Presumed Located AL - Timothy Downey, 63, Baldwin County, 15 Sep 2020

ADKGemini

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

Circumstances of DisappearanceLeft home in route to Illinois until after Hurricane Sally cleanup was complete. Never arrived at destination. Does not possess a cellphone. Debit charges show Mr. Downey's card was used a Shell Service Station in Kingston Springs, TN on 9/18/2020 at 1141am. Downey has family in the Smithville, TN area approx. 1.5 hours east of Kingston Springs, TN. Mr. Downey has been entered into NCIC.

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

StyleSedan
ColorSilver and Black
StateAlabama
License Plate5AA8643
Expiration Year2021

There aren't any alerts for Timothy other than a couple of FB posts on MP groups referencing the NamUs profile. I wonder where in Illinois he was headed and who does he know there?

When I mapped a route from Foley, AL directly to Illinois it doesn't seem as though he'd be anywhere near Kingston Springs or Smithville, TN. Did Timothy decide to visit his family in Smithville, TN (east of Nashville)? Even if he did, the route from Foley to Smithville appears to completely bypass Kingston Springs, which is west of Nashville. Assuming he made it to Smithville then headed to Illinois, the route still doesn't route through Kingston Springs. :confused:

This is odd. I wish there were more details about his trip. I can't find anything or anyone searching for him on FB. :(

I had to go to Google Maps to check out the route.

The first Google map is directions from Foley, AL to Illinois (no city stated):

upload_2020-10-8_5-32-23.png

Then I opened up another tab of Google Maps, to get the route from Foley, AL, to Kingston Springs, TN, to Illinois. The route including Kingston Springs appears to be very similar to the most eastern of the routes shown in the first map, but it wasn't Google's preferred route:

upload_2020-10-8_5-35-19.png

Now, when I add Smithville, TN (where Timothy's relatives live), Google Maps doesn't change the main route, it just includes an out-and-back side trip to Smithville, TN, that would add 2 to 3 hours to the total trip:

upload_2020-10-8_5-39-59.png

I had to go to Google Maps to check out the route.

The first Google map is directions from Foley, AL to Illinois (no city stated):

View attachment 267178

Then I opened up another tab of Google Maps, to get the route from Foley, AL, to Kingston Springs, TN, to Illinois. The route including Kingston Springs appears to be very similar to the most eastern of the routes shown in the first map, but it wasn't Google's preferred route:

View attachment 267179

Now, when I add Smithville, TN (where Timothy's relatives live), Google Maps doesn't change the main route, it just includes an out-and-back side trip to Smithville, TN, that would add 2 to 3 hours to the total trip:

View attachment 267180

TY for the screenshots. I'm not tech-savvy enough for all that pizzazz :p. Anyways, I got the first two maps you did. For the third map I asked for directions from Foley to Smithville then to Illinois. I intentionally left out Kingston Springs b/c the circumstances read to me as if he has family in Smithville but not necessarily in KS. The KS stop for gas seemed a little out of place if he headed directly to Illinois as well as if he planned a trip directly from Foley to Smithville then to Illinois. Once he would leave from Smithville to head on to Illinois the route directed me along/around the east side of Nashville, not through KS.

I just wish we had more clarity about his case. Did he have plans to visit family or is Smithville mentioned simply b/c of the CC transaction in KS? Also, if we'd know where in Illinois he was headed, it would maybe answer questions surrounding the KS stop.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back