AL - Woman Intenionally Severed Umbilical Cord, Florence

White Rain

Reaction score
Ok I am MAJORLY confused (and disgusted)...How do you get inside yourself to sever the cord?
They said this was done at home, and she delivered at the hospital, so this had to be what happened. :waitasec:

FLORENCE, Ala. -- Authorities say a Florence woman has been charged in the death of her fetus after medical personnel determined the umbilical cord had been intentionally severed.

30-year-old Jennifer Darlene Johnson was being held today on $50,000 bond. A court official said she didn't have a lawyer.

Police say Johnson was about seven months into her pregnancy when she was taken to Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield Friday night. She said her water had broken and she was experiencing pain and bleeding. Police said the fetus was dead when delivered at the hospital.
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16890396/detail.html

I guess the boyfriend helped in this too.

These people are freaks who do not deserve to have anymore children.

WR ~ I'm confused, too. How could that happen? I guess "if there's a will, there's a way", but sheesh, that's a bit extreme!

WR ~ I'm confused, too. How could that happen? I guess "if there's a will, there's a way", but sheesh, that's a bit extreme!

I agree about the will and way...but gosh I would have thought this to be IMPOSSIBLE.
How could she reach there and what on earth could she have used to sever it? I thought the cord was pretty tough. :sick:

OK I'm lost what about her cervix? I surprised she didn't kill herself in the process.

OK I'm lost what about her cervix? I surprised she didn't kill herself in the process.

Yeah! Me too!
You use to hear all the time about women using coat hangers...maybe that is how she did it??? I just don't know. :confused::confused:

It's possible that the cord prolapsed, or sort of "fell out" of her. Perhaps she had an incompetent cervix. I'd say that's the most like scenario. Horrible.

It's possible that the cord prolapsed, or sort of "fell out" of her. Perhaps she had an incompetent cervix. I'd say that's the most like scenario. Horrible.

Could be true. If this were the case though I wonder what made her take the actions she did? Maybe she never wanted the baby and couldn't afford an abortion?

Could be true. If this were the case though I wonder what made her take the actions she did? Maybe she never wanted the baby and couldn't afford an abortion?

My first thought as well, but perhaps she was just that foolish-if she prolapsed and ripped the umbilical cord....

My first thought as well, but perhaps she was just that foolish-if she prolapsed and ripped the umbilical cord....

Could be but umbilical cords are thick. It seems hard to believe it was accidental.

That's really the only logical scenario. I wish they would release more information on this. I've never heard anything like this before! Poor baby :(

I'm surprised she's charged with anything. A woman around here faked being robbed and shot herself in the stomach killing her unborn child and got off because the baby never took a breath.

How in the world???? I'm completely confused. How can you do this...physically??

How horrible! I'm guessing maybe she tried to shove a coat hanger up her or something like that to end the pregnancy and maybe that caused her to severe the cord.

Her membranes had already ruptured. It is quite likely that the umbillical cord was partially prolapsed ( out in the birth canal), and it was cut while it was hanging out. Whether or not she knew she was murdering her unborn child is not really clear. Her level of understanding is not known.

This is one of the main reasons why women are told to go to the hospital when their membranes rupture. The umbillical cord can come out easily, or infection can occur.
Maria

Her membranes had already ruptured. It is quite likely that the umbillical cord was partially prolapsed ( out in the birth canal), and it was cut while it was hanging out. Whether or not she knew she was murdering her unborn child is not really clear. Her level of understanding is not known.

This is one of the main reasons why women are told to go to the hospital when their membranes rupture. The umbillical cord can come out easily, or infection can occur.
Maria

Did the membranes rupture on their own or was something done to rupture them?

Did the membranes rupture on their own or was something done to rupture them?

I cannot say how her membranes were ruptured because it is not stated. I don't know if it's known yet. They arrested her for outstanding traffic tickets and are investigating what happened. HK Hosp. did the right thing by reporting the extremely horrible death, of course, but I am not sure all is known yet. She could very well be on drugs.
This woman is from Cherry Hill Homes, a housing project which is well known to people in the area for gang violence, drugs, and all kinds of crime.
I have a friend who still lives in the town ( but far away from Cherry Hill Homes) and he has said that it was SO bad when he was investigating Welfare fraud as a social worker that he was afraid to be there in the daytime. ( he is kind of a scrawny little guy).
It is a haven for drug users, and to be honest, I cannot imagine a young woman in full control of her mental facilities living there. I question her mental acuity because living in a womens and childrens shelter would be better. There is a nice one in the area, called Safeplace. They defintely would have helped her with her pregnancy and daily life.

I wanted to make certain that no one thinks I am defending a possible fetacide by parents. I had to think long and hard before I could say how and why I have reservations about her role in this vs. the man's. I honestly don't see how she could cut the intact but protruding cord herself, plus, she would also be hemorrhaging afterwards. The umbilical cord is also attached to the placenta, which is attached to her uterine wall.
This tells me that she might not know what would happen and that perhaps the boyfriend did it. NO ONE wants to bleed to death, and she could have.

It would be quite unusual if the umbilical cord was actually visible by natural means. It would be up next to the opening of her cervix, possibly protruding into her vagina after the rupture of membranes and gush of amnoitic fluid, which can definitely propel an umbilical cord out of the open cervix. I guess that if it was not tangled, a person could put traction on it and pull it out. That is so horrible to think about, but I guess it had to have been done that way.

I don't know but ANYTHING'S possible at Cherry Hill Homes. It is an example of man's inhumanity to man ( and woman). Lots of rapes and sexual assaults on people of all ages there. Horrible horrible legacy of pain and crime. I feel so sick about a poor little baby dying that way.
Maria

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back