AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

"Small Town PD." Anyone Talking to LE?
Unfortunately a small town PD not providing everything to media is reported as they are incompetent and/or corrupt. It is sad.
This was i am sure a chaotic scene and mixed reports are abundant. But I am also certain that there are plenty who know what this was all about. But that doesn't mean they are giving that information to Law Enforcement.
Agreeing w ^ about some reports spinning to characterize small town LE that way. Per posts following the one ^, state & fed level agencies are providing assistance, so fortunately the investigatory burden will not rest entirely on the local PD.

And how many partiers w relevant info are willing or
able to sit down w LE for candid chats, turn over their guns, phones, etc?

Latest update:

**Dadeville Shooting Third Update**

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) has confirmed that the total number of injuries has increased to 32 individuals injured during the shooting, which occurred at approximately 10:34 p.m. near the 200 Block of Broadnax Street in Dadeville, located in Tallapoosa County. The number of deceased individuals remains at four.

On Sunday, April 16, Special Agents with ALEA’s State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), along with local and federal partners, established a Command Post at the Tallapoosa County Courthouse in Dadeville. Subsequently, they launched an extensive investigation using all available resources to process the scene.

After conducting a preliminary analysis of the evidence at the scene, as well as reviewing the information that has been received so far, Special Agents are still in the process of gathering and examining information relative to the sequence of events which ultimately led to the shooting. Special Agents did not recover any high-powered rifle ammunition at the scene; however, they did recover numerous shell casings used in handguns. Investigators are still processing all of the evidence, in conjunction with completing interviews, in an effort to solidify a motive and potential suspects.

ALEA is asking for the public’s assistance in this case. If you or anyone you know has information regarding this incident, please contact SBI’s Crime information hotline at 1-800-392-8011 or email at sbi.investigations@alea.gov or contact Central Alabama Crime Stoppers at 1-833-AL1-STOP or at www.215stop.com.

ALEA’s Fusion Center has also partnered with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Mobile Office to provide a digital tip line for videos and photos related to the incident. Those files may be uploaded at: FBI — Seeking information on the 15 April Dadeville Shooting.

Also, if you have information for the 5th Circuit District Attorney’s Office concerning the incident or need to provide information to the individuals or families concerning victim services, please visit: District Attorney for Alabama's 5th Circuit.

Nothing further is available as the investigation is ongoing.
Does this mean that NO automatic weapons were used? I know zero about guns, but there were so many shots fired to have a large number of deaths and injuries, that there must have been a good number of guns at the party and a large pool of shooters. Sounds like a a shootout was planned. And it will take a long time to figure out who was shot by who's weapon....... JMO

Does this mean that NO automatic weapons were used? I know zero about guns, but there were so many shots fired to have a large number of deaths and injuries, that there must have been a good number of guns at the party and a large pool of shooters. Sounds like a a shootout was planned. And it will take a long time to figure out who was shot by who's weapon....... JMO
The press release specifically mentioned high powered rifles. They did not rule out semi automatic/automatic handguns.
I agree that it is a very complicated crime scene. There are likely several shooters. There’s a lot of talk about why a shooter or shooters have not been identified. I am wondering if one or more of the shooters did not intend to shoot anyone that night, but returned fire when the aggressor(s) arrived and began shooting at the party. Is there a shooter who acted in self defense with an illegal firearm who is a sort of semi hero for possibly saving some lives?
Complicated, huh?

Alabama birthday girl begged dying brother to ‘stay with me’

“I got on my knees and he was laying face down. And that’s when I grabbed him. I turned him over, I was holding him,” Alexis Dowdell said, recalling the moment she found her brother with the life ebbing out of him.

She tapped her brother’s face as he drifted in an out of consciousness, begging him to, “stay with me, stay with me.” She recalled: “I wasn’t crying at the moment because I was trying to be strong instead of panicking. And so I said, ‘You’re going to be all right. You’re a fighter, you’re strong.’”

Dowdell said she dove to the floor near the DJ as the dozens of revelers ran. She “didn’t know where to run,” in part because shots seemed to come from multiple directions.

When there was a break in gunfire, she bolted for the front door. But someone pushed her. It was her brother, trying to protect her.

“I guess he tried to push me out the door as fast as he could, but I ended up slipping on blood, because it was a whole bunch of blood on the floor,” she said.

Once outside, she found her mother and stepfather. “Where are my cousins, where are my friends? Where is my brother?” Dowdell pleaded.

Making their way back to Mahogany Masterpiece dance studio, the children’s mother looked inside. “She came out and she was like ’My baby, my baby’s gone,’” she said.

Dadeville locals were quick to say that such violence was uncharacteristic of their community, but gun deaths are more common in Alabama than in most places. The state had the fifth highest rate of gun deaths nationwide in 2020, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Investigator did reveal Monday evening that no high-powered rifle ammunition was found at the scene. They say all shell casings found were consistent with those used in handguns.

Snipped< Sheriffs said the requirement for a permit and a background check was a safeguard for the public and for law enforcement in a state with high levels of gun violence. Permit fees also help fund sheriffs’ operations.
Thanks for that informative link, no permits essentially defunds the police.
I guess the good news is they’ve added more trauma doctors in AL.

From your link:
[Montgomery County Sheriff Derrick] Cunningham [who opposed the bill] said he is concerned that gun violence could worsen in a state with one of the highest rates of deaths from guns. He noted news reports that UAB Hospital has added trauma surgeons because of a sharp increase in gunshot victims.

Failure to comply with reporting law could end police jurisdictions in at least 13 Wiregrass municipalities
Besides the loss in police revenue from gun permits, Dadeville is on a list for noncompliance in reporting the LE services they provided and annual fees and tax revenue collected within the police jurisdiction. This will “hinder police services” due to being penalized from collecting “any further license revenue or any other taxes or fees in the police jurisdiction outside the corporate limits.”

Last edited:
Alabama birthday girl begged dying brother to ‘stay with me’

“I got on my knees and he was laying face down. And that’s when I grabbed him. I turned him over, I was holding him,” Alexis Dowdell said, recalling the moment she found her brother with the life ebbing out of him.

She tapped her brother’s face as he drifted in an out of consciousness, begging him to, “stay with me, stay with me.” She recalled: “I wasn’t crying at the moment because I was trying to be strong instead of panicking. And so I said, ‘You’re going to be all right. You’re a fighter, you’re strong.’”

Dowdell said she dove to the floor near the DJ as the dozens of revelers ran. She “didn’t know where to run,” in part because shots seemed to come from multiple directions.

When there was a break in gunfire, she bolted for the front door. But someone pushed her. It was her brother, trying to protect her.

“I guess he tried to push me out the door as fast as he could, but I ended up slipping on blood, because it was a whole bunch of blood on the floor,” she said.

Once outside, she found her mother and stepfather. “Where are my cousins, where are my friends? Where is my brother?” Dowdell pleaded.

Making their way back to Mahogany Masterpiece dance studio, the children’s mother looked inside. “She came out and she was like ’My baby, my baby’s gone,’” she said.
wow, that is just heart breaking.

In many areas, gangs begin recruiting new members from middle school. It is not uncommon for gang members to run into members of another gang at a community event and begin shooting. I dealt with this in the late 80's in New Orleans and have known of incidents like this in the South Carolina Lowcountry this century (the Cowboys gang are well-known for this). It could be organized gangs, or community gangs like the one involved with the recent shooting of three teens in Florida.

The recent shooting at a community events at the Isle of Palms, SC involved one arrest for possession of a stolen gun by a teen. The shooting happened after a fight and then the guns came out.

Whether or not this case is related to gang activity is yet to be determined, but it seems to fit the pattern.

Looks like the suspects are probably brothers. So much wasted life.
Yes, it is. Not only for the dead and injured, but also for the wasted future of the two young men who were arrested. How do we get into the heads of these teenagers who think that this the only way to settle a score? How do we erase the anger? How do we teach respect for human life?
Did they even think about how this was going to end? Did they realize they might die that night? Did they care?
They are being charged as adults. Did they think about how it would feel to spend the rest of their lives in a 6 x 8 cell; never again hanging out with their friends on a warm Alabama night, never again stepping onto a playing field, never again getting a crush, going on a date, getting married, having kids, living long?
They say that gun control is this answer to this sickness that has infiltrated our society. It may help, but if we want real change we have to find a way to change the mindset of a teenager who thinks that the only way to seek revenge for a wrong, real or imagined, is to take the life of another human being.

Do you think it’s possible one or both brothers felt slighted because they weren’t invited?

Do you think it’s possible one or both brothers felt slighted because they weren’t invited?
I don’t know. There’s been rumors all over social media such as retaliation, the kkk, dissing someone, gangs, racists, and the list goes on. I think LE probably has a good idea of what the motive was at this point based on witness interviews, but were there people shooting in self defense who also may have hit bystanders? According to reports, the room was very dark. Many of those hit probably don’t even know who shot them or why.
The motive will only come out if one of the shooters talk or one of the intended victims say why. MOO
ETA From what has been reported, some attendees knew trouble was brewing before the shooting began.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back