All things Joe Paterno

Freeh's opinion comes through in what he says and what he doesn't. As you said, he stuck quotes in about how Curley was Paterno's errand boy, how Paterno "knew everything" that went on around the football program, how the only intervening factor between the plan to report and the decision not to was Curley's conversation.

It would have been easy to also point out that we don't know what advice Paterno gave Curley, or whether Curley heeded it. He could have stressed how Curley never said "Joe thinks" or "Joe wants", pinning the change on Curley. Instead, Freeh tucked in the "errand boy" comments, at that location in the report. Just presenting evidence, or making the connections for us?

He also, in his reply to the Paterno's family report, stated:Mr. Paterno was on notice for at least 13 years that Sandusky, one of his longest serving assistants, and whose office was steps away, was a probable serial pedophile. Mr. Paterno was aware of the criminal 1998 investigation into Sandusky's suspected child sexual abuse. Indeed, the evidence shows that Mr. Paterno closely followed that case.

We have already pointed out that there is little to no evidence that Paterno was ever more than simply briefed that Sandusky was being investigated. Even the police and DA didn't believe in 98 that Sandusky was a pedophile, but Freeh outright claims that Paterno should have, for 13 years, which prior to his death, would have been 98.

Notice that Freeh says he "was aware of the criminal 1998 investigation into Sandusky's suspected child sexual abuse" - did he mention in that sentence that Sandusky was cleared of all criminal charges and abuse allegations as a result of that investigation? No, because that would be fair and balanced, and wouldn't support the conclusions he is trying to make.

Ok. Paterno didn't follow the investigation closely. I think that's a minor point. IMO, it's much more significant that Paterno denied all knowledge of the investigation in his interview with Sally Jenkins.

Paterno insists he was completely unaware of a 1998 police investigation into a report from a Second Mile mother that Sandusky had inappropriately touched her son in a shower. The inquiry ended when the local prosecutor declined to bring charges. “You know it wasn’t like it was something everybody in the building knew about,” Paterno said. “Nobody knew about it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ky-scandal/2012/01/13/gIQA08e4yP_story_2.html

Here's what Jenkins had to say about Paterno's credibility:

You always have a feeling of, "I wish I did that" after an interview, and I wish that when he said, "I never heard of 'rape' and a 'man,' " I wish I had pressed him more. It sort of laid on the table. I think everyone there kind of just looked at him, and that was the moment I should've said, "Come on, you studied the classics; you know your Virgil. How can you say that?" But I didn't because I was focused on my master list of questions, but I should've been more responsive.

I don't regret doing the story. I do think I pressed him on the most important thing of all: his timeline and his chronology. To get him on record saying he knew absolutely nothing of the previous investigation of 1998, that was really important in establishing how we need to view him. Because the Freeh Report suggested that he did know and he was aware.

There's no question in my mind that he did not level with me. No question. I am very sure on that point. A lot of people at Penn State want me to be unsure, but I'm positive. I know exactly what he was telling me that day. He was denying in no uncertain terms that he ever heard anything about Sandusky and little boys.

http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/jenkins_helps_summit_sum_it_up.php

Why did Paterno lie about his knowledge of an investigation which resulted in Sandusky being cleared of all charges?

And how about this comment from his response:As detailed in my report, the e-mails and contemporary documents from 2001 show that, despite Mr. Paterno's knowledge and McQueary's observations, four of the most powerful officials at Penn State agreed not to report Sandusky's activity to public officials.

Did you see the documentation where Paterno emailed the other three to discuss their agreement not to report? Or the meeting that he attended with the others? Me neither, but Freeh states this "agreement" as a fact, leading others to accept it despite the lack of evidence. While one can believe Paterno went along with a plan, others can believe that he left the decision up to the other three. Why are Freeh's conclusions more valid than ours, unless he withheld evidence from his Report?

If he left it up to the other three, then he obviously agreed with not reporting. If he believed that they should have reported the allegation, then he should have reported it himself, regardless of what the other three believed.

Unless, of course, he had no concern for Sandusky's victims.

Respectfully snipped.

Ok. Paterno didn't follow the investigation closely. I think that's a minor point. IMO, it's much more significant that Paterno denied all knowledge of the investigation in his interview with Sally Jenkins.

Well, he did not claim that in the grand jury. He said that he couldn't be sure. After 13 years, with just fourth-hand information and at his age, that is a real possibility.

If he left it up to the other three, then he obviously agreed with not reporting. If he believed that they should have reported the allegation, then he should have reported it himself, regardless of what the other three believed.

Unless, of course, he had no concern for Sandusky's victims.

I think this comes to the points of acquiescence and of culpability. I will agree that Paterno should have known that the 2001 incident was not reported. He may have trusted that Curley, Schultz and Spanier would do the right thing, but he should have known better.

The movie starring Al Pacino as Phil Spector debuts this weekend on HBO. From Spector to Paterno. Wow.

Al_Pacino_pacino_spector.jpg

Has Pacino ever made a movie that isn't about crime?

OK...stunned is one thing...joining a conspiracy (if not directing one) to obstruct justice and protect your legacy and power is another.

so youve processed Gricars failure to prosecute and joes failure to do due diligence (at least) as psychologically impared decisions. thats how you understand them?

frankly, I dont buy it. but i do understand how someone closer to the story than me ( a disappointed stater) might.

Initially, at least, Paterno didn't join it. Curley went to Paterno with the plan on his own. There was no, "Run it past Joe first" suggestion. I'm far from certain that he suggested not reporting it. He did have to know that after that meeting, nothing was done.

I don't say anything about Gricar's reaction, but my own processing of the news. I did not think that it was possible for him not to have prosecuted such a strong case.

So Ziegler went on the March 25 Today show to raise funds for his documentary about Paterno, and NBC played about one minute total clips from over 3 hours of his interviews with Sandusky. And Zeigler promoted the show by implying that he would give out the name of victim 2:
"He also issued a statement to the media advising them on “How to do a hit piece on John Ziegler.” That statement, released before the "Today Show" appearance, suggests Ziegler was going to state, on the air, the name of so-called Victim No. 2 – the boy in the shower with Sandusky. NBC’s Matt Lauer, however, reminded him in clear and direct language that such a thing would not be allowed due to company standards to not identify the victims of sexual assault.

With so little coming from Sandusky, the "Today Show" piece seemed to be mostly about Ziegler, who is looking to discuss Paterno while Lauer wanted to discuss Sandusky.

“I have no doubt that Jerry Sandusky was guilty of many of the things, if not all the things, he was accused of,” Ziegler said. “I do believe there was due process problems with the trial.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...s-pointless-as-they-are-creepy-145312979.html

Ziegler attempted to respond on the Onwardstate web site. He is being roasted alive. http://onwardstate.com/community/the-real-truth-behind-my-victim-2-story/

I happened to run across that today from googlenews and just glanced at it....his usual bragging and excuses, then I got to this part:

Jim Clemente, the “Paterno Report” sex crimes expert, with whom I was in constant communication both before and after the Sandusky interview, also told me that it was legitimate to do this [reveal #2's name], though he also warned me that I would be criticized for it.

Again, can somebody explain to me why Clemente is working with this guy? And he told Ziegler it was alright to give the name of the victim? Some child abuse supporter...NOT...

Clemente does back him up. It is possible; the redacted Gricar FBI file does have the name of a woman listed as a close personal associate, who they missed when redacting it.

A transcript of Paterno's interview with Sassano was released today. It was from 10/24/11, before Sandusky was indicted and 9 months after testified before the grand jury.

http://www.framingpaterno.com/betrayal-joe-paterno-how-it-all-probably-happened

A key quote is:

J. PATERNO: Mike McQueary came and said he was in the shower and that Jerry Sandusky was in the shower with another person, a younger, how young I don’t know and Mike never mentioned it, that there was some inappropriate sexual activity going on. We didn’t get in to what the inappropriate action was, but it was inappropriate. And that’s how I knew about it.

The below blog notes how this undermines the argument that Paterno was fed the line by McQueary before his grand jury testimony

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_phil...hed-interview-conducted-paterno-weeks-firing/

He also says that he never talked to Curley.

That interview is interesting. What about this exchange in the middle between Sassano, JoePa, and SuePa?

SASSANO: Subsequent to Mr. McQueary coming to you and you advising Mr. Curley of this inappropriate sexual action, whatever that maybe..

J. PATERNO: Mr. Curley did not come to me, I went to Mr. Curley, I got in touch..

S. PATERNO: You misheard what he said, he said Mr. McQueary came to you.

J. PATERNO: Who?

S. PATERNO: He said Mr. McQueary came to you.

SASSANO: Mike.

S. PATERNO: You misheard him

J. PATERNO: He did not come to me.

S. PATERNO: Mike McQueary.

J. PATERNO: Ohhh, McQueary, I thought you said Curley.

S. PATERNO: Not Curley. He’s not used to hearing Mike called Mr. McQueary.

Does anyone remember Tim Conway's "Oldest Man in different professions" bit on the Carol Burnett Show (I'm dating myself, I know)? I could see Tim Conway as the Oldest Coach in America, Carol Burnett as Sue Pa, and Harvey Korman as Sassano. Korman, of course, would be snickering at the exchange.

On a serious note, I think Paterno threw Curley under the bus. It would be interesting what Curley has to say during his trial. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will just let the bus roll right on over him without much of a protest.

Some people just don't get it.

Penn State fans plan ‘Joe-out’ for UMass game Saturday

"But on Saturday, as Penn State meets the University of Massachusetts for the second home game of the season, alumni and fans like Stannell and others want to see Paterno everywhere they turn."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/09/...fans-plan-joe-out-for.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Some comments quoted in the stories:

Tammy_Sanner McCrae_928: My first instinct when this story broke was to defend Paterno because I couldn't believe that this Penn State hero could be complacent in the abuse of a child. But as time has gone on, I've had to accept that the welfare of a child far outweighs the Penn State legacy. As a Penn State Alum I wish I could get on board with this effort, but as a human being I believe there has to be consequences for allowing this abuse to go on. Paterno is a scape goat, that is for sure, but he was in a position of power and could have spoken out more to put a stop to this abuse. My heart breaks for the children and the families of the children.

And

Butcher: What a bad, bad idea. Very many of us would be appalled if such a demonstration is carried out, I hope the game is not televised. Such behavior would reflect very poor judgement by those who fans do so. This is not the way for PSU to move forward, it would be falling backward

And

Arthur Radley: Please support James Franklin. He is our coach now. Don't dwell on the past.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...out_event_a_good_id.html#incart_most-comments

And from yesterday:

fenris1: Saw the picture of the billboard and it makes me sad. I'm one of the biggest Penn State & Paterno fans that there was, but the truth is we can no longer say it was 61 years of success with honor. We just can't. It was 50 years with honor (or however many is the right number) but the University, the Pennsylvania State University administration, acted dishonorably. With Spanier, Schultz, and Curley gone, we have now started again on success with honor, but to see this billboard really looks to me as though those who say this are pretending the University never was dishonored. It was.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...e_joe_out_a_good_idea_a_p.html#incart_m-rpt-1

There was another of similar sentiment.

These are people self identifying as alumni in some cases.

Some comments quoted in the stories:

Tammy_Sanner McCrae_928: My first instinct when this story broke was to defend Paterno because I couldn't believe that this Penn State hero could be complacent in the abuse of a child. But as time has gone on, I've had to accept that the welfare of a child far outweighs the Penn State legacy. As a Penn State Alum I wish I could get on board with this effort, but as a human being I believe there has to be consequences for allowing this abuse to go on. Paterno is a scape goat, that is for sure, but he was in a position of power and could have spoken out more to put a stop to this abuse. My heart breaks for the children and the families of the children.

And

Butcher: What a bad, bad idea. Very many of us would be appalled if such a demonstration is carried out, I hope the game is not televised. Such behavior would reflect very poor judgement by those who fans do so. This is not the way for PSU to move forward, it would be falling backward

And

Arthur Radley: Please support James Franklin. He is our coach now. Don't dwell on the past.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...out_event_a_good_id.html#incart_most-comments

And from yesterday:

fenris1: Saw the picture of the billboard and it makes me sad. I'm one of the biggest Penn State & Paterno fans that there was, but the truth is we can no longer say it was 61 years of success with honor. We just can't. It was 50 years with honor (or however many is the right number) but the University, the Pennsylvania State University administration, acted dishonorably. With Spanier, Schultz, and Curley gone, we have now started again on success with honor, but to see this billboard really looks to me as though those who say this are pretending the University never was dishonored. It was.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...e_joe_out_a_good_idea_a_p.html#incart_m-rpt-1

There was another of similar sentiment.

These are people self identifying as alumni in some cases.

I'm sensing a change in feeling on the PSU football message boards. Perhaps a slight change, but it's noticeable. Penn State is winning football games, which helps. More of the fans are looking toward the future than the past.

I see they did it:

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/09/20/4364228_fans-keep-joepa-memories-alive.html?rh=1

Wonder how that makes Coach Franklin feel after he led them to a 48-7 win?

The news photos show about a half dozen people. The CDT ask readers to send them photos. Six have been submitted. Of the six, one was captioned 2012 and was a group of 4 people, in heavy clothing standing next to the statue that was removed in 2012.

One supporter said she was "disappointed," because the only one she saw was her husband.

It wasn't a "Joe out" as much as it was a "Pater-no."

Please do not assume that this represents a majority of the alumni. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back