Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anne Heche died on the day of accident when she slipped into coma.
Her brain died.
She was kept ventilated and supported by machines.
RIP

MOO
There are a whole series of clinical tests that need to be performed by doctors before they can determine if brain stem death has happened.
A coma doesn't mean death. Many people have come out of comas. Also remember that many comas are medically induced to assist intubation and ventilation.

Coma and brain stem death are 2 completely different things.

There are a whole series of clinical tests that need to be performed by doctors before they can determine if brain stem death has happened.
A coma doesn't mean death. Many people have come out of comas. Also remember that many comas are medically induced to assist intubation and ventilation.

Coma and brain stem death are 2 completely different things.
I read about brain stem death.
She could not function without machinery.

I think the opposite personally. Obviously it is something that should be made very clear to the population so you have the chance to opt out,or to specify which organs you are willing to donate but I think its a good thing generally.
A lot of people who carried donor cards and who were registered on the list never had the conversation with their loved ones and made their wishes clear and sometimes relatives didn't accept the choice in the worst moment of their lives and refused to honour the patients wishes and so perfectly viable organs were lost.
I personally don't agree that next of kin should be allowed to over rule a donors wishes,if they carry a donor card and their name is on the list that decision should be honoured. I can see how that would be hard for relatives to bear though.
I have had had discussion with my family,even the younger children,I know their wishes and they know mine and I would urge everyone to have the conversation just in case.

All Moo and all other opinions respected, we are all different :)
I'm with you on this. It's kinda like the 401K opt-out rules. You are now automatically enrolled into something that's in your best interest (to save for retirement). If you don't want to, or can't afford to, you simply opt out, but it's done in your best interest to auto opt you in. At least it makes those new to the workplace aware of 401K plans and make a conscience effort to figure out what's best for them.

As for donor opt-out or you're in... it's for the best interest for all those waiting for a donation so they can live. I find that a lot of people just don't pay a lot of attention to details (my personal experience from decades of being in the workplace so no link. lol). So having them opt out if they don't want to leads to more donations and more lives saved than opting in. I think that's a good thing. If you don't want to, by all means... opt out.

OK, really stupid question as I obviously don't know much about these things. Also, a warning this may be a bit morbid. I apologize for that but I'm truly curious about this one fact. :(

What now if they determine there are organ(s) that they can take for donation? I realize her brain is dead, and according to CA law, she's legally dead. But her heart is still beating. Do they wait for that to stop on its own before taking any organs? Or do they take the organs and the heart will likely stop beating at that point? Or do they manually stop it first? TIA
The heart is being kept beating by artificial means. That will be withdrawn once any suitable organs have been harvested.

Anne Heche dead at 53​

Stephanie Giang-Paunon,Tracy Wright - 1h ago
Heche's son confirmed his mom's death in a statement, saying, "My brother Atlas and I lost our Mom. After six days of almost unbelievable emotional swings, I am left with a deep, wordless sadness. Hopefully my mom is free from pain and beginning to explore what I like to imagine as her eternal freedom. Over those six days, thousands of friends, family, and fans made their hearts known to me. I am grateful for their love, as I am for the support of my Dad, Coley, and my stepmom Alexi who continue to be my rock during this time. Rest In Peace Mom, I love you, Homer."

I'm with you on this. It's kinda like the 401K opt-out rules. You are now automatically enrolled into something that's in your best interest (to save for retirement). If you don't want to, or can't afford to, you simply opt out, but it's done in your best interest to auto opt you in. At least it makes those new to the workplace aware of 401K plans and make a conscience effort to figure out what's best for them.

As for donor opt-out or you're in... it's for the best interest for all those waiting for a donation so they can live. I find that a lot of people just don't pay a lot of attention to details (my personal experience from decades of being in the workplace so no link. lol). So having them opt out if they don't want to leads to more donations and more lives saved than opting in. I think that's a good thing. If you don't want to, by all means... opt out.

Agree on the opt out option if one does not want it. And I recall at hospital being told some Jewish beliefs include all body parts buried together upon death, incl earlier amputations, and opt out is available. Jme

Last edited:
She has a movie premiering on Lifetime next month.

1660344572683.png

One of Anne Heche's final projects was a testament to her fight against violence and abuse.

Elisabeth Röhm, the director of the upcoming Lifetime film Girl in Room 13, opens up to PEOPLE about Heche's "beautiful, passionate, bright light" after the actress died at age 53 on Friday, following a fiery car crash last week.

"She was just a total pleasure, a hero for the film. She became a good friend and did a phenomenal job," Röhm, 49, says. "Her performance is a tour de force, and it was really a privilege to direct her."

In Girl in Room 13, Heche played Janie, the "heroic mother" of a recovering opioid addict (Larissa Dias) who is kidnapped by human traffickers. The movie follows Janie's determined fight to rescue her daughter.

"Every single morning, she would come to set and she said, 'We will not stand for abuse!' And she would pump her fist and have this just beautiful, bright smile. She was so committed to making an incredibly deep, profound, important performance," Röhm adds.

<modsnip for copyright rules>

Girl in Room 13 premieres Sept. 17 on Lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the resident of the damaged home also have smoke inhalation injuries from the fire? I hope the neighbor doesn’t have guilt that he wasn’t able to free Anne from the vehicle. He was a hero for even attempting.

This is really nice of the woman whose rental was burned down. She could be angry, yet she's sending love. What a nice person. The world needs more like that. :)

That is a beautiful thing. With Anne Heche's car accident, there has been a lot of loss: someone's life, someone's Mom, someone's house, someone's entire possessions, but I hope what everyone has gained is a better appreciation of the frailties and torment that the people who have been sexually abused still have every day in their lives.
Despite decades that pass, they never seem to truly heal.
I hope that a national charity is set up in Anne Heche's name to help past sexual abuse survivors speak out and come to terms with their inner torment.

Be at peace, Anne.

“She came in hot and she had a lot to say and she was brave and fearless, loved really hard and was never afraid to let us know what she thinks and what she believed in. It was all about love so goodbye, Anne. Love you, thank you for the good times, there were so many. And in the meantime, I got our son and he will be fine. Love you.”

My concern about organ donation in her case would be her history of substance abuse. However, even if her solid organs aren't suitable for transplant, tissue donation (bone, skin, vein, heart valve, corneas, cartilage, etc.) may be a possibility.

My friend's stepson had knee cartilage surgery a couple years ago, and when they found out his couldn't be repaired, they had cadaver cartilage available, and replaced it with that. Of course, they asked if he would have to take rejection drugs, and the answer was no; cartilage does not have much of a blood supply, and by the time his body would reject it, his own tissues would have grown back.
I'm sure her family would feel better if they knew AH was able to help someone in this manner. I hope it is possible.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member