Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Since the FBI damaged the gun during testing I was wondering if that could affect a criminal case against AB? His defense could include his own experts testing the gun. Now that it's damaged how could his experts do a proper test of the gun? Seems to me that the FBI testing could be excluded from any possible trial because of that. JMO. Thought?

I have a question. Since the FBI damaged the gun during testing I was wondering if that could affect a criminal case against AB? His defense could include his own experts testing the gun. Now that it's damaged how could his experts do a proper test of the gun? Seems to me that the FBI testing could be excluded from any possible trial because of that. JMO. Thought?
100% right. A neophyte defense attorney would make this a huge part of a trial if charges were brought. "See, Alec said the gun was defective. The very next time it was fired, by the FBI, it broke."

I believe that he believes he didn't pull the trigger but I look at the photos from the rehearsal and his finger was on the trigger. Our minds have a way of protecting us from trauma.

I also believe that he's always relied on other people to create his 'star power' so rather than taking the time to understand that prop guns are not toys, learning the mechanics of the firearms that he's handled often or even bothering to take a gun safety course, he's heavily relied on others.

He's stated as much in the past and given how little he knows about them, I doubt if he even knows how little pressure it takes to pull a trigger.

In a civil or criminal case, I suspect we would see the defense file a Motion in Limine to prevent the introduction of the FBI report. The basis would be that defense was entitled to have its own expert examine the gun and now they can't and the reason they can't is due to actions of the Plaintiff's/Prosecution's own expert. I don't know if a judge would buy it or not, but probably would certainly limit the scope of the discussion of the FBI report.

Re: damage to the pistol. Did the FBI use a machine/mechanical device to test-fire the pistol to remove human variation?

A device that pulls the hammer, but this time the hammer cracked? If so, the amount of pressure would likely be recorded. Pistols with close serial numbers could be tested, perhaps this failure is common for the model?

Just guessing here, but the FBI would not need to protect the vision & hearing of a machine designed to fire pistols, or shield from potential barrel failure or other disasters?

Of course what I know about the FBI was learned watching Criminal Minds.

jmho ymmv lrr

Lots of denial, and blaming others for the tragedy. All about "poor AB" it was not his fault, and how he has suffered from this tragedy.

My personal opinion, if you are holding a gun, you are responsible for what occurs. Five minutes to verify that the weapon is not loaded, or verify that it is a "dummy" round would have prevented this tragedy. Five minutes. Follow the protocols, if a weapon is on the set, the armorer verifies what is in the gun, and is on the set when the gun is used.

It is not Halls fault, or Gutierrez fault that the protocol was not followed. It lies with the person who has the gun, and also the power to ensure rules were followed. That would mean, the producer, AB.

Lots of denial, and blaming others for the tragedy. All about "poor AB" it was not his fault, and how he has suffered from this tragedy.

My personal opinion, if you are holding a gun, you are responsible for what occurs. Five minutes to verify that the weapon is not loaded, or verify that it is a "dummy" round would have prevented this tragedy. Five minutes. Follow the protocols, if a weapon is on the set, the armorer verifies what is in the gun, and is on the set when the gun is used.

It is not Halls fault, or Gutierrez fault that the protocol was not followed. It lies with the person who has the gun, and also the power to ensure rules were followed. That would mean, the producer, AB.
I'm not sure from a "protocol" standpoint that this is correct. In part because I am hearing various things about what protocol is. Which leads me to believe that there really is no actual set policy. Certainly in a regular situation, the person holding the gun has an obligation to ensure it is safe. However, on a movie set, as I understand it, with actors who often are unfamiliar with firearms, depending on the armorer, the actor is prohibited from messing with the gun.

There is certainly a lot of blame to go around and lots of people share in that blame. AB has to understand this and that he does bear some responsibility, both as the person that pointed and fired the gun, and as a producer. Hall absolutely has some responsibility. He decided to proceed with the rehearsal involving the firearm knowing full well the armorer was not present. He obtained the gun, handed it to AB. And there unquestionably blame that will fall on Gutierrez. She, as the armorer, somehow allowed live ammunition on to the set, and then inexplicably loaded a live round into that gun. Then she allowed that gun out of her site and control. Her actions could rise to criminal negligence.

"Alec Baldwin has said that he doesn't believe that anyone else - including himself - will face criminal charges for the shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins."

Alec Baldwin hired private investigator after 'Rust' shooting, doesn't think he'll be criminally charged​

"I hired a private investigator," Baldwin told CNN, later adding that the last 10 months have "taken years off my life."

Based on the findings of Baldwin's private investigator, he doesn't believe anyone will be criminally charged. Santa Fe County prosecutors have not indicated which way their investigation is leaning.

Baldwin went on to reveal that he's lost five jobs in less than a year because of the accident.

"I got fired from another job yesterday," he said. "There I was all set to go to a movie, jump on a plane ... I've been talking with these guys for months and they told me yesterday we don't want to do the film with you because of this."

The actor reiterated to CNN that there are two people responsible for Halyna's death: assistant director Dave Halls, who handed him the gun and declared it "cold" meaning it had no live ammo, and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who served as the armorer and props assistant on the film.

"Why didn't [Gutierrez Reed] check that bullet? Why didn't Halls obey her?" Baldwin asked. "Why did he give me the gun? Why didn't he check? Why did he tell the crew [it was a cold gun]?"

"I'm pretty confident neither one of them should ever work in a film set again," Baldwin said. "I sincerely believe ... [investigators are] going to say that this was an accident. It's tragic."

The actor noted that he does not want to "condemn" Gutierrez Reed.

"I mean maybe it's the Catholic in me," Baldwin explained. "I have an impulse to say, I don't want to see anybody suffer. I don't want to sit there and say you know, go get her and condemn her."

Lawyers for Halls and Gutierrez Reed told the outlet Baldwin is trying to shift blame off of himself.

Last edited:

Alec Baldwin hired private investigator after 'Rust' shooting, doesn't think he'll be criminally charged​

"I hired a private investigator," Baldwin told CNN, later adding that the last 10 months have "taken years off my life."

Taken years off of HIS life?
The cajones on this one!!???

RIP Halyna

Might be a dumb question, but has anyone else seen this happen on any movie or t.v. set before? I watch a lot of shows/movies that always include people firing guns, and so I suppose somebody has to be responsible for making sure it gets to the actor and is not loaded with live ammo, right? I don't recall ever seeing a similar situation. Maybe somebody just don't like Mr. Baldwin and wanted to mess him up somehow. But I am kind of leaning toward it being a big mistake. Period. Why should he have to take sole responsibility since the gun obviously has to pass through a couple more hands before being given to him to "fire" and he probably had no idea that it was a live round. JMO, I'm not a big fan of his but I hate to see a person's career be ruined because of some freak thing like this. No offense to anyone else.

‘Rust’ Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Says …
Thu, August 18, 2022, 8:00 PM

1660948461088.png

‘Rust’ Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Says Santa Fe Sheriff’s Indifference to DNA Test of Live Rounds ‘Raises a Serious Problem’​

“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed said the Santa Fe Sheriff’s indifference to DNA testing the live rounds found on set “raises a serious problem” in a statement released Thursday.

“The primary question in this case from the beginning has been where did the live rounds that ended upon the Rust set come from?” Gutierrez-Reed said in a statement released through her attorney and emailed to TheWrap. “As can be seen from the attached emails, the Sheriff’s office made a conscious decision not to pursue this question at all by refusing to ask the FBI to test any of the rounds for fingerprints or DNA.”

Given that the investigation knows “for certain” there were live rounds on set, Gutierrez-Reed called out the Sheriff’s indifference to testing, saying, “It is inconceivable that the Sheriff would not seek answers to this fundamental question and it raises a serious problem with the entire investigation.”

Might be a dumb question, but has anyone else seen this happen on any movie or t.v. set before? I watch a lot of shows/movies that always include people firing guns, and so I suppose somebody has to be responsible for making sure it gets to the actor and is not loaded with live ammo, right? I don't recall ever seeing a similar situation. Maybe somebody just don't like Mr. Baldwin and wanted to mess him up somehow. But I am kind of leaning toward it being a big mistake. Period. Why should he have to take sole responsibility since the gun obviously has to pass through a couple more hands before being given to him to "fire" and he probably had no idea that it was a live round. JMO, I'm not a big fan of his but I hate to see a person's career be ruined because of some freak thing like this. No offense to anyone else.

Well, as a Producer on a movie, Baldwin is part of the hiring process and part of the process of supervision. If the employees -- assistant director, armorer, and actor did not follow industry safety protocols, well, their supervisor is at fault.

Anyone report why Baldwin did not complete safety training on the Rust set? IIRC, Armorer Gutierrez-Reid scheduled this THREE TIMES for Baldwin....

Yeah, if fault is found -- Baldwin has earned a share for himself imho. (Even before he whined to the press about how difficult this has been for his family & himself!)

jmho ymmv lrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member