eventually, the pool became too slim to empanel 15 jurors that is required by law, forcing Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore to delay McCraney’s capital murder trial. Trial has been temporarily postponed until at least 2023.

Ihttps://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article264389061.html

With too few people from which attorneys could select a jury, the judge called off the trial until next year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back