AL AL - Opelika, 'Juvenile Jane Doe', BlkFem, UP9834, 4-7, in woods, abused, Jan'12 *reward*

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Kimster, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

Hi all unfortunately I didn’t initially realize
    I was quoting a closed FB group - in breach of the WS TOS. So I reported my post and all that quotes my post and had mods remove them.

Apologies to everyone and huge thanks to the member that PM’d me to alert me to the breach.

Lets just leave it that someone - not Othram - is on this case.

2. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

Hi all unfortunately I didn’t initially realize I was quoting a closed FB group - in breach of the WS TOS. So I reported my post and all that quotes my post and had mods remove them.

Apologies to everyone and huge thanks to the member that PM’d me to alert me to the breach.

3. HoaZi

HoaZi Member

I'm not certain he's still at that department since last time I checked articles were quoting another detective about her case. The numbers on their site should still get you in touch with someone on her case, though:
    Contact Us | Opelika, AL

4. victoriarobinson642

victoriarobinson642 Well-Known Member

5. Grungster

Grungster Well-Known Member

It is also believed she might have ties to Orlando, Florida. I’ve been told that this came up during the general investigation.

6. BrownBear

BrownBear Well-Known Member

Just read through the thread, was it ever determined whether her eye was actually removed? I assume that if it was the reconstructions would have it missing. Sorry if I missed it.

Grungster and Laughing like this.
  7. Grungster

Grungster Well-Known Member

The only thing that was determined was that she had an eye defect and that she was possibly blind in it. This was something that wasn’t released until the photos came out and that makes me and I’m sure everyone else think the girl in the photos is Jane Doe

8. BrownBear

BrownBear Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's what I thought but making sure, as a surgery would have records which would be helpful.

Laughing and Grungster like this.
  9. PeriwinkleE

PeriwinkleE Well-Known Member

I noticed this artist’s rendering is new as of today. This might have been discussed here previously and if it has, I’m just bumping. :) Getting her face out there to as many eyes as possible has got to jog someone’s memory. She had to have met someone whom she made an impression on who remembers her. She lived somewhere when she healed from that eye and other injuries. Have they asked the congregation if anyone remembers her? Gone out to the rural places and talked to the old people who don’t do technology? They are plentiful in the small towns someone might move to when they’re keeping their little girl home for after “an illness” or “accident”. Right? They just haven’t seen her in this context. Throw a bandage on the rendering! Someone remembers her.

10. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

upload_2021-10-9_6-39-50.jpeg
    The images were taken in the summer of 2011 at Greater Peace Community Church, located just three miles from where Opelika Jane Doe was found. “We know there are people who have information about who this child is. We've tracked down tips from across the country and now believe that she may have ties to the Orlando, Florida area,” said White. “We won’t stop until we can give this child her name back. She was just a little girl; she deserves dignity and a proper burial.
    Who is Opelika Jane Doe?

Have you seen this child? Jane Doe2012

bettyboop, Al Ka, cvaldez1975 and 8 others like this.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I had a strange dream about this case, although I can’t remember the details. It’s particularly disturbing because we likely have pictures of the little girl alive. Also knowing that she had a damaged eye from the abuse, and seeing the evidence of that.

It’s hard to believe they can’t identify her from this. She’s in two different outfits so presumably was there for two days. Surely they can do facial recognition searches of the adults that must be in the remainder of the images. Like how an amateur sleuth did with the pictures of the lady who was found alive on the Croatian island, and managed to find other pictures of her which led to her being identified.

Laughing and renee_ellis like this.
  12. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

Years ago, we registered kids that attended VBS. We got their parents name and contact info. But churches have gotten away from that in recent years-mine has. If they had registered this little girl, then this case might be solved. I’m not criticizing the church, VBS can be chaotic with so many children there.

13. Springrain

Springrain Who was the 1980 Ventura County Jane Doe?

Sorry, I think I'm missing something - what is VBS referring to? I'm assuming a children's church organization?

I am curious as to the informant(s) said about Orlando. Since Greater Peace Community Church was so close to where she was found, it sure seems she was local. :confused: I wonder if they had recently moved to the Opelika area from Orlando, and/or if most of Jane Doe's family is in the Orlando area. Maybe her parent(s) even went back to Orlando after she died.

weepingangel likes this.
  14. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

VBS is short for Vacation Bible School. Way back in the thread I believe it was said she was attending a VBS at the Greater Peace Community Church.

Springrain, Laughing and carbuff like this.
  15. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

16. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

IIRC, up-thread someone figured out that this church has buses or vans, and likely sent them out into the community to bring kids to VBS. IIRC, that's also part of the reason for the mention of the mobile home park? (Fair warning, I've had COVID since then. :eek:)

This child may have come from a neighbor's, a babysitters, a tangential relationship?

At the very least, looks like this church treated her as the deserving small person she is, welcome to join in their event!

I expect that her mother is unidentified in another location.

jmho ymmv lrr

Al Ka, carbuff, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  17. Nocgirl

Nocgirl Active Member

I have a hard time believing no records from the church exist to find out what name she was registered under. Also no family members have submitted any DNA to the ancestry sites? Familial DNA is being used in so many states. Sorry if this has already been covered.

annemc2 likes this.
  18. Nocgirl

Nocgirl Active Member

I was wondering the same thing A go fund me could easily be raised to do testing and catch the scum that did this.

19. Nocgirl

Nocgirl Active Member

Too far apart and Jeahessye's mother was seen carrying a large item and discarding it in a local dumpster. It's believed that was probably her little body. what a horrible woman. I am in AZ and followed that sad case.

20. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

IF the program had a bus route -- the driver probably picked up every kid at the location, no questions asked.

The child might have provided her first name only, or a first & surname that do not match any records.

But -- I certainly hope that the good folks who planned & carried out that VBS talked to LE, and talked & talked until every tiny detail was recorded by a skilled interviewer.

My ancestors are uniformly from the British Isles. It is my understanding that the DNA genealogy services are mostly used by people with European ancestry. Since interested adults must obtain a kit & supply a sample, matching material may not be available for this little one:

For Asians, blacks, Latinos, genealogical tests don't tell full story

The article does indicate hope:

One smaller site has taken a different approach. AfricanAncestry.com looks solely at African heritage and has since 2003. It has over 33,000 African samples, representing 40 African countries, said Gina Paige, the company’s president. Co-founded by African-American geneticist Rick Kittles, it is 100 percent black-owned.

Placing her samples with this company might make a difference.

Those VBS pictures show a cared-for child -- what changed???

jmho ymmv lrr

Al Ka and annemc2 like this.