Alzheimer's patients to get GPS shoes

Discussion in 'News that makes you smile!' started by Paintr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Paintr

Paintr New Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/06/2591269.htm

"The technology will provide the location of the individual wearing the shoes within 30 feet, anywhere on the planet," said Andrew Carle, an assistant professor at George Mason University who served as an adviser on the project.

"Sixty per cent of individuals afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease will be involved in a 'critical wandering incident' at least once during the progression of the disease - many more than once," he said.

2. Loading...

3. kageykaren

kageykaren Lindsey Love, Universal Child your are the star &

It is something to apply the simplest of answers to an increasing problem. This just isn't good for the patient but as important for their care providers. This allows a family caregiver one little area of their brain to relax a bit, knowing that if during their 24 hr. caregiving something may happen to them, leaving the pt. alone. Kudos to our scientist.

4. amandab

amandab Well-Known Member

I think this is an admirable idea, but it does assume that the patients are going to remember to put their shoes *on*.

5. AmandaBrown23

AmandaBrown23 Im just living among all the madness

I think this is a good idea. This poor man I met at the store one day was asking me how he could get home and poor baby only lived right down the road but could not remember how to get there. I showed him the way.

6. seekeroftruth

seekeroftruth New Member

Wish this had been available before my Dad went missing almost 3 years ago!

7. kittenish

kittenish New Member

Did you ever find him?