Alex Trebek, 'Jeopardy!' host, has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 6, 2019.

1. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

Amazing, my GM had stage 4 I took care of her it was horrible , I mean Horrible !!! I hope he beats it , I can't imagine anyone working with .

2. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

I'm just heartbroken. Although I know he will fight it, I also know the prognosis is grim. As a lifelong nerd and know-it-all, Jeopardy has been part of my life for so many years, and it will never be the same without Alex's mix of snarky you-should've-known that tone, sympathy and interest in the contestants, and self-deprecating humor.

Any X-Files fans on here? Jose Chung's from Outer Space with him as a guest star is one of my favorite hours of TV ever.

3. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

I love Jeopardy and agree that it would not be the same without its beloved host, Alex Trebek. May he beat this horrible diagnosis and disease.

4. Livness

Livness Member

My beautiful mummy died from pancreatic cancer in 2011, just under three weeks after her 54th birthday. My twin and I was 22. She was diagnosed a couple of weeks before our 21st - she survived for 17 months. My mum was a primary school teacher - she stopped work in the June after we found out that the treatment was no longer making any difference. She died in the August.

I cannot describe how evil pancreatic cancer is. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Around 16% of people survive for a year. Around 4% survive for 5 years (UK statistics, I am unsure of the USA or other countries). It is notoriously late to diagnosis because the pancreas is so hidden away that by the time symptoms become noticeable, it is often because it is spreading or pressing against other organs. One of the most common symptoms is back pain, but you don't get back pain and think 'pancreatic cancer'.

5. The Farm

The Farm Well-Known Member

My father died of pancreatic cancer July 2015. He was diagnosed in October 2014 and even had that terrible complicated Whipple procedure. It was awful from beginning to end.
    The worse part was he had been losing weight and bathroom issues and was back and forth to the doctor, he would take blood and say your fine your fine just getting old. Then he started turning yellow and the rest is history, he wanted to live but by the time pancreatic is even found it seems like it is to late. I hope for the best.
    ETA....I love Jeopardy and it would not be the same without him.

6. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and I am terribly sorry to hear about your mom’s passing.

I am not positive but I think Patrick Swayze had pancreatic cancer and died from it several years ago. I could be wrong too but I’m too lazy to look it up. Anyway I remember in an interview shortly after he was diagnosed he said one of the symptoms was that he drank a glass of champagne during a celebration and he felt a terrible burning sensation when he swallowed. For some reason that has always stayed with me. Not sure about his other symptoms.

7. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  8. BetteDavisEyes

Swayze: Outlived Most With Pancreatic Cancer

Patrick Swayze passed away Monday at the age of 57, but his 20-month battle with pancreatic cancer showed how tough the disease is -- and how unusual it is for people to survive with it as long as he did...

9. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry so many of you have lost a loved one to this horrendous disease. I hope and pray they will find a way to help people live longer with it if a cure isn’t possible.

10. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

11. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

:(

ETA:
    Pancreatic can take over fast. Lost a good friend to this. It happened very quickly. Moo.

I am always thinking how great AT looks for his age. Poor guy. He is loved by many. Wishing him comfort. Very sad to hear this news.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  12. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

That makes me so very sad.

Like many of you I grew up with Alex and Jeopardy. My hubby and I still watch it while we eat dinner and the pleasure of stumping the panel never gets old, lol!

I wish Alex the best. And when his time comes, we will genuinely miss Johnny Gilbert's announcement:

"And here is the host of Jeopardy, Alex Trebek!"

13. CCJD

CCJD Well-Known Member

watcher9 likes this.
  14. BetteDavisEyes

Several months ago - before the cancer diagnosis - Alex Trebek talked about retirement and who he thought should replace him as Jeopardy! host.

Alex Trebek has suggested two possible replacements when he calls it quits on 'Jeopardy!'

ETA: Additional reports about AT retiring and possible replacements.

Alex Trebek suggests who should replace him on 'Jeopardy!'

https://www.today.com/popculture/al...-jeopardy-recommends-his-replacements-t134687

Alex Trebek reveals his picks for the next 'Jeopardy!' host

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  15. BetteDavisEyes

Hap, MsMarple, watcher9 and 1 other person like this.
  16. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Well-Known Member

Interesting suggestions from Alex!

17. BetteDavisEyes

LaborDayRN and watcher9 like this.
  18. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

19. BetteDavisEyes

20. Hap

Hap Wisher & Dreamer

One of my parents passed away after a 4 year fight against pancreatic cancer, which included the incredibly grueling Whipple surgery. We were blessed with the extra time but... it's a bit*# of a disease. Just brutal.