And then there were four: 1906 San Francisco quake survivor dead at 109

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Feb 20, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

One of the last survivors of devastating 1906 earthquake
    who 'watched San Francisco burn' dies aged 109
    (Daily Mail)
    much more, with many pictures and a video, at link above

2. Loading...

3. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Our neighbor growing up had survived the quake and fire. I think her name was Mrs. Hanson. She gave me three china plates that had been in the fire, and had been heated enough that ash had attached to the glaze, so at least 900 - 1000 degrees F. The problems that happened during the earthquake and fire, taught California a lot about earthquake survival. From building codes to fire preparation to shut offs on gas pipes, it was a very horrendous and influential event in the early history of our quake prone state.

4. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

I read the book "A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906" by Simon Winchester when it was published. A really great read about not only this fire but he gives a good lesson in conversational style (like a really good professor that all the students fight to get in his class style) about why the quake happened and plates...etc.

I think this might have been the book I read where the author also talked about seismic activity in Texas and Yellowstone area (which raised the hair on my head because I didn't know about yellowstone) I really enjoyed it.