All Things Britney Spears Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it sums up why you can disapprove of someone's actions without feeling that they are a bad person or stop caring for them.

Maybe it depends on who's saying it and how they say it? I grew up hearing it used and came to dislike it also. I had an acquaintance in college that used it all the time about gays. And my roommate would say it; she got it from her church. Both would say it as a preface to then say something nasty.

I realize that's not what you're doing, angelmom, or you wouldn't have mentioned your own children!

I see how it could be said in a hateful way, and I appreciate you knowing I didn't mean it that way.

When I say it to my own kids, it is definitely in the way of telling them that they are loved unconditionally, even when I am fuming mad about something they've done.

Oh thank goodness, angelmom. I wasn't trying to be rude at all!!

I, too, am curious about scm's reasons.

Wow. That's the sweetest argument I've ever heard. I'm not sure why you don't like it. I think it sums up why you can disapprove of someone's actions without feeling that they are a bad person or stop caring for them.

I find it describes my children quite often. :innocent:

BTW, love you too sweetie! Even when you disagree with me. :blowkiss:

(Rodney King would be so proud!)

Oh man - I hear you on that one. After I posted about hating that maxim, I was thinking about the reasons why and one of the big reasons I came up with is that most people aren't capable of separating the two - with the exception of loving parents towards their children!! LOL!

I think that's it, though - most of the time when I hear "Love the sinner, hate the sin" the person saying it isn't loving anyone - they are judging and making the "sinner" try to feel less than. I hear it a lot from Christians about homosexuality and I always have a hard time believing that those Christians love the gays to the bottom of their hearts but really just hate that sodomy thing (even though heteros do the same things in the bedroom!) Blah!:snooty:

I don't know if I'm making any sense. But I will say this. If people were able to treat all others with the patience and genuine love and interconnectedness a parent has towards their child, then that saying would not seem so disdainful, dismissive and like BS wrapped in a pithy package to me.

But now that one of my favorite posters has said it, I will have to continue to re-evaluate my stance and search my conscience!;)

I think it sums up why you can disapprove of someone's actions without feeling that they are a bad person or stop caring for them.
Maybe it depends on who's saying it and how they say it? I grew up hearing it used and came to dislike it also. I had an acquaintance in college that used it all the time about gays. And my roommate would say it; she got it from her church. Both would say it as a preface to then say something nasty.

I realize that's not what you're doing, angelmom, or you wouldn't have mentioned your own children!

Thanks reportertype - I read your post after making mine. Of course, I know angelmom enough to know her intentions in saying that were completely loving, but I've heard it so often as a preface to saying a bunch of nasty rude stuff that I just can't separate the saying from the terrible taste it leaves in my mouth!

I don't think I've ever heard nasty things said after "hate the sin, love the sinner". Every time I've heard that and everytime I've said it, it's been said without complete and utter love for the person or about the situation. I'm really sorry if there are people out there that use it like that. If they follow that statement up with anything but love, then they obviously don't believe what they just said.

I am not disgusted or angry with Jamie Lynn. I'm very thankful she is keeping this little baby. I just wish she had better supporters and examples in her life.

I don't envy the next few years as they will be difficult, although having some money might ease some of that pain. I hope she's able to help this child grow up to be a little more responsible. I really hope there's a good father-figure in the child's life as well. It would help to have a good start, but I know it can be done if there isn't.

Speaking of which, everyone's ridiculing their mom, but where's their dad in all this? He should be in this discussion too!

......Speaking of which, everyone's ridiculing their mom, but where's their dad in all this? He should be in this discussion too!

Taxi,

Word on the gossip sites is that Jamie Lynn's Dad is very sad about the situation and livid that she and Lynn Spears sold the story to OK. I also hate that 99% of the scathing parent criticism I read is lobbed at Lynn - we women sure are lucky to have to bear the burdens of the world all alone, no?:rolleyes:

I'm sure any father in the world would have some tough feelings about a pregnant 16-year-old daughter, but I am sure he will come around.

I think the funniest part is that Lynn Spears Parenting book has been put on hold LMAO!

Me, too! I just about wet my pants when I heard that! The very fact that this mom thought she had anything to say about parenting is funny enough, but the timing of this is just so ironic.....

If they follow that statement up with anything but love, then they obviously don't believe what they just said.

Absolutely, Taxi - that's my belief too. But - IMHO - that statement has been co-opted by a judgmental, hateful spirit.

I sat through a sermon once - 30 minutes of lambasting sinners who are addicted, having sex b/4 marriage, engaging in adultery, etc...etc...the giver of this sermon talked about how these sinners (not the sins, mind you, the sinners) were the scourge of the earth and bringing darkness to the land. Blah, blah, blah. And the sermon ended with "Love the sinner, hate the sin" but not a word was said in ministering about that action.

Believe me - most of us know that questionable moral behavior like lying, stealing, cheating on your spouse brings about negative results for the individual and for society. What we need to learn more about is loving people unconditionally in the face of their consistant human failings. I want to hear more about that because when Jesus was asked what he was really all about, it made his Top 2 list.

Anyway - I will dismount from my soapbox. Of course I know that you, Taxi, would only use that statement lovingly. I wish I could say that had been my experience of the statement in the world.

I remember earlier this year seeing a poll question re: which Hollywood whack job was in the most trouble Lohan, Paris H, Britney. At the time, I thought Lohan: drugs arrests, etc. Britney hadn't gotten into law trouble at the time.

Today, I'd definitely vote for Britney. She's just totally incomprehensible.

Can you blame them??? I think they did a magnificent job at keeping her in the game, but it is time for someone to step in and make the kids a priority...I am someone with a 30K foot view of this situation, but come on-she does not want those lovelies, at least right now. She needs an attorney that will help her find a way to walk away from them with supervised visitation, and then she can work on being an influence in their lives again after she has crashed, burned and hopefully survived...

Can you blame them??? I think they did a magnificent job at keeping her in the game, but it is time for someone to step in and make the kids a priority...I am someone with a 30K foot view of this situation, but come on-she does not want those lovelies, at least right now. She needs an attorney that will help her find a way to walk away from them with supervised visitation, and then she can work on being an influence in their lives again after she has crashed, burned and hopefully survived...

She hasn't had these lawyers for long. one the previous lawyers quit in September and between her and this one she had another set.

so this is her third lawyer to drop her.

Holy , I just came across this on the web and hopped on back here. I hope the babies are alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong