Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone taking photos of her possibly? I have no idea, I've asked if she was speeding before she hit the garage but not sure if that is known.
it doesn't look like she hit that garage very hard. So I don't think she was fleeing. I think she is just intoxicated and didn't know where she was. Then took off when she realized she was in trouble.

Does anyone know the reason why the blood tests may take WEEKS? As a recovering alcoholic, I have been hospitalized several times - not for accidents like this, but for withdrawal symptoms. They always drew my blood immediately - they needed to know my blood alcohol level so that they knew which medications were safe/unsafe to give me. They were able to determine my blood alcohol level very quickly each time, along with a full drug screening. I’m not understanding why this will take them weeks to have results.
Yes. A simple blood test that detects the presence or absence of drugs and/or alcohol will provide results very quickly. This type of test is done as a part of medical treatment.

If a toxicology screen is needed for a court order, or a workplace drug screen, a second test to confirm and verify will be performed.

If a positive test is resulted for more than one drug, each drug detected will require a separate verification and quantification. More tests = more time.

Lab tests are batched, with multiple tests of the same type being performed at the same time. So certain tests might be stored and run on certain days.

Once all the test results are received, they will need to be reviewed by a second pathologist. It is possible that the second pathologist would ask to have one or more of the tests rerun.

Finally the completed toxicology report will be issued.

I have had some unfortunate personal experience with home damage due to disaster. However, in my case I was lucky enough that the home was able to be fixed/salvaged.

However, in the case of LM's home (that she's renting) - it looks to me like this is irrevocably damaged/ruined beyond repair. I.e., I don't think it's worth bothering trying to fix this. I suspect that fixing/repairing the home would cost more money than razing the remains & building a new one.

Home builders/contractors out there, please correct me if I'm wrong here.
I believe you're right. It looks like a total loss.

Yes. A simple blood test that detects the presence or absence of drugs and/or alcohol will provide results very quickly. This type of test is done as a part of medical treatment.

If a toxicology screen is needed for a court order, or a workplace drug screen, a second test to confirm and verify will be performed.

If a positive test is resulted for more than one drug, each drug detected will require a separate verification and quantification. More tests = more time.

Lab tests are batched, with multiple tests of the same type being performed at the same time. So certain tests might be stored and run on certain days.

Once all the test results are received, they will need to be reviewed by a second pathologist. It is possible that the second pathologist would ask to have one or more of the tests rerun.

I do some DUI law and here, the DUI guys that get taken for blood tests, the police seem to usually have the alcohol results, full BAC pretty quick, just a couple days. But the drug results seem to take much longer

… she has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention.

A pulmonary contusion is caused by a very strong blunt force driving into the chest, causing disruption of the lung and pulmonary tissues (bruised lung).
~ JMO possibly from the steering wheel/dash/and or airbag on impact ?

Last edited:
Given that she is in a coma, my hope for her may be pointless. But I sincerely hope that AH has hit “rock bottom” with this event and can accept (without excuses or blaming others) that she is “powerless” over her addiction, in AA terminology. My father was an alcoholic and didn’t achieve sobriety until his 60’s. I truly hope she lives to see better days.

A dear friend of mine was put into a coma by Doctors for his burns and pain control. He ended up surviving, but he went through hell. JMO, it will be touch and go for months They lose the ability to sweat, which, IIRC, can lead to no body temp regulation and kidney failure. Infection is a big deal. It is an endless cycle of scraping away dead skin and skin grafting. So horrific.

A dear friend of mine was put into a coma by Doctors for his burns and pain control. He ended up surviving, but he went through hell. JMO, it will be touch and go for months They lose the ability to sweat, which, IIRC, can lead to no body temp regulation and kidney failure. Infection is a big deal. It is an endless cycle of scraping away dead skin and skin grafting. So horrific.

Yes, I can only imagine what a horrific experience it is. I’m glad your friend survived and I hope he is doing well.

… she has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention.

A pulmonary contusion is caused by a very strong blunt force driving into the chest, causing disruption of the lung and pulmonary tissues (bruised lung).
~ JMO possibly from the steering wheel/dash/and or airbag on impact ?
Maybe. Or inhalation injuries from the smoke or the heat.

On the photo when she crashed into the garage, she is wearing a seat belt. This for me rules out attempted suicide for obvious reasons. IMO
I agree that AH was likely not attempting suicide, but the wearing of a seat belt (for me) does not factor in. Diane Schuler of the infamous Taconic Parkway crash was wearing a seat belt, and I personally believe her crash was a murder-suicide. An impaired person in a fast-moving vehicle may not take the time or be thinking logically enough to unbuckle a seat belt before purposely crashing. It could just be a sudden, desperate, life-ending decision.

jmo

"She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention," according to the statement. "She is in a coma and has not regained consciousness since shortly after the accident."
"A rep for the Emmy winner, 53, said in a statement to PEOPLE that Heche is now in "critical condition" at the hospital."

And "“At this time Anne is in extreme critical condition."

Wasn't it reported earlier that she was "stable" and out of the ICU?

Thanks!!

"A rep for the Emmy winner, 53, said in a statement to PEOPLE that Heche is now in "critical condition" at the hospital."

And "“At this time Anne is in extreme critical condition."

Wasn't it reported earlier that she was "stable" and out of the ICU?
Burn victims can quickly worsen, especially if their lungs and trachea are burned. And infection is a real possibility. Then they can go into sepsis and their organs can begin to shut down.

I am NOT speculating on Heche’s condition. Just stating why burn victims in general can rapidly worsen.

Care to list the number of reasons to which you're referring?

I'm thinking (in order of likelihood):
1) Drugs/alcohol + mental health crisis
2) Drugs or alcohol only
3) Mental health crisis only
4) Other medical event (e.g., brain tumor causing erratic behavior)
5) Suicide attempt (technically could fall under #1 or #3 too)
6) Car malfunction - very unlikely considering prior behavior with previous hit & run

Can't think of anything that's more likely than drugs/alcohol + mental health crisis, frankly.

I wasn't really talking about what is or isn't likely. My point is there are a number of other reasons, which you've listed above. Once someone is known to have a mental illness, it seems everything else is blamed on it. Saw a young man with bipolar disorder when I was a medical student. I saw him in the emergency room after an accident in which it was assumed a manic episode caused the crash. Actually, turned out the guy had a seizure and was admitted to neurology for workup. But because he had bipolar in his chart, you'd be amazed how quickly so many jumped to "is he taking his meds?" "how long has he been manic?" "was this a suicide attempt?"

Does anyone know the reason why the blood tests may take WEEKS? As a recovering alcoholic, I have been hospitalized several times - not for accidents like this, but for withdrawal symptoms. They always drew my blood immediately - they needed to know my blood alcohol level so that they knew which medications were safe/unsafe to give me. They were able to determine my blood alcohol level very quickly each time, along with a full drug screening. I’m not understanding why this will take them weeks to have results.

Confirmatory testing is likely being done since it's a criminal investigation. The doctors got what they needed in the moment (just like in your case). But with criminality, they do more intense toxicology testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member