Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Jo in Calif, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denniece

Denniece Well-Known Member

I've been a member for awhile and a lurker for a long time, but thought I'd chime in here.
    I'm in Minnesota. My little (20 yo) cousin died of a heroin/fentanyl overdose almost two years ago. His best friend was charged and convicted of second degree manslaughter. They had done it together but the friend was the one who purchased it. There were a few other similar cases in our town around the same time.
    Incidentally, in none of the cases did the friend hide or bury the body, but they all left. A few months ago a young man ODd in a gas station parking lot, his friend got scared and instead of seeking help he left him to die in his car alone.

moo

2. SaucyWalker

SaucyWalker Well-Known Member

That's the impression I got, too, from reading the article, Seattle1.

Beth11311, everybodhi and Seattle1 like this.
  3. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

4. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

It's been known to happen in other cases, so not an unreasonable question.

5. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

People do recover from heroin. The problem is dealing with reality after escaping it for so long.

But, I don't believe that Paighton's death is related to drug use. She was in recovery. I believe that this death is just another one in this particular area, that will be unsolved. There are too many missing people in the greater Birmingham area...there is a problem there.

6. farmgirl04

farmgirl04 Active Member

I am still relatively new to this and I am having a very hard time grasping the absence of a timeline. Allegedly a group of coworkers go out for an evening together to see a band and there isn’t a digital footprint or any eyewitnesses.

7. true_crime_nerd_79

true_crime_nerd_79 Well-Known Member

There probably are digital footprints and eyewitnesses. But LE isn't going to share that with the public or the media right now!

8. everybodhi

everybodhi Verified Cosmopolitan Bias

Nothing specific from her mother, only that, “things don’t add up”.

“The mother told the newspaper 'there are a lot of things that don't add up' about the circumstances surrounding her daughter's disappearance two days ago.”

Reward offered for information in the case of missing Alabama mom who left bar with two men | Daily Mail Online

Her friend claims it’s out of character for Paighton to leave with people she doesn’t know.

“"She's always very cautious," Houston's friend, Jennifer Schaffner, said at the vigil. "She's just not one to do, you know, something like that, like, leave with a random person. That's just not who she is."”

Family desperate for answers 10 days after woman vanished from Birmingham bar

9. glynngoble

glynngoble Well-Known Member

I have had a thought that I don't want to bring up but makes some sense to me. I don't know many of us moms that under similar circumstances would actually say, "Oh, yeah, my daughter would leave with two heavyset black guys she didn't know." I mean, that sounds ridiculous. Now I am NOT saying the family was in denial, but I am wondering if there was something underlying that they were thinking but didn't want to say. Possibly, because of something in her past, PH was distrustful of black men (and there's even more underlying there as to why that could be) and so they say within the family, " We all KNOW that the last people PH would ever leave somewhere with would be two BLACK men." I'm not trying to say that PH was racist or anything like that. Just that maybe some trauma or experience made her feel a certain way that convinced her family even more that the "story" was not true.

10. Zella

Zella Well-Known Member

I've actually wondered if the description of who she was last seen with was designed to be the exact opposite of who she was last with.

That being said, I do question anytime relatives say someone would never do something. A lot of times families don't see every side of a person, and just because they think she wouldn't leave with strangers doesn't mean she wouldn't. I am not convinced there were strangers to leave with, let alone that she would leave with strangers, but I do think sometimes families can just simply be mistaken on those things simply because that is not the side of their loved one they know but a friend or acquaintance may.

11. everybodhi

everybodhi Verified Cosmopolitan Bias

Thank you, I probably got it from you! :)
    [edited to add my websleuth sleuthing ability tells me I definitely got it from you]
    Everything is just a repeat for those who haven’t read all the threads, at this point.
    There’s nowhere new to go that hasn’t already been covered, I don’t think.
    Except the news that relevant information was received through crime stoppers tips, we can speculate on what that information may be and where it may have come from.
    But really, without more facts, it’s just a waiting game now for police to tell us what happened to Paighton.
    moo

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

@farmgirl04 -- please trust that you are not alone here. It's been most infuriating to me that the clock on this lovely woman's life stopped even before she allegedly left the bar with two stocky men! I don't get it. :eek:

mspepper, NoSI, Spartygirl and 10 others like this.
  13. stattlich1

stattlich1 Well-Known Member

I've been following this case rather closely. It is odd that, to my knowledge, nothing is out there on social media showing PH at this bar, nobody interviewed from the bar stating they had seen her there, nary a peep from any friend, or co worker, in an attempt to establish clarity, or timeline, or innocence, no pictures of her at the table with her colleagues, nothing. (If there is, I'd love to know, via private msg. if necessary)

It's like, after her last contact with her mom, she vanished.....except.....for the report from the coworker/friend stating she was seen leaving the bar, and the infamous text received.

I guess it's possible any individuals who might be considered witnesses to such things have been given a gag order by LE, or are wise, upon legal counsel, or otherwise, to keep their mouth shut, and not post things on social media from that night.

I'm really beginning to doubt the entire bar story.

Regarding her shallow grave. I have had this thought, and of course, it is speculation, that very little, if any, digging was done. There very well could have been a depression in that yard, possibly from a previous use, that lent it self to lying her there, and being covered with whatsoever was available, be it sticks, leaves, grass, trash, etc. Now this was just a random thought, totally speculation.

cass523, momrids6, NoSI and 19 others like this.
  14. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

Not a dumb question at all. There are a handful of "potentials" there but it's a guessing game, since we don't really have much to go on, yet.

15. GeorgiaRai

GeorgiaRai Well-Known Member

This is what I've been thinking as well. Early reports used "hole" and "shallow grave" interchangeably, but to me they represent two very different scenarios. Maybe that house was chosen because someone was familiar enough with it to know there was already a hole of some kind in the backyard. MOO.

16. glynngoble

glynngoble Well-Known Member

Today is a tough day for the family and my prayers will be with them. May all the people that are there this afternoon and tomorrow give them some comfort.

17. evilwise

evilwise Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to even be any crime scene tape at the house where the body was found. Small and viral news agencies have been taking up-close pictures of it and there's no indication of any digging but there ARE holes in the foundation, a crawlspace/ventilation/footer window and a large cellar door that's busted open. My guess is that she was just placed into one of those then "buried" with trash.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed as rumor/hearsay>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2020
  18. GeorgiaRai

GeorgiaRai Well-Known Member

I'd wondered how the co-worker knew the time PH left the bar. It hadn't occurred to me that 10:45 could've been given as the time PH was last seen by her friends because THEY left while she chose to stay. And being a much younger co-worker could definitely change the dynamic re: "letting" PH stay behind and/or checking up on her throughout the evening. MOO.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. Iggy2020

Iggy2020 Well-Known Member

Maybe it does not add up, because in their minds she would never do such a thing but we all know our parents don't know what we are up to. If she was inebriated and did not have a friend with her, she may have most likely left with them. This may end up being much more similar to the Spurlock case, where the friend left and she had to fend for herself intoxicated. MOO

Jan424, Sunny58, Momma2cam and 3 others like this.
  20. Barbie Grant

Barbie Grant New Member

I took it more as she wouldn't leave with two strange MEN, period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.