Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't really talking about what is or isn't likely. My point is there are a number of other reasons, which you've listed above. Once someone is known to have a mental illness, it seems everything else is blamed on it. Saw a young man with bipolar disorder when I was a medical student. I saw him in the emergency room after an accident in which it was assumed a manic episode caused the crash. Actually, turned out the guy had a seizure and was admitted to neurology for workup. But because he had bipolar in his chart, you'd be amazed how quickly so many jumped to "is he taking his meds?" "how long has he been manic?" "was this a suicide attempt?"

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to ask those questions and it would be irresponsible NOT to address them in the scenario you described. Of course, one shouldn't wear blinders and only zoom in on ONE idea/assumption at the expense of ignoring other possible scenarios.

In the case of AH, we know she has a history of mental illness and drug/alcohol problems, so IMO it's reasonable to speculate that her crash was related to one or both these issues. There really isn't much else that could explain her behavior as very few in their right mind would speed around town crashing into cars and buildings.

A Venice, California, salon owner is recounting his interaction with Anne Heche shortly before she crashed a car into a home, causing the residence to catch on fire.
Richard Glass, owner of Glass Hair Design in Venice, told The Los Angeles Times that Heche was at his salon, roughly two miles from the crash site, that morning and "wasn't speaking in cursive" at the time. (He said he uses the phrase "speaking in cursive" to describe someone who seems intoxicated.)

Heche, 53, was inside a blue Mini Cooper when it hit a home in Los Angeles on Friday. Her representative told PEOPLE on Monday that the actress is in "critical condition" at the hospital.

"She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention," according to the statement. "She is in a coma and has not regained consciousness since shortly after the accident."

I feel so badly for her, and her family. Also the family who lost their home.

Burns are the most painful condition to have. I have worked with children who wear compression clothing to help the skin heal after bad burns. We had one little boy in our classroom with blind children. The other kids were very cruel to him, so the IEP team thought it was a better placement for him.

Part of recovery from extensive burns is dealing with the disfigurement. Anne Heche will have a lot of adjustment if she recovers.

I know a person working in burn unit. She can ask for anything from me; I can only imagine what she is seeing daily, and she has been with them for long.

I also know an adult who survived something similar. After years and years of plastic surgeries, there is still enough traces left… it is a horrible experience.

Very sad.

Heche, 53, was inside a blue Mini Cooper when it hit a home in Los Angeles on Friday. Her representative told PEOPLE on Monday that the actress is in "critical condition" at the hospital.

"She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention," according to the statement. "She is in a coma and has not regained consciousness since shortly after the accident."
Interesting article. The salon is 2 miles from the crash site. It seems she had just left the salon, where her hair was done and she bought a wig, and soon crashed. The salon owner indicates she didn't seem intoxicated to him.

She did, however, grab his face and ask if he had done her hair previously. He found her to be delightful. Might just be the combination of their personalities interacting in the moment. It might also be an indicator that an acute mental health event is afoot. I can't speak to her personality, that may be rather usual for her.

The woman who lost all of her possessions is not the home owner. The home owner comments on the losses, the tenants and hers, as that was her first rental and her first tenant.

"He told The Times that Heche, who he said acted like "a sweet little girl," was "very pleasant," calling their meeting "very, very random" and "so strange."

"Glass added that, during their interaction, Heche "grabbed my face" and wondered if he had done her hair before. He said he hadn't but offered to work with her."
(same
link as above)

To me, this doesn't sound normal at all. Who grabs a stranger's face? If you walked into a hair salon, would you walk up to the hairdresser, grab their face and ask "Have you done my hair before?" I would be really disturbed if that happened to me and would want to get away from that person immediately. But apparently the hairdresser thought this 53-yr-old woman was a "sweet little girl" (very puzzling description!)...while also noting that the meeting was "so strange." Honestly the hairdresser sounds quite strange too.

We can neither predict, nor understand human behavior. <modsnip - off topic> I am not sure about Anne. She might be buying wigs just for some “chromotherapy”. For all I know, she could even have a drink merely for the courage. Or maybe it was just an unplanned, unhappy situation. Afraid we’ll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can neither predict, nor understand human behavior.<modsnip - off topic> No one noticed him being any different from the rest of us. I am not sure about Anne. She might be buying wigs just for some “chromotherapy”. For all I know, she could even have a drink merely for the courage. Or maybe it was just an unplanned, unhappy situation. Afraid we’ll never know.
Yes, I suppose it's part of the human condition to try to make sense, analyze what might have been missed, try to piece together one's intentions and frame of mind. But you're so right; human behavior can be extremely unpredictable.

"He told The Times that Heche, who he said acted like "a sweet little girl," was "very pleasant," calling their meeting "very, very random" and "so strange."

"Glass added that, during their interaction, Heche "grabbed my face" and wondered if he had done her hair before. He said he hadn't but offered to work with her."
(same
link as above)

To me, this doesn't sound normal at all. Who grabs a stranger's face? If you walked into a hair salon, would you walk up to the hairdresser, grab their face and ask "Have you done my hair before?" I would be really disturbed if that happened to me and would want to get away from that person immediately. But apparently the hairdresser thought this 53-yr-old woman was a "sweet little girl" (very puzzling description!)...while also noting that the meeting was "so strange." Honestly the hairdresser sounds quite strange too.
The last sentence made me literally laugh out loud! I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did. Grabbing his face would be outrageous behavior for me, and I can't imagine ever doing anything like that. On the other hand, I'm not very Hollywood or SoCal. LOL So, I thought maybe it was just me. <modsnip>

The last sentence made me literally laugh out loud! I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did. Grabbing his face would be outrageous behavior for me, and I can't imagine ever doing anything like that. On the other hand, I'm not very Hollywood or SoCal. LOL So, I thought maybe it was just me. I thought maybe she was having her own Tom Cruz jumping on the couch moment.
Adding that his "sweet little girl" description weirded me out, and my ick meter hit 11!

That's what Heche's insurance is for. Hopefully she has a fantastic policy.
Although, imo, if the woman is made whole...

Does anyone ever not go to litigation anymore? No wonder our court system never comes close to catching up. MOO The woman's home will be rebuilt. She and her dogs made it out alive and uninjured. Does anyone ever just thank their lucky stars and let that be enough? MOO

Made whole? I don’t think that that’s possible.

Last edited:
The pics of interior of "uninhabitable" home now

Last edited:

(same
link as above)

His studio is close to the beach, bout 7 minute drive to crash site. Looking at maps it appears that the incident where she almost hit the pedestrian is in the area of elkgrove ave. Also it looks like it was 10:? On this clip of her.

Jmo

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to ask those questions and it would be irresponsible NOT to address them in the scenario you described. Of course, one shouldn't wear blinders and only zoom in on ONE idea/assumption at the expense of ignoring other possible scenarios.

In the case of AH, we know she has a history of mental illness and drug/alcohol problems, so IMO it's reasonable to speculate that her crash was related to one or both these issues. There really isn't much else that could explain her behavior as very few in their right mind would speed around town crashing into cars and buildings.

I respectfully disagree. While there is nothing wrong with entertaining that, homing in on it as was done in the case I mentioned is terrible medicine and could quickly become malpractice if acute pathology is mistaken for mental illness. Some doctors have found themselves on the losing end of a malpractice suit in some of those cases. I've always believed we need to stop blaming mental illness for all the ills of the world and making assumptions without evidence. There is no evidence that AH was psychotic, which is what prompted this discussion. It's much more likely she was drinking.

In terms of your second paragraph, as I said there are medical causes of such behavior. For example, steroid drugs can make someone experience manic or psychotic symptoms. The period following a seizure (called post-ictal) can be known to do that as well. A stroke could have that affect. She might have none of those, we don't know. But we shouldn't all jump to the belief that she was psychotic just because of her history.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. While there is nothing wrong with entertaining that, homing in on it as was done in the case I mentioned is terrible medicine and could quickly become malpractice if acute pathology is mistaken for mental illness. Some doctors have found themselves on the losing end of a malpractice suit in some of those cases. I've always believed we need to stop blaming mental illness for all the ills of the world and making assumptions without evidence. There is no evidence that AH was psychotic, which is what prompted this discussion. It's much more likely she was drinking.

In terms of your second paragraph, as I said there are medical causes of such behavior. For example, steroid drugs can make someone experience manic or psychotic symptoms. The period following a seizure (called post-ictal) can be known to do that as well. A stroke could have that affect. She might have none of those, we don't know. But we shouldn't all jump to the belief that she was psychotic just because of her history.

As I stated above, of course in medical settings it's NOT safe to zoom in based on one assumption. I'm a clinical pharmacist myself and understand this very well. Thankfully, we're not in a medical setting here, and we aren't treating AH, so we don't have to worry about malpractice suits or harming patients. I don't think there is anything wrong with speculating what could be the most likely cause of her puzzling behavior on this forum. I think that's a primary reason many people post here -- to try to make sense of cases using the info available. If we were not allowed to make reasonable speculations based on facts & logic, it would get awfully boring.

Last edited:

(same
link as above)

BBM Well he apparently recognizes "speaking in cursive". I've never heard that before.

BBM Well he apparently recognizes "speaking in cursive". I've never heard that before.
After thinking about what "speaking in cursive" could mean, and why someone would use that to describe someone intoxicated... it dawned on me that cursive is written with the letters connected together for form words, and inebriated people often slur her words, although not always. I watched one of her podcasts where it was obvious she was drunk and she did quite well speaking for the most part (also she seemed a tad manic). Every once in a while she'd slur her words, but not the entire time. So... maybe she wasn't there long enough, nor did she say anything she'd have trouble getting out, therefore she wasn't "speaking in cursive" to him, yet she was still intoxicated. Some people hold their liquor quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member