AL AL - Selma, WhtMale Adult, UP86868, Found near Highway, Possibly from Ohio, Mar'99

Tuck

Reaction score
General Information

Date of Discovery - 03/28/1999

Location of Discovery - Selma, Dallas County, Alabama

Estimated Date of Death - 1997 - 1998

State of Remains - Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Cause of Death - Possible Homicide

Physical Description

Estimated Age - Older than 40

Race - White / Caucasian

Gender - Male

Height - 5'7 - 5'8, Estimated

Weight - 150 - 175 Pounds, Estimated

Hair Color - Gray or Partially Gray

Eye Color - Unknown or Missing

Distinguishing Marks / Features - Extensive past dental work, including crowns, bridges and root canals.

Clothing and Personal Items

Clothing - Largely deteriorated dark t-shirt (possibly dark green), a red and blue plaid long sleeve shirt, (brand name "Timberline," size XL; this is a quilted shirt with white synthetic fiber filler, with both sleeves rolled above the elbows), a black zipper outer jacket make of synthetic material with epaulet straps on each of the shoulders, underpants (brand name Fruit of the Loom), trousers made of black synthetic material with no legible label, white woven pair of socks, two deteriorated brown dress sport shoes of the lace type (brand name Rockport/Fibram with no detectible size) - authorities have stated that some of these clothes may have come from a thrift shop or a dumpster.

Jewelry - N/A

Additional Personal Items - A wooden-handled leather saddlebag-type travel bag (brown in colour with no external markings), an empty wallet, six pieces of apparent wallet insert (one piece of plastic which bears an image transfer; the image is digitally captured and enhanced revealing two images of white male and printing which appears to be that of a driver's license), twenty-seven unfired 25 caliber cartridges (in the right pocket), deteriorated pack of cigarettes consisting of seven filters and remaining clear plastic wrapper (in the right front pocket), one 25 caliber auto R&B Industries model Fraser semi-auto pistol serial number 001740, with magazine inserted containing three unfired Remington brand cartridges (reported stolen from California).

Circumstances of Discovery

A local man hunting for dogwood trees at dusk found the scattered remains of the man in a ditch ten yards off the westbound side of Highway 80 East near the bank of the Alabama River. He initially believed that they were animal bones, but returned to the site a day later and contacted authorities after finding clothing and other personal effects.

Authorities believed that the man may have been a transient or a hitchhiker, as the remains were located near a travel bag containing clothing. More specifically, authorities believe that he may have been from Ohio; an empty wallet located near the remains had an imprint on the plastic sleeve with the letters 'O V I C H' which a forensic scientist determined may have originated from an Ohio driver's license bearing the name of former state governor George Voinovich. It was also speculated that the man (due to his extensive dental work) may have previously been a veteran who had dental work done during his service, or that he had previously attained considerable wealth before losing it. Prior to his death, his dental condition had begun to deteriorate, as major cavities were present in some of his teeth.

The cause of death was determined to be more than one gunshot to the chest; the gun was located near the body amongst other personal effects. After tracing the gun with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, authorities found that the gun had previously been stolen from California. Two fired cartridge casings were also found near the decedent.

At the time of the discovery, no residents of Selma or Dallas County had been reported missing, quickly leading to the dismissal of the belief that the man was local to the area. Subsequent extensive inquiries and comparison with over 300 missing persons throughout the United States have also failed to establish the identity of the man.

The Montgomery Advertiser from Montgomery, Alabama on December 24, 1999 · 19

The Selma Times-Journal from Selma, Alabama on November 14, 1999 · 6

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was modified with appropriate links added>

This seems solvable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuck - Not listed in details, and likely would be given extensive info provided, but was there any indication of a tax stamp on the pack of cigarettes that you are aware of?

Tuck - Not listed in details, and likely would be given extensive info provided, but was there any indication of a tax stamp on the pack of cigarettes that you are aware of?

I didn't see any mention of that in the articles unfortunately, but it might be worth having another look as I believe that this was locally reported on in detail at the time of the discovery of the remains.

I think what little of the "Driver's License Picture" I can see, he looks older than this one................???
I think you’re probably right. Edward would have been early 40s by this time. I wish there were clearer images.

Voinovich was governor of OH from 1991-1998. Here's a snip of a DL at the time - the info below the governor's name would seem to align as well. The license would have been issued during this time. Assuming info below on current renewals was same as during the governor's tenure, then I believe the earliest this license would have come up for renewal would have been in 1995-6, with the latest being 2003. I don't know if license records are destroyed after a certain period of not renewed, but worthy of a check. If the photo could be enhanced perhaps it could be used with some type of facial recognition software or something.

1660082592908.png

Currently, per the Ohio BMV website:

A driver license that is current or expired less than six months can be renewed at any deputy registrar license agency at any time before the expiration date.
  • The driver license will expire in four years or eight years depending on applicant's choice and qualifications

The only person I could find on NamUs that bore a passing resemblance to the license photo was Edmond Sweeney, missing from Saylorsburg PA since 2/22/1998.

Original-3.jpeg

The only person I could find on NamUs that bore a passing resemblance to the license photo was Edmond Sweeney, missing from Saylorsburg PA since 2/22/1998.

View attachment 358689
His stat info seems to align fine to me. Not a lot of info provided on the circumstances of his disappearance except that he went out for a walk and hasn't been heard since. The info in the original post said the UID was compared against 300 missing across the country so Mr. Sweeney could have been compared and we don't know it. I think given what is known I would encourage you to submit it for consideration. Perhaps someone else on WS knows more about Mr. Sweeney's case?

With the UID, I'm curious about when the gun was reported stolen out of CA and also if there was a tax stamp with the cigarettes. I'll do some poking around in newspaper archives and see if there is any additional info and post.

I've tried clearing this photo up a bit to see if we can get a better idea of what the license photo might look like.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 5.29.26 pm.png

Very interesting case. Man was found near highway very decomposed. Wallet contained an Ohio driver's license however the decedent had been there so long that the license was totally worn. There was apparently an image transfer that allowed for investigators to get an image of the man's face. I'm not sure what that meant I think it means the ink transferred onto the card next to it in the wallet and they were able to get the image from that.

You can view the drivers license picture in the attachments on NamUs or in the other websites included.

Basically we got a gunshot victim who wasn't found for a very long time off a highway. A gun on the scene near the descendent with a serial number included. Multiple spent shell casings. Only 3 live rounds in the gun that was found. 27 bullets found in the descendents pocket. Makes me think there was something of a shootout really not sure because of missing info.

Here are some links for the Doe:

https:///wiki/Dallas_County_John_Doe_(March_1999)

The decedent wasn't compared with 300 missing across the country it was compared to locals missing out of Alabama. Just saying what was actually said. So basically this was a preliminary search done days after the body was found. They looked for Alabama locals and didn't find anything.
His stat info seems to align fine to me. Not a lot of info provided on the circumstances of his disappearance except that he went out for a walk and hasn't been heard since. The info in the original post said the UID was compared against 300 missing across the country so Mr. Sweeney could have been compared and we don't know it. I think given what is known I would encourage you to submit it for consideration. Perhaps someone else on WS knows more about Mr. Sweeney's case?

With the UID, I'm curious about when the gun was reported stolen out of CA and also if there was a tax stamp with the cigarettes. I'll do some poking around in newspaper archives and see if there is any additional info and post.

When looking at the Drivers License I see 4 images. First of all are they all from the same photo or two different ones? Either way I'm wondering if I can superimpose the two images against each other to make a clearer image.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back