American Airlines altercation with mother of twin babies

DatelineFan

Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-attendant-passengers-altercation/100779840/

The video, uploaded by Facebook user Surain Adyanthaya, shows a woman holding a baby and seen crying in front of the plane, preparing to fly from San Francisco to Dallas-Forth Worth, WFAA-TV reported.

According to Adyanthaya, the incident allegedly started after a flight attendant "violently took a stroller from a lady with her baby" and "hitting her and just missing the baby."

Video is linked in the story. WOW. I'm not sure what exactly occurred initially, but this does not look good.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

hard to say much without knowing exactly what happened in the initial altercation, male passenger was wrong for using threatening language, airline employee was wrong for responding in kind.

hard to say much without knowing exactly what happened in the initial altercation, male passenger was wrong for using threatening language, airline employee was wrong for responding in kind.
Right. I'd like to see the initial interaction.

For now, I think that mother was probably really stressed out. She appeared to be alone, traveling with twins. That's quite brave of her! I think if she didn't want to give up the stroller, someone could have spoken calmly with her. Different accounts say the FA basically wrestled it from her. And judging his reaction to the other passenger, perhaps this is not the job for him. You're in customer service. People are going to be incredibly rude sometimes, and you have to learn to stay calm. He did NOT.

I'm torn about the other passenger's behavior. Obviously it was dramatic and out of line. But I can understand him feeling quite protective of this woman, if things did, in fact, go down the way witnesses say.

I agree. That passenger had no right to threaten anyone and just made the situation worse. The airline employee should have known enough to just ignore him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...sed-of-hitting-woman-with-stroller/ar-BBA9DJV

'Another passenger can be heard saying “he smacked her in the face with the stroller.” '

ETA: The male passenger who threatened the FA was clearly in the wrong, imo. I agree with him demanding to know the FA's name so that the FA could be reported. But, threatening to flatten the FA? Wrong. The FA's aggressive reaction toward the male passenger seems to lend credence to him behaving inappropriately toward the mother as was noted by more than one passenger. American Airlines will hopefully investigate this properly. I am glad the FA was suspended. He may be too hot-headed for that job.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...sed-of-hitting-woman-with-stroller/ar-BBA9DJV

'Another passenger can be heard saying “he smacked her in the face with the stroller.” '

ETA: The male passenger who threatened the FA was clearly in the wrong, imo. I agree with him demanding to know the FA's name so that the FA could be reported. But, threatening to flatten the FA? Wrong. The FA's aggressive reaction toward the male passenger seems to lend credence to him behaving inappropriately toward the mother as was noted by more than one passenger. American Airlines will hopefully investigate this properly. I am glad the FA was suspended. He may be too hot-headed for that job.

I saw this on the news and they reported the mom may not have understood instructions to leave the stroller at the gate. She may be from Argentina.

I don't agree with what the male passenger did, but I do think it came from a basically good place. I would get angry if I saw someone hit a mom and almost hit a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this on the news and they reported the mom may not have understood instructions to leave the stroller at the gate. She may be from Argentina.

I don't agree with what the male passenger did, but I do think it came from a basically good place. I would get angry if I saw someone hit a mom and almost hit a baby.

Her accent sounded more like someone from Australia rather than Argentina. I don't know what happened but it sure seems like she was trying to co-operate. The only thing I could hear her say was 'Could I please just have my stroller back". The airline employee struck me as being a bully---glad he's suspended.

Even not knowing the beginning of the scene, I applaud all that the male passenger did, except perhaps the verbal threat stated to the male FA to “knock you flat”.

With our hindsight view though, I’m actually glad the male passenger delivered the verbal threat because it provided an opportunity for all to see the short-tempered unprofessionalism of the male FA. It could be that the male FA is an otherwise nice guy, but I kinda doubt it. His fuse was too short. He could have previously exhibited mild behavior problems while in cabin with other customers, and this event just escalated to exhibiting his true potential in a not-extreme situation.

I’m a ‘rally ‘round the underdog’ type of person. I’ve rooted for the underdog (even strangers) more times than I can recall. It’s rare to witness a bystander sticking up for someone else in a low-level public predicament.

It’s good the male FA has been removed from duty, but if the male passenger had not reacted a bit over the top, the male FA might not have even gotten a reprimand for his unacceptable actions prior to the threat. The colleagues of the male FA could be glad he got exposed for his true nature.

More bystanders should stick up for others who are being mistreated. Typically, polite conversation does not effect change. I believe being not so mild mannered is often a good thing in these types of situations.

Obviously JMO!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-attendant-passengers-altercation/100779840/
American Airlines suspends worker after altercation seen on video
Published 5:05 a.m. ET April 22, 2017 | Updated 10 minutes ago
"The actions of our team member captured here do not appear to reflect patience or empathy, two values necessary for customer care," the statement added. "In short, we are disappointed by these actions. The American team member has been removed from duty while we immediately investigate this incident.”

I understand why so many think that the male passenger was out of place, but I was glad to see someone try to come to this mother's aid. He probably should have been more low key but it looked like chivalry to me.

I understand why so many think that the male passenger was out of place, but I was glad to see someone try to come to this mother's aid. He probably should have been more low key but it looked like chivalry to me.

He just made things worse. Looks like they were trying to resolve it with the mother and when he jumps up and starts screaming, the mother just gets more upset and the situation escalates.

If he could have intervened in calm manner, that would have been chivalry. Causing the mother to become even more upset? Not so much.

Even not knowing the beginning of the scene, I applaud all that the male passenger did, except perhaps the verbal threat stated to the male FA to “knock you flat”.

With our hindsight view though, I’m actually glad the male passenger delivered the verbal threat because it provided an opportunity for all to see the short-tempered unprofessionalism of the male FA. It could be that the male FA is an otherwise nice guy, but I kinda doubt it. His fuse was too short. He could have previously exhibited mild behavior problems while in cabin with other customers, and this event just escalated to exhibiting his true potential in a not-extreme situation.

I’m a ‘rally ‘round the underdog’ type of person. I’ve rooted for the underdog (even strangers) more times than I can recall. It’s rare to witness a bystander sticking up for someone else in a low-level public predicament.

It’s good the male FA has been removed from duty, but if the male passenger had not reacted a bit over the top, the male FA might not have even gotten a reprimand for his unacceptable actions prior to the threat. The colleagues of the male FA could be glad he got exposed for his true nature.

More bystanders should stick up for others who are being mistreated. Typically, polite conversation does not effect change. I believe being not so mild mannered is often a good thing in these types of situations.

Obviously JMO!

American Airlines suspends worker after altercation seen on video
Published 5:05 a.m. ET April 22, 2017 | Updated 10 minutes ago
"The actions of our team member captured here do not appear to reflect patience or empathy, two values necessary for customer care," the statement added. "In short, we are disappointed by these actions. The American team member has been removed from duty while we immediately investigate this incident.”

Imo you captured the essence of the situation and the potential aftermath extremely well. Thank-you.

Sympathy for anyone travelling by air w babies or children. (Or flying, even without.)

Skimming thru above links, IIRC a passenger said it was a double stroller, but now I do not see ref to 'double'. Anyone? If side-to-side-double stroller, hard to imagine it could roll down the aisle. If fore-and-aft double stroller, would it be narrow enough to roll in aisle? Seems like few, if any, single strollers could. Putting any stroller in overhead? Doubtful imo. Seems likely gate agent already told Mom at gate about gate-checking stroller but IDK.

Anyone remember 20 or 30 years ago - trying to find size restrictions & allowances? Calling airline, waiting on hold? Asking friends & getting inaccurate info? These days: relatively simple, even for a brand-new flyer to search online. Type four words (united airline carryon baggage) & hit 'send' in a search engine to display U/A's policy. https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

Carry-on bag

photo_suitcase_size.jpg

"The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels....
"Bag sizers are available in the check-in area, so you can double check the size of your items once you get to the airport.
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit[SUP]2[/SUP]:

• Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)"

Those twins are absolutely adorable. :loveyou: Air travel these days tests the patience of Job & most everyone else.

American Airline's policy on strollers and probably every other airline as well.

Strollers

Each ticketed customer is allowed 1 stroller. Only small, collapsible and light strollers (up to 20lbs/9kgs) can be checked at the gate. Any stroller that weighs over 20lbs/9 kgs, is too large or is non−collapsible must be checked at the ticket counter.

Customers are allowed 1 stroller and 1 car seat per ticketed passenger. Both items may be checked at the ticket counter or one item can be checked at the gate and one at the counter. These items are checked at no charge, when traveling with a child or to adopt.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/traveling-children.jsp

It seems common sense to me that you can't take a stroller on board no matter what language you speak. Normally families with small children are allowed to board first giving them time to get situated. Flight attendants are there to help facilitate the boarding process as smoothly and quickly as possible. That's part of their job.

There is no video that I could find of the interaction between the FA and the mother. My hunch is the mother was overly emotional and the FA didn't have much patience as he was trying to board passengers quickly. I don't think the FA intentionally hit the mother with the stroller. jmo

This mom was traveling by herself with TWINS. There may not have been another way for her to get her TWINS to their seats except in their double stroller. Someone should have offered to help her get her TWINS on the plane. The flight attendant was a bully.

This mom was traveling by herself with TWINS. There may not have been another way for her to get her TWINS to their seats except in their double stroller. Someone should have offered to help her get her TWINS on the plane. The flight attendant was a bully.

Maybe they did offer to help her, we don't know. It doesn't matter how many kids you're flying with, you can't take a stroller on the plane.

The flight attendant was defensive when he was threatened by the passenger. I wouldn't call that being a bully.

His behavior was wildly inappropriate, and he was not in any eminent danger. There were rows between them. I'm not excusing anything, but I think anyone with a job can expect to be fired, or at least formally reprimanded for behaving the way he did.

IMO, the FA, and his meltdown are mostly irrelevant to the stroller.

it doesnt matter what the FA intended to do, if he did "violently" take the stroller from the woman while hitting her with it and almost hitting her young child then he was wrong. multiple witnesses have said that is what happened. there are conflicting reports regarding most of the other details regarding what else happened before the video starts.

AA has made it pretty clear that what they have seen so far is unacceptable to them.

Here's an interesting opinion piece on the guy who stood up to the FA. Personally I admire the guy for standing up for the woman, even though he was over the top. Technically, he didn't directly threaten the FA. According to this article, in the video it looks like the captain is just standing there looking unconcerned. He could have taken over maybe?

That's another reason I love Second-Row Guy. The rest of us conflict-averse, inflatable-neck-pillow milquetoasts would fumble with our iPhones while the baby's mother wailed away. Not this this guy. He appeared completely unrelated to the sobbing woman, but he risked a Dr. Dao-like dragging by security to come to her aid.
Okay, Hero-Guy definitely shouldn't have threatened to knock the flight attendant "flat." That was wrong. But technically speaking, he did phrase it in the conditional: If the flight attendant talked to him that way, he'd knock the flight attendant flat.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/23/opinions/cell-phone-democracy-airlines-opinion-cevallos/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back