Anne Heche - 53 - dies after fiery car crash in Los Angeles August 5 2022

Heche died due to inhalation of smoke and thermal injuries according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner.
Her manner of death was listed as an accident and also noted that a "sternal fracture due to blunt trauma" was another "significant condition" from the devastating car crash she was involved in on Aug. 5.
Per the National Library of Medicine, sternal fractures typically occur after the chest strikes the steering wheel in motor vehicle collisions. It is believed that 60-90% of all sternal fractures are caused by crashes, with the occurrence tripling with the use of seatbelts, likely due to deceleration forces, the NLM reported.
I suppose it really doesn't matter but I'm trying to understand what the term accident means here. Ruled an accident as in 'not on purpose'? Ruled an accident because car crashes are called 'accidents'? To me, an accident means something like the gas pedal got stuck so therefore the crash happened because she couldn't stop or slow down the car. But (MOO) it seems like she had just floored it herself fleeing prior events that unfolded moments before. So, could someone doing something on purpose be called an accident by the coroner? And would that matter in stating cause of death? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)

And what if it really was something like the gas pedal sticking that caused this 'accident'. I'd think the family would want to know that (lawsuit) as would NHTSA. Is the car even being looked at for something like a mechanical problem, or is this case pretty much closed?

Two examples below of cars going ~100MPH because their gas pedal stuck:

Has anyone read Anne’s book, Call Me Crazy? There is one left on Amazon for $499. There is no kindle version but Alibris has an e-book version of her book for sale.

Her mother Nancy Heche wrote a book, The Truth Comes Out, about her husband and family that has a kindle version on Amazon.

Anne’s sister Susan Bergman also wrote a book, Anonymity, about the family that is sold out on Amazon. There are a few print copies available on Alibris.

I think I borrowed it from the public library after seeing Anne in an interview. I'm so sad that she's dead.

I suppose it really doesn't matter but I'm trying to understand what the term accident means here. Ruled an accident as in 'not on purpose'? Ruled an accident because car crashes are called 'accidents'? To me, an accident means something like the gas pedal got stuck so therefore the crash happened because she couldn't stop or slow down the car. But (MOO) it seems like she had just floored it herself fleeing prior events that unfolded moments before. So, could someone doing something on purpose be called an accident by the coroner? And would that matter in stating cause of death? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)

And what if it really was something like the gas pedal sticking that caused this 'accident'. I'd think the family would want to know that (lawsuit) as would NHTSA. Is the car even being looked at for something like a mechanical problem, or is this case pretty much closed?

Two examples below of cars going ~100MPH because their gas pedal stuck:

I think the point is it wasn't a suicide and not intentional. What caused the accident will likely remain unknown and people will likely draw their own conclusions.

I'm not so sure LE is saying Anne accidentally landed her car in a house. More that there was a traffic accident where Anne drove her car into a house.

17 August 2022

"A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police said the department was continuing to investigate whether drug use contributed to the accident.

Blood tests showed that the actress had cocaine and fentanyl in her system when the high-speed crash occurred on August 5, but officials confirmed that she had not been drinking alcohol, despite being pictured with a vodka bottle in her cupholder.

A new 911 call also revealed that neighbors were not initially aware that Heche was trapped in the car inside the property.

The caller told authorities a 'car just went through my neighbor’s house' and into the 'second room' and that no one was in the car, 911-call records, obtained by Fox News, said.

When asked if the car was inside the house, the caller told the dispatcher that it was '10 feet' inside and moments later the car burst into flames with Heche inside.

Seconds later, it was revealed that Heche was actually inside the car. The caller told dispatchers: 'Somebody is trapped in the car. It’s a big fire.'"

BBM

I'm not so sure LE is saying Anne accidentally landed her car in a house. More that there was a traffic accident where Anne drove her car into a house.

17 August 2022

"A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police said the department was continuing to investigate whether drug use contributed to the accident.

Blood tests showed that the actress had cocaine and fentanyl in her system when the high-speed crash occurred on August 5, but officials confirmed that she had not been drinking alcohol, despite being pictured with a vodka bottle in her cupholder.

A new 911 call also revealed that neighbors were not initially aware that Heche was trapped in the car inside the property.

The caller told authorities a 'car just went through my neighbor’s house' and into the 'second room' and that no one was in the car, 911-call records, obtained by Fox News, said.

When asked if the car was inside the house, the caller told the dispatcher that it was '10 feet' inside and moments later the car burst into flames with Heche inside.

Seconds later, it was revealed that Heche was actually inside the car. The caller told dispatchers: 'Somebody is trapped in the car. It’s a big fire.'"

BBM

I think you may misunderstand the way accident is being used.

The choices for cause of death on an autopsy or death certificate are fairly limited. She didn’t die of natural causes, there is no obvious signs of suicide and she doesn’t appear to have been murdered and it doesn’t appear she died of an overdose.

The LAPD has closed their investigation because they can’t charge a dead woman but I did read that they would document evidence and lab tests as they receive results.

The often repeated cocaine and fentanyl seems to have started with TMZ after they first claimed their LAPD source claimed she was drunk.

A couple members have medical backgrounds have said that fentanyl could have been administered in hospital but in either case, the drugs have never been confirmed by anyone prepared to give an official statement.

I’m sure there will be civil suits as affected parties seek to recover damages but I don’t believe the coroner was incorrect in calling her death an accident.

I found this article quite interesting as it speaks to the gray area and ethics of media reporting on celebrity deaths. There is certainly a bit of self congratulating in the article but it does raise valid points about the timing of media 'obituaries.'

For those like myself, who do not subscribe, I was able to read it incognito.

The movie The Last Word is on HBO, with Shirley MacLaine, and I just now saw Anne. She’s not the main star so I didn’t realize she was in it until I started watching. She plays Shirley MacLaines daughter. :(

I found this article quite interesting as it speaks to the gray area and ethics of media reporting on celebrity deaths. There is certainly a bit of self congratulating in the article but it does raise valid points about the timing of media 'obituaries.'

For those like myself, who do not subscribe, I was able to read it incognito.
Not too long ago, the media announced that actor Tony Dow (Leave It to Beaver) had passed. Actually, Dow was still alive and in hospice care until the following day, when his official death was announced. In their eagerness to be the first to break the news of a celebrity death, the media probably causes undue stress to family members who are just coming to grips with the impending death of a loved one. JMO

Not too long ago, the media announced that actor Tony Dow (Leave It to Beaver) had passed. Actually, Dow was still alive and in hospice care until the following day, when his official death was announced. In their eagerness to be the first to break the news of a celebrity death, the media probably causes undue stress to family members who are just coming to grips with the impending death of a loved one. JMO

In their haste, TMZ reported Kobe Bryant's death police had confirmed identities.

I think the point is it wasn't a suicide and not intentional. What caused the accident will likely remain unknown and people will likely draw their own conclusions.

I think in situations like this, it would be hard to consider it a suicide unless she had left some indication of her intentions like a note at her home, a voice message or discussion with someone.

A few years ago when farmers in my community were struggling there were an awful lot of ugly 'farm accidents' that neighbours knew were suicide but they were all ruled as accidental as well because there was no tangible proof of their intent.

In their haste, TMZ reported Kobe Bryant's death police had confirmed identities.

I can't edit my post but it should have said that TMZ reported Kobe Bryant's death before police had confirmed identities.

I think in situations like this, it would be hard to consider it a suicide unless she had left some indication of her intentions like a note at her home, a voice message or discussion with someone.

A few years ago when farmers in my community were struggling there were an awful lot of ugly 'farm accidents' that neighbours knew were suicide but they were all ruled as accidental as well because there was no tangible proof of their intent.
Agree
There is no note, no evidence of suicide

Janis Joplin's death was considered accidental....
John Belushi, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Whitney Houston...
There is a difference between being self destructive and suicidal..

Self destructive behavior often occurs in people who have substance issues etc. However, it is a slow train-wreck of high risk behavior and it is not considered suicide.

And in Anne's case, there is no evidence that drugs killed her. There is reason to believe she may have been driving while impaired, but she likely did not ingest anything with the intention of committing suicide. Additionally, I don't think she would intentionally drive into someone's home.

Last edited:

There are a lot of other signs of suicide and based on what we know about Anne in her final days and hours, she didn't have any of them. There's no reason to believe this was a suicide. That said, they don't need a note or discussion with others to say it was a suicide if the other signs were there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back