Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately (and by some miracle) no one was injured other than Anne. So we are looking at only property damage as far as I know. So hopefully, AH has good insurance with high limits. I know the loss of the woman's home means she has lost a lot of irreplaceably items, and monetary compensation will not truly make her whole. But at least someone is preparing a funeral for a loved one right now.

Regarding AH, I certainly hope she recovers. Assuming she does, she needs to get some very serious help. I know there has been a lot of discussion of mental health, but she also would appear to have a serious alcohol problem. In addition to that, she seems to have plenty of enablers around her.

I have had some unfortunate personal experience with home damage due to disaster. However, in my case I was lucky enough that the home was able to be fixed/salvaged.

However, in the case of LM's home (that she's renting) - it looks to me like this is irrevocably damaged/ruined beyond repair. I.e., I don't think it's worth bothering trying to fix this. I suspect that fixing/repairing the home would cost more money than razing the remains & building a new one.

Home builders/contractors out there, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited:
I understand the need to make sense of the situation but I believe everyone deserves a proper investigation in order for the courts to do their job.

Without a proper inspection of her vehicle to prove the brakes and throttle were in working order, a shrewd lawyer will utilize that aspect to have charges dropped or reduced.

Without a properly investigating her drug/alcohol consumption at the time of the accident, there is no proof of impairment and a sharp lawyer may be able to pass that off as a 'medical emergency' or an inconclusive investigation.

I dearly hope that in spite of the headlines and juicy gossip that an extremely comprehensive investigation is conducted so those affected by this mess are actually able to see justice.

Have you considered the fact that her mental health history may already give a sharp lawyer the option to invoke an insanity/not cognitive defence? That alone makes me strongly desire that the investigation is as tight as possible.
Even as a defense attorney, I don't think much of sustainable argument could be made on a mechanical failure defense. She continued to operate the vehicle, even after hitting the garage, coming to a stop, backing up and driving away at high speed, then hitting a car and continuing. No one is going to buy that defense. As far as impaired driving, the State will have the evidence or they won't. They don't HAVE to have BAC levels to make that case. But the police and DA will make the decision if there is enough evidence to proceed or not.

But, regardless, the criminal charges are just misdemeanors likely, and the criminal aspect here is minor compared to the civil issues regarding liability/damages and AH's future. Through a criminal case, she could be ordered into rehab etc, but only during a term of probation which may not be very long. This is a person that appears to need some serious rehab and/or mental health care. She should never be behind the wheel of a car again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the reason why the blood tests may take WEEKS? As a recovering alcoholic, I have been hospitalized several times - not for accidents like this, but for withdrawal symptoms. They always drew my blood immediately - they needed to know my blood alcohol level so that they knew which medications were safe/unsafe to give me. They were able to determine my blood alcohol level very quickly each time, along with a full drug screening. I’m not understanding why this will take them weeks to have results.

Even as a defense attorney, I don't think much of sustainable argument could be made on a mechanical failure defense. She continued to operate the vehicle, even after hitting the garage, coming to a stop, backing up and driving away at high speed, then hitting a car and continuing. No one is going to buy that defense. As far as impaired driving, the State will have the evidence or they won't. They don't HAVE to have BAC levels to make that case. But the police and DA will make the decision if there is enough evidence to proceed or not.

But, regardless, the criminal charges are just misdemeanors likely, and the criminal aspect here is minor compared to the civil issues regarding liability/damages and AH's future. Through a criminal case, she could be ordered into rehab etc, but only during a term of probation which may not be very long. This is a person that appears to need some serious rehab and/or mental health care. She should never be behind the wheel of a car again.

I concur but I actually hadn't thought about the immediate charges as much as I was considering civil issues, where courtroom theatrics seem to be quite common these days.

Fortunately (and by some miracle) no one was injured other than Anne. So we are looking at only property damage as far as I know. So hopefully, AH has good insurance with high limits. I know the loss of the woman's home means she has lost a lot of irreplaceably items, and monetary compensation will not truly make her whole. But at least someone is preparing a funeral for a loved one right now.

Regarding AH, I certainly hope she recovers. Assuming she does, she needs to get some very serious help. I know there has been a lot of discussion of mental health, but she also would appear to have a serious alcohol problem. In addition to that, she seems to have plenty of enablers around her.
Oddly enough, if she was drunk it may have saved her life. She wouldn't have been thinking clearly enough to try to battle through flames. JMO

100%. My brother was killed by a drunk driver when he was only 21. I was 15, and absolutely devastated. ZERO tolerance for any of this.
I
100%. My brother was killed by a drunk driver when he was only 21. I was 15, and absolutely devastated. ZERO tolerance for any of this.

I am so sorry--

I had considered that when she hit the garage, and she saw someone taking photos of her, that she could have possibly panicked and fled. Since reading now that she also hit another car before crashing into the house I highly doubt that. As more comes out I do not think it was a suicide attempt either. I believe she was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs or top of whatever mental issues she has. I think her antics that day were probably a norm for her, meaning that she was trying to function while under the influence, and I do hope there is a full investigation. JMO

"She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention," according to the statement. "She is in a coma and has not regained consciousness since shortly after the accident."

I had considered that when she hit the garage, and she saw someone taking photos of her, that she could have possibly panicked and fled. Since reading now that she also hit another car before crashing into the house I highly doubt that. As more comes out I do not think it was a suicide attempt either. I believe she was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs or top of whatever mental issues she has. I think her antics that day were probably a norm for her, meaning that she was trying to function while under the influence, and I do hope there is a full investigation. JMO

And with that I asked myself, What was she fleeing?

"She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention," according to the statement. "She is in a coma and has not regained consciousness since shortly after the accident."

Wondering if it’s inducted coma for pain, seeing her sit up before entering the ambulance and it was printed in one article that she was struggling. Not sure if that’s why she sit up. Jmo

Given that she is in a coma, my hope for her may be pointless. But I sincerely hope that AH has hit “rock bottom” with this event and can accept (without excuses or blaming others) that she is “powerless” over her addiction, in AA terminology. My father was an alcoholic and didn’t achieve sobriety until his 60’s. I truly hope she lives to see better days.

Not sure of the location where she hit the building, (when photographed) or if that’s where she left from.

Would her blood have been taken on the Friday, but only screened after the warrant was obtained today?
I'd think by now her blood, 3 days later, would not show substance abuse would it?
IMO blood taken the day of the accident should be ok with proper levels of substances since her liver was no longer cleaning it. Assuming of course a sample was taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member